“Great food - lovely staff”
Review of The Farsyde - CLOSED

The Farsyde
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Relaxed and informal, with a high standard and quality of food and service. Everything is made fresh everyday. With an owner head chef the food is always of an excellent standard. We take pride in making your visit to us enjoyable, whether is a special celebration of simply out for tea taking advantage of our great Early Bird menu.
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Went to the Farsyde again last week for dinner. The food was truly excellent, as it always is. The menu is varied and interesting, the only problem being what to choose. Can't eat everything of course but can always return soon, which we undoubtedly will!
The staff are always so friendly and they completely charmed our friend's 4 year old daughter, especially with an invitation to visit the kitchen and meet the chef.

Wonderful

There are newer reviews for The Farsyde

Reviewed August 20, 2012

There are not many restaurants with the breadth of menu to encourage regular return visits. Farsyde in Ilkley is one of the exceptions with a varied menu, high quality food and a relaxed atmosphere allied to reasonable prices.

We went on a mid-August Saturday expecting a modestly busy restaurant and were pleased and surprised that it was booked solid. Whilst not feeling rushed some tables actually had three services whilst we were there starting with the early bird departures, through a 7.30 core booking and ending with a 9.50 late meal.

Nowhere is perfect and for me there were three minor flaws: sitting at a cramped bar with very ordinary nibbles didn't match the general ambience of the restaurant, the coffee wasn't up to normal standards and, on a very busy night for the staff some of the service owed more to enthusiasm than the normal quality you would expect from this restaurant.

These are minor niggles and the service in the past has been exceptional.

The food was sublime; full of flavour, texture and surprise. My warm crispy duck salad was delicious without overpowering the course that followed. It was accompanied by beansprouts, mouli and watercress finished with toasted sesame seeds and a soy reduction. My pan fried seabass wrapped in pesto and parma ham was served on a tropical fruit salsa with chilli jam. It was refreshing, delicious and wonderfully presented.

My partner had a prawn duo to start which she demolished and breast of Gressingham duck as a main course. It was equally well received.

The wine list was patchy but we chose a superb Viognier which we enjoyed very much. This was a fabulous meal, in a lovely restaurant well worth visiting over and over again. Not everything was perfect on this very busy Saturday evening but overall this outstanding restaurant delivered a high quality meal and a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

We'll be back!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Returned to the Farsyde after a few years away - same dependable quality but now with more opening hours and an excellent value "early bird" menu every day, which is a slightly slimmed down version of the evening menu. Booked for 6.15 and arrived at 6 but as nobody else there quickly seated (Declined the offer to start at the bar!) Always wonder why you are often given an inferior table when so many are free. This one was in the thoroughfare between kitchen and bar

Two courses for £15.95 of very acceptable food - a fine ham hock risotto and mushroom tart for starters and Pork and Hake to follow - for two people was accompanied by selection of rolls and olives/ marinated mushrooms. Good selection of wines by the glass

Reviewed August 16, 2012

The early bird menu is great value and the food is always special here - freshly cooked and imaginative. Whilst the service was friendly, we did have to wait a long time for the main course. We were warned it would take twenty minutes as it was freshly cooked and we weren't having a starter. However, it took more like forty five minutes and, even with the delicious complementary bread, tapenade and olives, we were quite peckish when it arrived. However, the great desserts that followed sort of made up for it.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Having recently relocated to Ilkley from the West Midlands, I tried The Farsyde with my mother and sister. The food sounded lovely and it all came well presented but it didn't deliver on taste. Also, they put my starter down in front of my sister and vice versa so we effectively ate 1/3 of each others food (new waitress announced the dishes wrongly). So I guess I was overall disappointed as in Birmingham, when you go to a nice restaurant where they make an effort to present to dishes in an artistic way, they also deliver on taste and The Farsyde didn't.

They really get off on the wrong foot to be honest by serving up very salty cheap 'nibbles' - get rid of them - you are not a pub. The waitress actually said that they were to make you buy more alcohol - at least she had a sense of humour I suppose.

Since then I've tried Bistro Saigon, The Box Tree and Martha and Vincents - all much better on taste and service.
Piccolinos this weekend - I have a feeling they will be overpriced and average (being a big chain now) but I'll give it a go and try and be open-minded.

1  Thank Sally1105