“Busy lunchtime spot”
Review of Hare and Hounds

Hare and Hounds
Ranked #4 of 44 Restaurants in Mirfield
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Hare & Hounds offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Nice atmosphere within the restaurant area. Very pleasantly decorated, in pleasing colours. Took the lunch menu at £10.50, which for three courses was excellent value. Will definitely return, or try another within the group.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Despite having a disappointing meal a few months ago we decided to give the Hare and Hounds another try.
What a mistake!
The much reduced size of fish pie came without veg, and with what appeared to be leaves and a few slices of raw carrot.
When I asked the waitress where the veg was - she said "Oh, we've changed the menu and that's how it comes". I told her the meal was simply not worth ten pounds she said she could get me some veg but it would take ten minutes!
By the time my veg arrived I had only got two mouthfuls left on my plate - when I complained she said she would knock the cost off the final bill.
Another member of our party asked for chips but got boiled potatoes " That's how it comes now" was the response from the waitress.
Two of my friends shared an Asian platter of which everything had been deep fried and tasted 'oily'
After three requests we finally got the bill - the 20% discount that we had shown the waitress when ordering was not deducted off the bill.
This was eventually done - but we then realised that they had actually charged for the items they said we would not get charged for!
What a disappointing evening - it was quite obvious that the portions had been reduced and the prices increased.
This combined with the poor service has simply ensured that we will never visit this place again and would never recommend it in the future.
They have put profit before quality and service - no wonder the place was quiet

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We ate here on sunday and were looking forward to a Sunday lunch treat but we left a bit disappointed. We were a bit apprehensive after telephoning all morning and afternoon and the phone not been answered, we thought we'd chance it and head up their anyway, when we arrived and mentioned this to the friendly woman in change of front of house she just said yes they had been too busy to answer the phone, which we thought was a bit odd. We only had a short wait for a table and were shown to a cosy table in the dinning area. We ordered a mozzarella and tomato salad, deep fried mushrooms, two Sunday roasts and two children's fish and chips. The salad was a real let down, two small tomato's cut in half and a small amount of torn mozzarella (about a egg cup full) with a drizzle of basil oil. I wanted Balsamic vinegar with it but they didn't have any. The mushrooms were ok, but not homemade probably from the deep freeze but the portion was generous. The Kids fish and chips were delicious perfectly cooked but the peas were hard and wrinkled. Our roasts were not great, the beef was dry, tough and over cooked, roast potatoes outsides were so tough some couldn't be cut by a knife, the broad bean, pea and carrot medley, overcook, bashed about and lacking in colour. The cauliflower cheese advertised as 'delicious' was below average, bland and without a melted grilled cheese topping. The parsnips looked the part but had an unfortunate uncooked centre. The table staff were friendly and attentive but after asking how the meal was and receiving our disappointing feed back, we didn't have any follow up form the manager, we excepted the offer of free desserts and the children were delighted with the Spanish donuts, which were delicious. The reason for this review is not to slate the restaurant but in the hope that improvements can be made, because this is a beautiful old pub, in a fantastic location and has been lovingly renovated to a high standard and we would love to be regular dinners on Sunday afternoons after long country walks in the breath taking surroundings, and not to be just another great place to have a drink.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visited for Sunday lunch which is served all day, but at 4.30 pm they had no lunches left so had to choose from the menu. Both me and my husband were very disappointed with our food, both our meats one being chicken and the other steak were over cooked, dry and the steak was fatty. We were seated next to a fridge, which when they opened to get food out was dirty and my first thought was if this is dirty what are the kitchens like. Won't be visiting again in a hurry

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I go here often with family and went again last Saturday. The atmosphere has changed subtlely over recent years and now feels brighter and smarter than it used to do, whilst retaining a good "country pub" feel. The food this time was very good and very reasonable - I had a three course meal from the fixed-price menu for £10.50 and every element was good. The beef and merlot pie chosen by my partner was extremely tasty with a crisp pastry topping and my father was pleased with his Italian crumbed chicken. The only downside (in this weather) was that the main room was very chilly, despite the fire in the middle being lit. Would suggest maybe this is lit earlier on cold days, to ensure a warm dining experience. Staff were very pleasant and friendly and service was quick and efficient. Recommended.