“Disappointed birthday return to the brasserie”

Wentbridge House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wentbridge
Yorkshire
“Disappointed birthday return to the brasserie”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have had some fantastic meals here including our wedding reception and we reserve this location for special occasions only, as it is normally such a treat. There are 2 staples I have each time, a bottle of St Clair Sauvingnon and the sticky toffee pudding (both are still good). Having eaten here a few times we have a high benchmark on what the experience will be like so expected the same. We left the restaurant on Saturday disappointed. After sitting at the table with menus for 25 minutes our order was finally taken. I ordered sirloin steak medium rare - which arrived blue so was sent straight back. When returning the plate I asked them to just put it back on the grill so that I could at least eat with my husband. They remade the whole plate(which I suppose is normal but would have rather they listened to my request as I had not eaten anything on the plate, only cut into the steak with a clean knife) - so I sat and watched him eat and then he had to watch me eat. Never a good experience to not get to eat together when dining together. On the return plate, they had not cooked the onion rings properly so they were a soggy mess and they had gone from one extreme to another with the steak and the outside was so overdone I couldn't chew it. The plate was put on the table and they walked away. When I had almost finished, I was asked if my meal was ok and I pointed out the onion rings uneaten to receive 'I will have to sack the chef' followed by a laugh and walked away- no apology was offered at any time. My husband had fish, it stated 5 types, there was halibut, haddock, cod, 1 scallop and 1 prawn. The Halibut was good the rest not great, maybe a bad choice. There was a reception in the tudor room and a very large wedding on in the main room and although they have more than one kitchen, there is no excuse for dropping standards in the Brasserie just because there are multiple functions on. The wine was great as usual, the sticky toffee good and the company great. Something was going wrong on service that day and I do hope it was a one off. Another table who ordered immediately after us were still waiting to be served their food when we had finished ours. An apology does not cost anything. We will not be selecting it for special occasions in future. I don't mind if things are not spot on for a normal lunch out but not when it is a special occasion that has been really looked forward to. It has just been relegated down our list of favourite places to eat - it was number 1 but now sits somewhere between 8 and 10.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tigger32

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

This is a definate for anybody in the west/south Yorkshire area, we stayed on a Friday night arriving at 8pm. On arrival to leaving on Saturday all the staff where excellent, very courteous, polite, and very helpful.

The meal in the brasserié was one of the best we've had in this part of the country, and good value.

Our room was a superior double and was magnificent, it was spotless and had a view out over the front lawn and rolling hills/fields.

We will defiantly be going back, 10/10

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LakesideJS
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

we had a superb lunch in the brasserie restaurant my friend and i, we hadnt booked but arrived early and we chose to sit at a lovley table by the window, we ordered sandwiches which were very nice, accompanied with salad and crisps, the portions were very generous and so tasty. my friend ordered tea which came with home made bisciuts which were delicious. i dont have the waiters name but his service was first class and made us very welcome and was so informative.the reception staff were also very friendly and helpful, this establishment should be an example to other restaurants, nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jean w
Lugano, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We came at 23:00 and the receptionist asked us which kind of meal would have been the best (sandwich with chicked - cheese or others - can't remember now) and after no more than 10 mins the meal was in our room with a fresh salat.

The breakfast is ok, if you DO NOT order anything you can still eat (cereals - fruits - cheese), you can always order something from the menu.

Dinner was more than good, maybe you don't have so much choice but you can find from meat to fish so I find it more or less enough.

Just because it doesn't have a bigger choice for breakfast and dinner, it can't be 5* on TripAdvisor.

Now the staff:
One word: OUTSTANDING. They're friendly and (girls in my case) good looking.

The location is very good, it is really quite and in 20 mins you can reach LEEDS which is a medium city where you can find PUBs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Pohl P
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

I recently enjoyed a meal in the Tudor room of this hotel. It is an excellent room for a private dinner, accomadating approximately 20 people. We had a three course menu for £30. The hotel itself is very impressive & looks to be quite an old building but it is in great condition. I had the deep fried prawns to start, they were served with a sweet chili sauce. It was the nicest starter I have tastest in a while, highly recomended! For my main I had a lamb shank & a sticky tofee pudding for dessert, both were very nice. The staff at reception were very friendly & helpful, ordering me a cab back to my hotel which arrived quickly. Overall it is a really nice hotel serving good food at a very reasonable price.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Corkman49
Lincolnshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night on the Friday before Christmas. We were planning meeting up with friends over from Hong Kong who were staying in the area and having been to this hotel a couple of times before, for business meetings incl a meal in the restaurant, albeit approx 3 years since my last visit, thought it a good place to meet for a meal. We decided to stay over (to save an 80min drive home) and opted for the special offer which included upgraded room, chilled wine and £25 p.p. allowance towards a meal in the brasserie. When booking the room we found our friends had already reserved a table in the Fleur de Lys restaurant but the receptionist said she would ensure that our meal allowance was put against this (which it was) . She was extremely polite & helpful, as are all the staff we encountered.When we arrived the greeting from the check in staff couldn't have been more welcoming. We were offered mulled wine and a mince pie (a nice touch) and advised that as we were first to check in that day there was a small gift hidden in the chimney of the amazing Gingerbread house on display. It turned out to be complimentary glasses of champagne before dinner! Our room in the newer extension (which is most tastefully and sympathetically done) was comfortable, spacious & immaculately clean (only one criticism was although the wine was well chilled in an ice-bucket we didn't dink it all straight away and there was no fridge/mini bar in the room to put it in to keep it chilled) We enjoyed a pot of tea and warm freshly baked scones with jam & clotted cream in the brasserie in front of an open fire (which was very busy with people enjoying the festive menu & afternoon teas etc) and also later had our champagne in here when waiting for our friends to arrive for dinner & whilst choosing from the menu. The Fleur de Lys restaurant, whilst being a little old fashioned in it's decor, certainly excelled our expectations. The food was superb and our waitress Babs (as I later found out she was called from previous reviews) was the epitome of good old fashioned service, efficient, polite and friendly. Breakfast the following morning was also very good, although we were waiting for around 10 minutes or so before a waitress appeared, but weren't in a rush so not a problem. We thoroughly enjoyed this lovely pre Christmas treat. There is also complimentary use of the Fitness First Gym located a short drive away but we didn't use this. The hotel looked very festive with its decorated Christmas trees, flickering candles & decorations and even the Christmas crackers at dinner had charming, good quality gifts in them. Overall this hotel is really lovely, in a beautiful setting (which we didn't explore due to torrential rain!) the food is superb & beautifully presented, the staff, all smartly dressed, are warm, friendly, helpful and efficient. It certainly isn't a cheap option but you get what you pay for! We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Rooms in the extension are, from their position to the main part of the hotel, quieter I would imagi...