“When you visit a hotel like Craigland don't expect travel lodge. This hotel has great personality and brilliant staff.”

The Craiglands Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ilkley
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

When I stade at the hotel a couple of weeks ago I must be honest I didn't know what to expect (after reading some comments), but hears the thing, this is a real hotel, not a prefabricated box at the end of the motor way.
I arrived to find some elderly lady laughing her head off at reseption in what can only be described as an attempt to chat up the guy on reception ( only as a joke though). I was met with a smille and an efficient member of staff that had been given all the information required for the business meeting I was attending.
Add this to the clean Rome and the good food in the restaurant and I must say, my experience of this hotel has been a very positive one, that I would not hesitate to repeat if in the area again.
Staff make the pace what it is . Many thanks see you again soon.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank historyof6
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Many thanks for your review, I was extremley pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and everything was brilliant. Great to hear your comments about the team who are always willing to lend a hand are extremley helpful and polite and nothing is too much trouble.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The Craiglands Hotel

Reviewed April 17, 2013

My wife and I, both in our eighties, have just spent two very comfortable nights at this hotel. It was very pleasant with all the staff really working very hard for all the guests. The room was spacious, very clean and quiet meaning we slept well. The food was excellent with breakfast being all self service meaning that lunch was really unnecessary. As we were leaving we met a charming gentleman who turned out to be the owner and his new young manager who showed us out. Would like to return to see more of the area.

1  Thank Mikegreaves
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Thanks for your great review regarding your stay, really pleased to read that everything was to your liking and that nothing was too much trouble for the team, which are always wanting to assist and help whatever shape or form.
I will certainly pass your comments onto all of them.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed for Bed and Breakfast only. A lovely hotel room was spacious. The food was good but you had to chase the witer/waitress for tea and coffee. They also ran out of certain items you then had to wait. Not a big selection. The fire alarm went off during the night it took about 10mins to find any staff available.It was a false alarm.

1  Thank roosterwales

Thank you for your review, Sorry that the fire alarm went off, it was a good couple of weeks ago when that happend now, it turned out another couple of guests had been smoking in their room. We have since had the room deep cleaned.
As regards your breakfast I can only apologise for certains items that were not there, I am currently working on the breakfast specification and wanting to make this service overall more consistant.
I do hope this does not prevent you from wanting to book in the future and we will be welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

After reading lots of the reviews about this hotel we decided to stay there anyway as was exactly where we needed to be! The reviews seemed from one extreme to the other and thought it couldn't be as bad as some were making out! On one hand there is a lot of work to be done at this hotel but it is a very old building and im sure maintenance work never ends on somewhere like that! I personally didnt experience anything that would spoil my stay, it was cold in areas but it is freezing outside! The room was clean and for the rate we paid satisfactory! Most of the staff were friendly and helpful! I would definitely return to the craiglands but expect improvements, I see there is a new manager and hope that he/she can sort the problems out in the near future and look forward to going again!

• Stayed: April 2013

Many thanks for your kind review, I was glad to read that your stay was enjoyable and everything was in good working order.
I am the new General Manager, I think I spoke to you actually, never the same day in maintenance for sure!
I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This Hotel has obviously been having problems, with four General Managers in 12 months! BUT... Mark Toole, the recently appointed new General Manager is doing is upmost to get this lovely hotel back on track. The building is old and obviously doesn't have the characteristics of a newly built hotel, but has a certain amount of charm. Bedrooms are very big, staff are very friendly and helpful and we found the food in the restaurant to be excellent! Breakfast is okay but needs a little tweeking and we made our points to the General Manager who was happy to listen to suggestions, and bending over backwards to sort the odd problem we witnessed. Wedding facilities second to none, fantastic ballroom! Look forward to revisiting and checking progress! Had an enjoyable 3 nights. Thanks

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jennifer W
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Many thanks for your review and taking the time to talk to me reagrding your stay. I was glad to read you had an enjoyable stay overall and everything was good.
I very much look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here 2 nights whilst visiting friends in nearby Addingham. This hotel is in desparate need of a lot of TLC both inside and out. Any rooms on and above the 2nd floor required a bit of a hike to get to them. One set of stairs we had to climb was so steep, I'm sure it would have failed all health and safety regulations! Paid extra to upgrade our room to an 'Executive Suite', although room was large, was a bit disappointed that it had 2 single beds pushed together. Our room was very warm but other areas of the hotel were cold. Room was clean, bedding was clean and so was bathroom, so for me these are the main things I look for in a hotel. Was disappointed that breakfast fruit was tinned and not much of a choice. There was only one choice of yoghurt!! My husband had a cooked breakfast which he said was OK. Location of hotel is good.

Room Tip: Any room below 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thanks for your review, I would have liked to have had the opportunity to have spoken to you before departing the hotel as I am concerned when any element of a stay is not quite right. There is a hand rail by the stairs that you mention which comply with fire protection inspection and health & safety regulations. The beds are what we call zip and link, twins pushed together that zip together. I was glad to read that the housekeeping standards and the breakfast were ok.
I hope to be welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just back from staying here, room 234. We've been before and unfortunately, standards have gone downhill. The room was poky. The paper on the ceiling was bulging, split and hanging down in places. Dirty marks on the walls. Furniture was past it, the one chair had a seat that you nearly go through, it was all old and dated. The bed, ugh! Going to bed was a night of slow torture. The mattress needs throwing out, it was lumpy, big dips in it and the springs gone. The pillows were lumpy and hard and concave in the middle. We both looked and felt shattered in the morning and I can't move my neck properly because of the pillow. No free sockets to use, you had to unplug the light or kettle to use a hairdryer. The bathroom looked to have been spruced up but lacked a towel rail by the basin, basic requirement. The shaver socket was too noisy to leave the electric toothbrush plugged in.
Breakfast was noticeably more economical. Three choices of cereal,when there used to be more. The fresh orange was cheap orange 'juice', I saw the boxes. One unlabeled, unidentifiable red jelly masquerading as jam. The elements of the cooked breakfast were not appealing. Burnt sausage, dried up bacon, scrambled egg like rubber. No porridge on offer when asked.
Overall,a previously elegant looking premises that would benefit greatly from more attentive cleaning, even the cobwebs were dusty and a thorough update of furnishings.
Made us think of seeking elsewhere to stay in future.

Room Tip: Do they exist?
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for your review, as the new General Manager of the Craiglands, I was disappointed and concerned to hear that you had reason to make a complaint in regard to matters arising whilst you stayed with us recently.
I started here on the 11th February and therefore you will appreciate I have not yet had time to attend to all departments and deal with matters that need attending to as part of the running of the business; however, I would like to assure you that your complaint is being dealt with and is extremely useful to me in my assesment of the various departments in the hotel.
If there are any issues you care to discuss with me, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilkley
Dalesway Hotel
Rendezvous Hotel
#3 of 4 in Skipton
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa

Been to The Craiglands Hotel? Share your experiences!