“Good location, wonderful building, very poor housekeeping”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Amesbury B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“Good location, wonderful building, very poor housekeeping”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Just had 2 rooms for 3 nights.
The history of the building explains much - an historical resting house for pilgrims to Amesbury Abbey. The property is wonderful and OLD, so wooden beams, wobbly, uneven and squeaky floors, fireplaces to die for,very dim lighting. Unfortunately spoilt by modern requirements. This place was not designed for en suites, TV's, or modern lightling or electrical sockets. Is there sound proofing - I dont think so, I had no sleep 3 nights as you can hear every bodily function not to mention TV from next door, upstairs etc.
Main grudge which there is no excuse for - poor housekeeping. The place is filthy. The decor is 1980's, OK, but there is no excuse for hairy showers/baths/floors - like tumbleweed. Dirty cups, mirrors, basins,every door where anyone has ever touched is filthy! Including downstairs - dirty crockery, plates and glasses.
No housekeeping for the 3 nights so had to ask lovely barman for clean towels on 3rd night as we were desperate for a wash and dry towels!
Evening 'buffet' - don't even go there!
If a company were to throw millions here it would be amazing!
Would I stay there again - possibly but I would never let my parents go here!! I am 50 and taking late teens so weren't expecting 5* - but did expect clean.
Do not stay over a weekend as this is the place for young peoples entertainment in this village and till 2am. I would imagine hideously noisy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Recently booked a 2 night stay at the George Hotel in Amesbury SP4 7ET. I had a single room 11 and will start by saying DONT STAY. The room was small cramped and at no time did it get cleanded or did I have my bed made up. The decor was old tired and the bed was in a similar state.

Seeing as I was using the hotel for a business stay I would expect a decent internet WIFI connection this also was poor to say the least.

The lady that runs the Kitchen was the only part of my stay that resembled a happy thought seeing as she was polite, friendly. The quaility of food was not very high but the lady did her very best.

Not a venue I would recomend to anyone bar that ot the locals who frequent the bar.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank S P

Travelers are raving about these Amesbury hotels

Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

Have used the hotel many times for a drink and food and all ways been great . August 9th used the hotel for our wedding sit down meal for 40 then In evening buffet and disco for 100 oh my god what a perfect day . Lynne had it all perfect and all the staff were fantastic .We also had perfect honeymoon room no 22 massive four poster bed crazy powerfull shower amazing day . Just want to say THANKYOU to Lynne & Stuart and all the staff for a day to remember forever PERFECT

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Accomadatio
London
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I arrived at the George Hotel at about 9pm on a Friday with no booking, and chose this hotel as I just needed somewhere to stay for one night and a single room in another hotel less than 2 minutes away was twice as expensive! When I enquired about availability, I was immediately warned that there was a karaoke event until 2am, but I thought I'd take my chances. There was a minor problem initially as my room hadn't been made up, but this was addressed promptly. The hotel itself is fascinating, with creaky old floors and sloping ceilings - really interesting!
My room was along several corridors (on the second floor) and was a decent size with a window overlooking the street. I had an en suite single room and the bathroom could possibly have done with a makeover (bit of mould around the bottom of the shower cubicle), although the strength of the shower was great and the towels etc were fine. The bed was ok, not massively comfortable, but clean. The karaoke started at 10pm, but by the time I'd had a shower, a hot drink and read my book for a while, I was ready for sleep just after 11pm and I didn't hear any more karaoke noises - and that was with the window open! To be honest, it wasn't really the music that was very noisy, it was the people who were standing in the street (smoking?) who were talking fairly loudly (with the odd squawk from tipsy-sounding girls - though THAT might have been the karaoke!) Anyway, I slept well, so it didn't affect me.
Breakfast was a pleasant surprise. It was one of those buffet style breakfasts for cereal, toast, fruit, yoghurt etc, with a waitress service for the cooked breakfast. I am vegan, so my choices were limited (and I hadn't booked previously) but the cooked breakfast was tasty, with hash brown, mushroom beans and tomato, well presented. The coffee was nice too.
The staff I met were friendly and helpful and I enjoyed my brief stay.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, find out when the entertainment nights are!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank etymology
North Cyprus
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Yes, as suggested by another contributor, we ignored the bad reviews and paid £70 for a room in this hotel. To be honest, I wish we had left as soon as we saw the bathroom! It was awful, the shower was covered in mould. The bathroom sink taps hadn't been cleaned either. My husband made the mistake of putting his suitcase on top of the wardrobe and this was then covered in dust. ALL the surfaces in the room were dirty, had not seen a duster in a long time. I know this is an old hotel but no excuse for dirt. We had been told that they had a singer there in the evening but from our room we wouldn't hear it...oh yes, we did! We also heard the people leaving the karaoke at some ungodly hour banging car doors and shouting. It may look like a "charming" hotel but believe me photos don't lie! I would never stay in this place again. Maybe the good reviews were people given a different room that had been cleaned!

Room Tip: Our room faced the main road and was so noisy from the people leaving the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank magwii
Luxembourg
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This hotel was full of character, with sloping floors and deformed corridors. The staff were very friendly and the service was good. The price was excellent. My room was very comfortable, clean and well-equipped. The location was excellent and there was plenty of choice for dining out or sampling real ales. The atmosphere was very old English with hospitality to match. My room was above the bar and on a couple of occasions I could hear the music and general hubbub. However, that did not go on too late and I slept very well every night. If I rent a room in a pub hotel, I am willing to take the chance that there might be some noise.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We really enjoyed this Hotel, very old and full of charm, had a great pub downstairs with wonderful food. I would stay here again, Amesbury was fun to walk around and within minutes of Stonehenge. Loads of water pressure and a huge bathroom. Highly recommend it to anyone not looking for glass and chrome. We stayed at a Hilton the next night and were so disappointed afterwards, we wished we had just stayed another night here..so much better

Room Tip: If you want quiet ask for a higher up room on the side away from the sports pub across the courtyard...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amesbury
Travelodge Amesbury Stonehenge Hotel
#8 of 16 in Salisbury
City Lodge
City Lodge
#14 of 16 in Salisbury

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!