“A little bit disappointed”
Review of Hare and Hounds

Hare and Hounds
Ranked #4 of 44 Restaurants in Mirfield
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Hare & Hounds offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Visited on a lunchtime. No problem getting a table. Have visited this establishment many times and noticed they have had a revamp and new management. Staff efficient, however we were a little disappointed with the food with regard to presentation and content. The portion sizes seem to have diminished somewhat. The fish in the fish and chips meal was half the size it used to be. The pie ordered was apparently a James Martin Recipe. Well it tasted ok but I feel there was a bit of deception going on. The pie arrived in a 4" to 5" high pie dish but when the top was taken off the filling barely reached a third of the way up the dish and there were maybe 4 chunks of meat in it. I didn't expect the dish to be full but this was a bit of a let down.
Another quirk was staff tried to upsell chunky chips for an extra £1. Why do I have to pay extra for a different style of chip? Bizarre.
As I have said the food tasted ok but there have been changes and I don't know if this is the new management or Vintage Inns policy. Will maybe give it another go before giving up on this establishment.

Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I am a big fan of Vintage Inns - the Cow and Calf at Ilkley is another favourite of mine. Vintage Inns seem to find real character properties in lovely country locations and have got the balance just right in creating a warm, friendly, welcoming traditional pub atmosphere combined with excellent decor, tasteful soft furnishings and good food, beautifully presented by enthusiastic and helpful staff. I will definitely be making this one of my regular haunts.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We went to the Hare and Hounds yesterday as a group of 8 for a Mothers Day lunch. The menu had lots of choice or you could order from the set menu for the day which was £15 for two courses and £18 for three. Our party did both and none of us were disappointed!
Good portions, well cooked and nice friendly staff. They were busy but we were anticipating this but it was nice to be leisurely with our food and we were not rushed.
I would definitely recommend it for a lovely sunday dinner, just make sure you wrap up warm as it was really chilly! There was an open fire but unless you were sat next to it unfortunately the heat from it was minimal. I only had a short sleeved cardigan over my t-shirt and jeans and I had to wear my sisters coat! The toilets were also absolutely freezing - thank goodness there was a hand dryer!!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Visited Hare and Hounds on a Saturday lunchtime large car park but very busy,we were seated straight away and ordered at the bar, as it was busy we had to wait about twenty minutes for our main meal but the chicken leek and mushroom pie was worth waiting for, so was the apple pie and custard I had for pudding.Drinks are a bit on the dear side but overall great food good service,and will certainly return to this great country pub

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went with friends for a birthday lunch,we were shown to our table in front of a very welcome open fire.What a lovely cosy resturant.The waiter Ryan was attentive and friendly making us feel welcome,the food didnt take long to arrive,although the pub was busy,everything was to our satisfaction It was obvious that the pub have a very happy team.We will be back.