“Avoid the Bluebell!!!”
Review of Blue Bell Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wentbridge
Blue Bell Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Wentbridge B&B and Inns
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Avoid the Bluebell!!!”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Poor food, unfriendly service, appalling management attitude...AVOID!!!

If anyone is considering a trip to this place then I advise you to reconsider and keep driving. From the moment we walked in the service was terrible. Met by a rude waitress who clearly didn't want to be there let alone serve our party with any form of manners. We were eventually seated after a lengthy wait for a pre-booked table. The overall food quality was  substandard at best given the prices. the quality of ale served was inconsistent with the occasional merky looking fluid that will literally begin to separate leaving a large amount of sediment at the bottom of the glass.

Please be aware of the management if you feel a complaint is in order. After complaining to the waitress I felt the quality of the food and drink should be brought to their attention as I'm sure any good restaurant owner would appreciate the feedback. Kerry Merrill, one of the managers/owners was more than happy to stand and dispute my feedback with an aggressive, condescending, augmentative manner. Jamie Merrill, the other manager/owner, couldn't even muster the enthusiasm to stand from his seat to offer any form of apology or explanation. The nail in the coffin came after showing them the merky pint of ale only to be out right told that I must have put something in it to make it look in such away and in no way shape or form could it be simply a bad pint. I was even more shocked that I was threatened with the police if the party was to leave without payment due to the appalling service. They both seriously lack good management traits with zero customer service skills. They handled my complaint with complete incompetence with the occasional use of bad language thrown in to add to there quality service.

After clearly getting no where with either of them and receiving no form of apology our party cleared the bill and left disgusted...a spoilt birthday meal!

AVOID!!!

Room Tip: My tip is keep driving to the next place...it can't be any worse than this one!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2012

This is lovely pub/restaurant with a good menu and excellent standard of food. It would have scored 5 out of 5 had it not been for the distinct lack of friendliness by the waiting staff. Having read other - more positive - reviews I am left wondering if locals are welcomed rather more than outsiders? It was my first visit to the pub but my 4 lunch companions had been there on a number of previous occasions and said that service was seldom friendly! I shall definitiely go again in view of the quality of the meal and the overall atmosphere of the place but there will not be a third visit unless I am made to feel more welcome.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
yorkshire
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We dont live that far from this cracker of a pub/restaurant and go there for a meal at least once a month. We have gone on our own as a couple or as a family with our three children, either way there is always a friendly hello from the owner and the waitresses. It is small and you do have to book at weekends, even midweek it is normally busy. I come from Aberdeen and am used to the very best of beef but the Fillet Steak from here is just to die for as is "Three Pals Steak". I have had salmon, sizzlers, home made pie, fish and chips, salmon en croute(not on menu at moment sadly), sea bass you name it and every single time the quality and quanity has been amazing......oh and it's home made chips....yummy!

Once tried a starter but never again and have only ever managed a dessert a couple of times but definitely not complaining.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Darrington
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Lovely location (Just off the A1, not far from the M62 junction but in the lovely Brockadale Valley) especially in Summer with large car park and loads of character.

Attentive staff- professional welcome (wise to book at weekends especially) and we were shown to the 'side room'. OK, although more of an atmosphere and 'buzz' in the main room - window seats are good,. Still, not too much noise so easier for hard-of-hearing mum, wife and me to chat. Super, wide menu choice with a select number of specials on the board. Decided to miss the starters and stick with mains with an option of deserts afterwards perhaps.

Wise move!

Beef Wellington (cooked exactly as requested -Medium/well) was tasty and large! Mushroom duxelle not Pate but that's my preference anyway. Tasty, well-cooked puff pastry and rich wine sauce. My wife had ordered Fish and Chips. In the past this has been my choice at The Bluebell because the dish has consistently been superb. On this occasion, however, the haddock was rather too moist in the middle but within an excellent batter. My mum had a Chicken Sizzler.. well presented, tasty but much too large for her modest appetite. Add to all that, the well-cooked but usual selection of veg and we ended up with lots of food!

Of course, the portion sizes aren't mentioned as a criticism at all! The first question to be answered is whether the food has been well cooked and presented and undoubtedly - apart from the over-moist haddock - it was. It's worth a mention, though cos if you have a modest appetite you may want to select a starter instead - or at least be pre-warned!. However, if you have a hearty appetite and value quality cooking, then you certainly won't be disappointed (and on previous occasions the Fish and chips have been a good choice.)

A well-stocked bar but normally only one person serving so be careful not to be caught there just as your meal is arriving!

Needless to say, we didn't have room for deserts though the choice looked great!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Pontefract
Lee, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We have been here twice with friends.
First time the rump steak was massive but of poor quality could have done with less but better quality.
The pepper sauce... I think the chef needs to sort this out as it seemed to be from a packet.
Second time I had steak pie which was ok but the gravy that came with it seemed to be made from gravy granules which left a really bad salty taste in my mouth for ages.
Maybe it is meant to get you to buy more drinks?

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nick7000000
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Since we moved here we have been going to the bluebell inn and had never been disappointed. specially good during the summer where you can sit in the beer garden.

I recommend the steak ciabatta sandwich. Very filling, steak is tender and cooked to perfection. Home made chips are amazing too!

• Stayed December 2011
york
Reviewed December 21, 2011

we had a good half hour to get to the blue bell to meet friends and family.i was glad we had booked as it was heaving ,.the menus were bought to us and we were left to ponder . i chose a prawn cacktail ,well it arrived and it was massive ,loads of big fat prawns ,i could of just had that for my main. for my main i had chicken wrapped in bacon,stuffed with prawns ,that came with nice home made chips ,the service was good and quick , of the six people we all said it was nice and will look forward to going again

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wentbridge
Wentbridge House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Darrington
Southside Lodge
Southside Lodge
#4 of 6 in Pontefract

Been to Blue Bell Inn? Share your experiences!