“Terrible Food and Ignorant Staff”
Review of Cafe Whiteleys

Cafe Whiteleys
Ranked #1 of 3 Coffee & Tea in Mirfield
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Terrible Food and Ignorant Staff”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

It's been 12 months since I last went to Whitleys for their so called Sunday lunch, I will definitely remember not to bother again in the future.

A choice of gammon steak, pork steak or sliced turkey that quite frankly looked like it had seen much better days. It looked dried up and old and that's exactly what it was as my son found out.

There was no traditional Sunday roast joint just a pile of dried up vegetables and roast potatoes with yorkshire puddings on the counter top that looked like they'd been there since last Sunday.

To start with the staff were particularly ignorant, we were at the front of the queue and at least 3 of the girls completly ignored us. After wating for 10 minutes I evetually said excuse me but can someone serve me?

In the absence of a roast, my husband and I had the gammon steak and my son had turkey. We has some vegetable, roast potatoes a yorkshire puddings and some gravy. We paid £7.99 for each plate.

When we sat down to eat not only was the table dirty but the table directly next to us was piled high with dirty plates and cups. Our food was clap cold, the veg was soggy tastless, unseasoned and mushy. The yorkshire puddings weren't even slightly warm and really did taste as old as they looked. My son left his turkey as it was very dry and unpleasant.

This was a complete waste of nearly £24! Whitleys should think themselves lucky they have a good garden centre business as the food is truly atrocious.

Sunday lunch is not a difficult meal to make and a modicum of pleasantness and respect for customers from the staff should not be to difficult to achieve.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Robo94
Cafe_Whiteleys, General Manager at Cafe Whiteleys, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
We are so sorry and deeply concerned that your visit to Cafe Whiteleys on Sunday 10 October 2013 was so disappointing. Here at Whiteleys we pride ourselves on producing great food and excellent service as we value all our customers. The Cafe Supervisor was available on Sunday and would have addressed your complaint had you brought it immediately to the attention of one of our team. We treat all feedback seriously and I would value the opportunity to discuss your review personally. We would really appreciate if you could contact the centre and speak to the cafe manager or visit us in person so your concerns can be addressed to hopefully regain your confidence in our service.

Bradford, United Kingdom
“Lovely Cafe/Restaurant”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a very welcoming cafe for a morning coffee or a substantial lunch. The cake selection, including enormous meringues and delicious scones are easily big enough to share. Our group of retired friends meet regularly for a spot of lunch and a long chat in various locations. Whiteley's Cafe is ideal as, although usually very busy at lunchtime, there are plenty of places to sit. Sofas too if you like a more informal arrangement. The food appears freshly prepared and is well presented. Hot meals of the day are on offer as are paninis and sandwiches freshly made while you wait.Home made soup and croutons and rustic bread comes on a "serve yourself" basis and was delicious today. It's not the cheapest cafe but the prices are reasonable when you consider the quality of the food. I noticed a Sunday carvery is available as are a variety of breakfast options and afternoon tea which looked very tempting. The staff were pleasant and very friendly yet professional. It is no surprise that this garden centre cafe has won awards. I will certainly return.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Acuarioangel
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulous little cafe! Delicious cakes!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have visited the garden centre at Whiteleys many times, never for the plants only the cafe! It serves some really beautiful home cooked food and I have never had a bad experience. However I have to say that the jewel in the crown for myself has to be the huge meringues, they are to die for! Piled with fresh cream and strawberries a real treat! They are defiantly worth visiting for.
There is always a wide selection of hot meals and often they are prepared for you while you wait, another personal favorite is the cajun chicken baguette with chips. The cake counter is mind blowing and varied. I will be back for another visit soon.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Fiona P
huddersfield
“food and service 1st class”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I often go here for lunch. There is always a good menu, some run of the mill and some daily specials and their meringues are to die for. Pleasant helpful staff. But if you want a seat get there before 12. The cafe fills up very quickly. Quietens down a bit about 2.30.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank britbarbara
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“BLOOMING GOOD FOOD”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I treated my mum to Sunday lunch on a recent visit on the spur of the moment. I was so pleased I did. We had been buying plants and the coffee we went for became a delicious carvery meal. The joints of beef, pork and gammon were accompanied by a choice of 6 fresh vegetables, perfectly cooked, two types of potato and home made massive Yorkshire puddings.The menu states that all food is locally sourced and very fresh - it certainly tasted like it! The meat is carved freshly onto your plate and you then help yourself to as many vegetables as you like plus gravy and sauces. Excellent value at two for £13.99. The menu for other days and meals also sounds delicious and I am sure we will venture back, perhaps to sample the afternoon tea. The restaurant could definitely survive independently and the Garden Centre is lucky to have such an attraction and crowd pleaser.

• Visited June 2013