“Not as good as it could be.”

Bettys Cafe Tea Rooms - Ilkley
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Ilkley
Cuisines: Delicatessen, British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We called into the Ilkley Bettys with my friend, who is a coeliac, as Bettys do a good selection of gluten-free cakes and pastrys. However, when we asked the waitress what was on the menu today that was suitable for my friend she had absolutely no idea. Which was a shame, as my friend is a regular at the York Bettys and knew there was usually a mouth-watering gluten-free delicacy she would enjoy. Our waitress, instead, suggested we get something from the on-site shop. Not ideal really. It marred what had otherwise been a perfect day.
All in all, I would say that the Ilkley branch is an overpriced cafe for overpriced people.
A great shame.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

As a patron of the Harrogate branch for the last 30 years, I have to put my hand on my heart and say that I love Betty's. We arrived just after doors opened for breakfast on a sunny Monday, and ordered the full English with coffee. Portions are not huge, but are delicious. Love, love, loved the soldiers of toast already pre-buttered and served beautifully on a cake stand. Looking like a Jenga game! My son ordered the fat rascal and is now a convert - " better than a boring scone". Service was efficient and friendly. Had a slightly dicey moment when my husband's (not au fait with the rule of no mobiles....) phone went off......panicked that we would be banned for life (fat rascals only by post...noooooooo) ....but luckily we were allowed to stay. Phew. Crisis averted.
Tip: when offered the chutneys....smile and ask for all 3. Hard to choose a favourite.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

When my niece returned home from London for a few days recently and wanted to spend a day with her grandma we decided that we would drive out to Ilkley for lunch as my niece had never been either to Ilkley or to Betty's tea rooms.

As it was mid week we didn't have to queue for as long as we have had to queue at weekends. We embraced the ambience of the surroundings and all three of us ordered a Pimm's whilst we waited for our food. We all agreed that the food on the menu was expensive but we were paying for the luxury of the surroundings, the silver tea pots and the uniform of the waitress's a price that perhaps was worth paying for this delightful experience.

We all three chose something different off the menu. I had my favourite, Swiss Alpine Macaroni, my mother had the Lamb Brochettes and my niece chose the Bettys Yorkshire Sausages. We also ordered a portion of chips to share. As we were being served with our food our waitress had a slight disaster in that one of the Yorkshire Sausages fell from the plate onto the floor!! We accepted that these things can happen and accepted the apologies of the waitress who promised another sausage would come. It did, but when we had all almost finished our meals, including my niece who then had to eat a sausage on its own. It was at this stage that we realised that we hadn't received our chips! We all agreed however that we didn't actually need them. Each of us had enjoyed our choice of food, although my Mother didn't get much lamb with her Lamb Brochette.

When we saw the sweet trolley we decided it would be rude not to have a dessert and they really were delicious. I had a glass of homemade lemonade which I can highly recommend.

The biggest disappointment was when the bill came and there had been no adjustment made for the sausage incident and we had been charged for the chips that we never received. I accept that we did receive the sausage eventually, however I would have expected some gesture of goodwill as recompense for the incident. Maybe just because we were at Bettys and I expected them to be big on customer service. I just felt disappointed and for an instant the bubble burst and I suddenly felt that perhaps everything was a little pretentious.

However, this will not deter us from revisiting as we were three generations who had a delightful afternoon and the Bettys experience was great to share and enjoy.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

It appears that everyone else thinks this place is great so we must have just been unlucky on the day.
Not worth the money we paid for afternoon tea, a few small sandwiches, a couple of scones, a few cakes and a pot of tea for 18 quid a head. Should have been spectacular but have had far superior afternoon teas elsewhere. Service was terrible, no one staff member seemed to know who was looking after us, took ages to order, took ages to bring more milk and then took ages to pay.
Had wanted to try a Betty's for many years so was sorely disappointed and will not return.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Went to Bettys in Ilkley not been to this branch but have been to York and Harrogate. I was not let down at all. The service was excellent and although it was lunchtime and we had to wait for a table we were still attended to whilst waiting.

My husband had fish and chips and I had the salmon salad followed of course by a cream slice each! Each course was wonderful even the bread roll I had with my meal was just yummy. Service was excellent and well worth the cost.