The Craiglands Hotel
  • Pool
$70
$64
1,101 results
All reviewswedding breakfastgroupon dealold buildinglovely hotelcourse mealilkley moorcouldn't faulttwo night staytown centrecow and calffull englishyogurtballroombrasserieceremonyvenueleeds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here 2 nights whilst visiting friends in nearby Addingham. This hotel is in desparate need of a lot of TLC both inside and out. Any rooms on and above the 2nd floor required a bit of a hike to get to them. One set of stairs we had to climb was so steep, I'm sure it would have failed all health and safety regulations! Paid extra to upgrade our room to an 'Executive Suite', although room was large, was a bit disappointed that it had 2 single beds pushed together. Our room was very warm but other areas of the hotel were cold. Room was clean, bedding was clean and so was bathroom, so for me these are the main things I look for in a hotel. Was disappointed that breakfast fruit was tinned and not much of a choice. There was only one choice of yoghurt!! My husband had a cooked breakfast which he said was OK. Location of hotel is good.

Room Tip: Any room below 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thanks for your review, I would have liked to have had the opportunity to have spoken to you before departing the hotel as I am concerned when any element of a stay is not quite right. There is a hand rail by the stairs that you mention which comply with fire protection inspection and health & safety regulations. The beds are what we call zip and link, twins pushed together that zip together. I was glad to read that the housekeeping standards and the breakfast were ok.
I hope to be welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just back from staying here, room 234. We've been before and unfortunately, standards have gone downhill. The room was poky. The paper on the ceiling was bulging, split and hanging down in places. Dirty marks on the walls. Furniture was past it, the one chair had a seat that you nearly go through, it was all old and dated. The bed, ugh! Going to bed was a night of slow torture. The mattress needs throwing out, it was lumpy, big dips in it and the springs gone. The pillows were lumpy and hard and concave in the middle. We both looked and felt shattered in the morning and I can't move my neck properly because of the pillow. No free sockets to use, you had to unplug the light or kettle to use a hairdryer. The bathroom looked to have been spruced up but lacked a towel rail by the basin, basic requirement. The shaver socket was too noisy to leave the electric toothbrush plugged in.
Breakfast was noticeably more economical. Three choices of cereal,when there used to be more. The fresh orange was cheap orange 'juice', I saw the boxes. One unlabeled, unidentifiable red jelly masquerading as jam. The elements of the cooked breakfast were not appealing. Burnt sausage, dried up bacon, scrambled egg like rubber. No porridge on offer when asked.
Overall,a previously elegant looking premises that would benefit greatly from more attentive cleaning, even the cobwebs were dusty and a thorough update of furnishings.
Made us think of seeking elsewhere to stay in future.

Room Tip: Do they exist?
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for your review, as the new General Manager of the Craiglands, I was disappointed and concerned to hear that you had reason to make a complaint in regard to matters arising whilst you stayed with us recently.
I started here on the 11th February and therefore you will appreciate I have not yet had time to attend to all departments and deal with matters that need attending to as part of the running of the business; however, I would like to assure you that your complaint is being dealt with and is extremely useful to me in my assesment of the various departments in the hotel.
If there are any issues you care to discuss with me, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here last night after coming away for a restful night, the hotel was I'm afraid, disappointing to say the least.

We checked in to our "Executive" room, which on first glance was a good size and decorated well. Unfortunately, the toilet was broken and constantly trickled. We were walking in to Ilkley and on the way out we spoke to Reception and the lady apologised and said she'd have someone look at the toilet for us. We came back two hours later and toilet not fixed.

We went to the bar for a drink before going out for dinner and this area of the hotel was quite cold in ambience and the service was quite poor and also slow. We were even more amazed after heading out for dinner and returning 3 hours later to find our dirty glasses, along with everyone else's had not been cleared away. Clearly the bar staff were poor performers.

On our way out to dinner the lady on reception caught us and said she had not been able to repair our toilet and would move us when we came back from dinner and we were happy with this.

The room we moved to was 132 and again, decently decorated room and a good size. Unfortunately, the bathroom was dirty, the lamps didn't work, the double bed was two singles pushed together and quite lumpy but the best came the morning after. We woke and wanted to shower and the thermostat on the shower was broken, you could only have skin peeling temperatures in the shower which just put the icing on the cake. The view from the room was at the back of the hotel once you managed to look through the dirt on the inside and outside of the window and on closer look at skirtings, corners etc, the room was not cleaned to a good standard.

Overall, we should have paid £95 for the room and the receptionist deducted £10 off this, which I still think was overpriced. The hotel lacked service, was tired and not particularly clean or cared for and overall, very disappointing for what is a beautiful building and could be so wonderful. The Craiglands needs a visit from The Hotel Inspector! Pull your socks up Management and have some pride in your hotel!

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for your review, as the new General of the Craiglands, I was disappointed and concerned to hear that you had reason to make a complaint in regard to matters arising whilst you stayed with us recently.
I only took up the position mid Feburary and therefore you will appreciate I have not yet had the time to attend to all the Departments and deal with matters that need attending to as part of running of the business; however, I would like to assure you that your complaint was brought to my attention and was extremely useful to me in my assesment of the various Departments in the hotel.
I understand your complaint was dealt with satisfactorily, but in reality you should have not have had the need to complian in the first instance and I do hope that your experience overall was satisfactory and would not prevent you from booking witht he hotel again, despite the laspe of standards at this particular moment.
If there are any issues you care to dicuss with me, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We got married on the 9th February at the craiglands. I just want to say a Huge thank you to everyone involved. From the preparation to the actuall day was fantastic. a massive thank you to Peter who looked after us all day insuring everything was ok you made our day run so smoothly. The staff are lovely, the room looked stunning, the food was beautiful defiantly a 10 out of 10. Anyone that is looking for somewhere to get married I would defiantly recommend the Craiglands Hotel. Once again thank you to every one involved to make our day so special. Mr & Mrs Housley.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NatashaH311

Many thanks for your review, I was really pleased to read that we were able to make everything go like clockwork. I will certainly pass on your comments to the team and in particular Peter, who is a rising star!
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Four of us stayed in four rooms with work. Now, the hotel looks very impressive and in essence is a nice hotel. The evening meal was very good and the staff were very pleasant. I went to bed, and it felt like rather that sleeping (or not as the case was) on a mattress, I was sleeping on a sack of coal. It was so uncomfortable and lumpy with what appeared to be potholes in it. The room (203) was very small and cramped and I will make sure that work never book this hotel for us again. Two others had poor rooms and they will no doubt do their own review. I spoke to the receptionist on leaving and told her of the state of the mattress.The response? Sorry about that!!!

Room Tip: Dont have room 203
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Humphriesout
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you for your review, glad to read the food, staff and service were in good order. I was sorry to hear about your matress being uncomfortable, we could of certainly moved you to another room if requested or was there maybe another reason why we did not.
I will certainly test the matress out and see if it needs replacing.
I am the new General Manager currently in my sixth working week.
Really I would have liked to have talked to you before you left the hotel as I am currently getting the team to let me know whatever element of our guests stay is not right so I can have a chance to put matters right.
If you would like to contact myself personally or if I could speak to someone from your company I would be able to discuss further with you.
I do hope you would give me the chance to put matters right and would urge you to return to the hotel sometime in the future.