“WOW!”

Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Amesbury
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the most important survivals of prehistoric England, Stonehenge consists of a group of huge rough-cut stones, some more than 20 feet high, arranged in two concentric circles.
Hobart, Australia
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“WOW!”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We ( my husband, daughter and myself) were lucky enough to arrive at Stonehenge the night before the Autumn Ecquinox. We did the tourist thing and walked around the henge taking photo's and just relaxing, we spoke to a guide who told us about the following morning when there would be free and open access between 6am and 8am. We found a B&B spent the night and arrived at 5.30am just as the Druids arrived. I cannot describe the experience other than to say it was something I will never forget. I also was fortunate to have photo's taken with a group of Druids at the beginning of the day. If I am ever able to come back to the UK. I will time my visit around such an occasion.

1 Thank Patricia A

• Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Been there, done that...”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

It's one of those places that you put in your bucket list as a must see, but once you've been you probably will not come back again.

You will not get disappointed as it is truly an amazing man made wonder. Go around at your own pace or use the audio tour provided with admission. We got there early so parking was not an issue, with less people around we took some good photos all around. Really enjoyed our time and it is worth the trip out.

Visited September 2012
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
118 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 187 helpful votes
“A fantastic place to go to re engergise yourself.”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

People come from all over the world to see these stones and I am lucky to only need to travel 40 minutes. I have been here a number of times whether its a quick 10 minute walk around or a longer leisurely walk.

The stones are closed off so you cannot go and climb over them which is a real bonus. You see them in their entirety which also makes them perfect to photograph.

Aylesbury, England, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Tip for NT members”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stonehenge is a must-see, so the 4 stars is a compromise between how the site is managed (could do a bit better) and the experience itself (5 stars). Parking was a bit tight: large tracts of the car park had been sealed off for no discernible reason leaving staff to push off hapless customers caught in the mud. Stonehenge is in need of a visitor centre although I believe one is planned. Visitors are kept to a path which gets you close but not personal with the stones. That I guess cannot be helped (although I sometimes wonder how much damage can the kids do to a 45 tonne stone?). Visitors get a free audio guide although I bought the souvenir guide book which was reasonably priced and informative. I have to say I thought the experience would not be much better than seeing Stonehenge from the road but I was wrong. From the path Stonehenge is very impressive: you can see that in its heyday it would have been an awe-inspiring sight. My main gripe is that after our visit I discovered it should have been free to us as National Trust members - this was not advertised or explained. I guess the money goes to a good cause but the lack of information on this was in contrast to the energy English Heritage puts into selling membership to the queue.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Well worth seeing at least once in your life”
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

This was a visit I wasn't too excited about but once I was there... Wow!
The price of admission included an audio tour that was both educational and entertaining. The stones themselves were a wonder to behold. I may never go back, but it's a place that I am very pleased to have visited.