“Excellent menu”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Liversedge
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Excellent menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had booked this resaurant thro' Travelzoo, and were very impressed with both the food and the service. The menu is excellent with a lot of fish choices and specials and it was a difficult decision what to choose, but also makes us want to go back. When our starters came accompanied by a delicious selection of rolls, dressed crab and smoked duck salad both excellent. Main courses equally as good, the service is attentive but not intrusive, and we will certainly be going again and will definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Yvonne788

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Batley,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Booked table for 4 but 5 of us arrived, in fact one was not staying to eat but staff quickly offered to make it table for 5. Food very very good and superb range of food, particularly fish. Well presented with attentive staff. Nice atmosphere and very friendly.
The only faults were very minor;
Rather than a cloth the table was covered by a series of runners which appeared a little tired and made the surface uneven - had to concentrate on not spilling glasses!
Also saw a comment from a lady about having one of staff place his hand on her shoulder which made her uncomfortable. He did the same to me and I had to smile! However I am sure nothing was meant by it, not even sure he realised he was doing it.
Not cheap and drinks are frankly expensive but a fabulous evening that will stay with us for a long time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank LibbyBatley_
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

We were just planning to call in for a quick drink on the way home from Ikea but having enjoyed our drinks out on the lawn (in good weather), we decided to stay and have something to eat. I had my wife and a friend of ours with us, who hadnt been here before. I had enjoyed some lunch here with my elderly mother a while ago and very good it was too.
We all decided that the menu read very well indeed and it was difficult to choose, we all wanted everything. I decided on a starter of Cockles cooked in a lightly curried broth. The Cockles were fat and juicy and I have never before seen better. The broth was a taste sensation and I dont say that very often! My wife chose Golden Beetroot, finely sliced with a mandolin with pea shoots, goats cheese and macademia nuts. It looked wonderful and ate brilliantly. Our friend chose a plate of quite superb Gravilax, I know, because I managed to try theirs as well.
My main course was a loin of Cod with Pancetta, Girrolles, peas and broad beans, cooked in a chicken stock reduction. It was fabulous. My wife chose the Calves liver which was served pink and very good indeed, while our friend enjoyed her Venison very much. The standard of the food here is top notch and it is obvious that the Chef knows his job very well indeed.
We were delighted that they offer a good range of quality wines by the glass, including a very good Gavi and a "Baby Amorone", that I just had to have a go at and really enjoyed.
It was a Saturday night and very busy and to say that we just called on spec, we were served very quickly and looked after very well indeed. Our friend said that she was very impressed by Healds Hall and that she would definitely be back. There was a wedding taking place at the Hotel and both dining rooms were full as well. Business seemed to be very good for them here and we were not at all surprised why. Well done Healds Hall.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank serviceisking
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We recently stayed overnight following a wedding. On the plus side the food was excellent, reception staff were friendly and the setting was nice. The minus points were the shoe box sized room ( all top floor rooms are way too small with claustrophobic bathrooms that became unbearably hot whilst using the bath ) Very overpriced drinks, over £6 for a glass of wine, very tired decor and a manager who thought it acceptable to be extremely rude to one of the other guests.
we did think about having Christmas here but changed our minds and booked The Crowne Plaza instead

Room Tip: none of the top floor rooms !!!!
1 Thank TheFergussons
Dewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had our wedding at Healds Hall Hotel and it was Brilliant. The hotel is a lovely building set in pretty gardens.

I couldn't have wished for more from the hotel and its staff. Nothing was too much trouble and they went out of their way to make everything really special for us. Especially Max, who was an absolute diamond. The food was BEAUTIFUL, the reception decor was perfect, our honeymoon suite was lovely, the drinks were good. We had everything we wanted :)

I wouldnt hesitate for a second to recommend Healds Hall and we are very happy that we chose this venue for our wedding!

Room Tip: room 112 is lovely, spacious with a large bathroom, bath and separate shower
4 Thank Amy G
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed in Healds Hall Hotel as we attended a nearby wedding. Our room was very pleasant and the service excellent. Breakfast was lovely and our stay was a great all around experience. The only slight niggle I had was that our room was very hot at night, we made sure the heating was off, but as we were on ground floor the windows wouldn't open. I was going to deduct a rating point as it affected my night's sleep, but I'm prepared to accept it might just have been down to personal perference, I was boiling though! Other than that - this hotel is very nice, it's a great reasonably well-to-do hotel.

1 Thank AimeeHannah
Harleston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We meet up once a year with friends who stay at the hotel for an evening meal and once a year for a club lunch.
Last night was disappointing in so many ways.
The greetings by staff were friendly and the menus arrived promptly.

The price of the pre dinner drinks was extortionate,£2.70 for a tonic water with ice and lemon!

The starters arrived promptly but there was an extra crab tian, five starters ordered and six turned up!
Main course arrived but then no vegetables, then nothing to serve them with although we asked twice
We also requested a jug of tap water three times.
I had Moules which were lovely except I would have liked to have had bread with them, the lovely basket of rolls had been whisked away with the starter plates!
The food was fairly good but in our opinion not up to the high price
I really did not appreciate the maitre de putting his hands on my bare shoulders to lean over and ask me if I had finished my main course, this happened last year as well.
When the bill was brought we were questioned about there onyl being four drinks on it as the barman could not remember ! We had already paid for pre dinner drinks!
There was a wedding party going on and a silver wedding anniversary too so perhaps the staff were over stretched but that is not the sign of good management, added to this is the fact that the decor is beginning to look tired.
I appreciate with the present economic climate running a hotel / restaurant must be very diificult but our experience was certainly not a happy one.

Room Tip: We did not stay
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Phylsgal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liversedge
Gomersal Park Hotel
Premier Inn Leeds South (Birstall) Hotel
Woodlands Hotel Leeds
Woodlands Hotel Leeds
#1 of 1 in Gildersome

Been to Healds Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!