“Lovely place just minutes from Stonehenge :)”
Review of The Antrobus Hotel

The Antrobus Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Amesbury
GreenLeadersGold level
Rota, Spain
“Lovely place just minutes from Stonehenge :)”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Our main goal was to see stonehenge so we wanted a family orientated establishment and we hit the nail right on the head. We stayed 1 night and our room was very modern,clean, cosy and up to date. We were greeted by warm friendly staff and the owner. Lovely cosy bar.The breakfast was outstanding!!! I defintely recommend it!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jolibee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Polish first
London, England
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The staff were friendly....but the hotel is run down, the rooms are miniscule and the food offering not extensive especially if you dont eat meat. We had to go out to eat...and there really isnt much choice in the area. Location? couldnt be better if you are visiting stonehenge.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pippinc
Salisbury
Reviewed December 25, 2012

My friend turned 50 recently and had an amazing birthday party at Antrobus Hotel. I would like to thank the Hotel team led by Mr Bob Fanton and assistant Elaine. They recommended and booked a fantastic night of entertainment led by local group The Tofs and a Very funny London comedian. People came from all over the country for the party and agreed the food was fantastic and the rooms amazing.. We had a wonderful cooked breakfast the next morning served by very attentive staff. Once again, loved the location and a massive thank you to the hotel team.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank LawmanSalisbury
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I needed somewhere to stay the night before the Solstice at Stone Henge, I found the Antrobus on the net. The area is charming and tidy, it is about a half hour walk to Stonehenge. I found the staff to be friendly, courteous and very helpful.
This hotel is privately owned and this for me was a good thing, it doesn't have the artificial or sterile feel that many modern hotels have.
I enjoyed the bar with it's open fireplace friendly staff and punters, this is a very popular bar and there were no poker machines or loud blaring music to detract from the very traditonal atmosphere.
The room I had had a comfortable bed with new clean linen, very new, very clean towels were supplied in the bathroom.
My only criticism was that the central heating didn't appear to work but oil column heaters were supplied in the room.
I had a quiet night, no pumping music nor any shouting only the sound of the nearby church clock tower chiming.
The Beatles once stayed here back in the 60s so the place really has some nice history!
I enjoyed my stay and would do so again and probably will at next year's Solstice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Freedom M
Miami, FL
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed here on a road trip around the UK. We arrived after 8:00 PM with no reservations and were given a lovely room with a view of the garden. Being Americans we found everything about this hotel charming, from the shutters on the window to the cute (well maintained) furniture. After reading the reviews I have to assume that our room was a recently renovated room (#11) as it was in great condition, the bed was small (normal for England) but very comfortable and the bathroom was all new. The common room was geat, lovely fire place, good conversation, and a wonderful attendant, Beth, who was helpful and friendly. We had a great night sleep, very peaceful, no noise, and had a delicious breakfast in the morning. Not too sure about the black pudding, but the eggs were some of the best I have had, scambled, buttery, and fluffy. This hotel and its staff are great and I would high recommend!

Room Tip: Bonus: complimentary parking was available across the street
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Island-Hopper_77
Orpington, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Yes there is a renovation programme underway, that said I've stayed in renovated rooms and still I have issues. We stay here as its convenient for work I wish there were better as convenient but there isn't.

My last stay was the Beatles suite, I'm glad so glad I didn't make a special trip for this as no doubt some fans will do. A radiator and a heater, neither worked. The only warmth from a towel rail. The bathroom is grubby, the toilet seat horrendous!

Nice bed, nice sofa but too cold to enjoy sitting on it. Some of the towels I wouldn't lean my motorbike with they were so ragged and thread-bare.

The sole member of staff on duty on the customer side worked her butt off and was very friendly with it.

Signs of cut backs: smoked salmon & scrambled egg dropped from breakfast as has black pudding. Biscuits gone from tea trays. Towels that belong in rag banks.

Another stay, another room.

Room Tip: Be lucky, be very lucky!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jud9e_man

Travelers are raving about these Amesbury hotels

Reviewed October 20, 2012

As described in the title, the Antrobus was obviously once a great traditional hotel but is now in dire need of investment.
The location is great, located in the heart of Amesbury with good links to Salisbury.
The decor is dark and tired as are the rooms.
Having stayed in several rooms, the plumbing has a mind of its own, blowing hot and cold but never just right.
The Beatles Suite is an interesting nostalgic alternative, a shame the rest of the hotel is not even close to this standard.
This could be great again, with some TCL and an injection of capital.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Deodonatus
antrobusarms, General Manager at The Antrobus Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you for your comments, however had you stayed with us in the past eleven months you will have not failed to notice the significant improvements we have made to both public areas and to the majority of our bedrooms. In early November we will re-commence our refurbishment and redecoration programme following a "break" over the busy Summer months.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amesbury
Holiday Inn Salisbury Stonehenge
Premier Inn Salisbury North Bishopdown Hotel
King's Head Inn
King's Head Inn
#3 of 16 in Salisbury

Been to The Antrobus Hotel? Share your experiences!