Open today: 9:30 AM - 7:00 PM

Book in advance
from
$104.55
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Stonehenge
from $104.55
from $70.11
from $103.32
from $72.57
14,654 results
All reviews audio guide english heritage shuttle bus gift shop bucket list visitor center actual site car park actual stones summer solstice entrance fee world heritage site walk up stone circle awe inspiring national trust members burial mounds
Sort and selected filters
Sort Filter
Reviewed October 2, 2014

IMPORTANT NOTE! I believe you need to make reservations beforehand as the number of people allowed on site is limited, make sure you ring them and check!
Maybe it was my high expectation about this place but I was a bit underwhelmed.
The big unpleasant thing was the smell, there are some pig farms (famous English bacon) in the vicinity and I believe the wind was blowing the wrong way.
I hoped to have some sort of emotional experience (the kind I had at Delphi in Greece) but the stones sat far away and in silence. I wish I could touch them, same place that has been touched by our ancestors. I understand why is not possible but it did affect my experience.
You can choose to use the shuttle (at full load at the time of visit) or walk (a rather long walk).
Tourist/information centre is well organised with a small refreshments hall and, most important because you will need it, spacious toilets.
Our (rental car) GPS did not find the right way, as the old entrance was just next to the site, now you drive another few kilometers all the way around to the new centre.
Parking is 5 pound but I think is refundable, we have been asked if we visit and were allowed in without the fee.

Date of experience: August 2014
1  Thank Cristtos
Reviewed October 2, 2014

If you have an interest in history or archaeology then Stonehenge is probably one of those places that you have to see at least once in your life. For others it will be a bunch of rocks. Having wanted to see it since studying about it in grade 7, it was worth the cost and time for myself. It's only taken 40 years for me to finally see Stonehenge for real so the experience was quite emotional for me. My wife and daughter thought it was OK. To each their own, I suppose.

We only wanted to see Stonehenge so we took one of the half day tours from London. We used Premium Tours for our visit and the trip from start to finish was very good. With London traffic the total trip took about 6 hours which includes about 1 hour and 20 minutes at Stonehenge. Be careful not to miss your bus back

There's a nice visitors centre at the site with trams that take you up to Stonehenge. You no longer are able to walk among the stones but you do get close enough to take decent photos with your average point and shoot digital camera.

Reviewed October 2, 2014

I have wanted to see Stonehenge for as long as I can remember, so when I realised how close it was to Bristol, I had to include it in my travel plans while I visited the city.

The drive was about 90 minutes and we were met with plenty of parking at the visitor centre. We had pre-booked online (£13.90 per ticket) so were able to get our tickets quickly on arrival. There wasn’t a clear sign pointing in the direction of Stonehenge, and with people heading in all directions we weren’t entirely sure what direction to go in initially and had to ask someone. Once we had it sussed we walked instead of taking the shuttle.

It was a nice day so we enjoyed the walk which maybe took about 20 minutes. I was waiting for Stonehenge to appear and when it did I was a little disappointed. I imagined it being more out in the open, instead it was next to construction work (building a new car park area I believe) and all the shuttle buses. My first sight wasn’t the “wow” moment I had hoped for.

Once we got closer the trend seemed to be to walk around clockwise, however there was a backlog with lots of people standing with their audio tours at the start so we opted to go anti-clockwise and the crowds were much thinner. We got lots of opportunities to take photos with nobody around and as you go around there are parts where you are closer to the stones than other spots.

It is a shame that you aren’t able to get up close to the stones, but at the same time it means you aren’t getting photos with people hugging them in the background so I guess it worked out for the best. After I booked I realised you could book to go early morning or late at night and go into the middle of the circle (more expensive at £21). That would have been good, but the times wouldn’t have suited us anyway so wasn’t sad at missing out on that for long.

The exhibition was interesting and the shop expensive when compared to other tourist sites we have visited, but I wasn’t leaving without a magnet!

Overall I enjoyed it and was glad I finally got to see it. With so many people around it’s certainly hard to have a spiritual experience but it’s still a good place to visit and was an enjoyable afternoon out for us.

Reviewed October 2, 2014

Stonehenge, a question on each one who views it from all angles is why was it built, what was it's purpose? Was it for sacrifices, religious ceremonies, we may never know.. It would have required great skill to build. Many scholars still associate Stonehenge with the Druids. To protect it, they have a circle to walk around a bit of a distance away from it, headphones with information on different parts of the stones. Very interesting.

Reviewed October 2, 2014

Words cannot express what an amazing experience my family had with our Stonehenge tour. We booked our tour with Premium Tours and we could not have booked with a better company. I will add that it does cost $180.00 a person with this tour company however it is well worth the money. We left London in a comfortable bus and drove out of London for about 2 hours. The first place our tour took us to was Baths, London. There I expected to only see the Roman Baths but to my surprise it was an entire city/neighborhood which was gorgeous! We went into the Roman Baths, which the entrance was included and were able to walk around and see how the Romans lived. After my family finished the Roman Baths tour we found a pub where we sat and were able to enjoy a very cold beer. Our tour continued and we stopped in a delicious restaurant to grab a late lunch. On our 2 hour ride to Baths, the tour guide passed around a menu from this restaurant and called in our food and drink order in order to have it ready for when we arrived. The restaurant name was Rose and Crown and I must say it has to be the best chicken pot pie I have ever had in my life! The food here was no included however it was not expensive at all. The tour guide gave us about an hour to eat and from there we headed to Stonehenge.

When we arrived to Stonehenge the attraction was already closed off for the public; our tour was the only one who were allowed into the attraction area. When we arrived to the actual Stonehenge site we were able to walk up to the actual rocks, not touch them, but we were in the circle, between the rocks. A plus to our tour was that we were there during sunset which gave us amazing pictures.

Our overall experience with Premium Tours was beyond expected. We were comfortable, the tour guide was very informative, the locations we visited were amazing and the food was impeccable. I recommend everyone visiting London to take a day trip to Stonehenge. It is a once in a lifetime experience.