“Disappointing”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ilkley
Keighley, England, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

this room was booked months in advance for a family wedding. our room was not a bit like the 1's shown on trip advisor. old fashioned wardrobes which needed 2 hands to slide open as there was too much paint on the runners. kettle which didn't work. bathroom on 1st glance looked ok but on closer inspection was filthy. there was dust and hairs behind the door ( obviously the cleaner never closed the door whilst still in there cleaning ) yes it was a high ceiling but you could write your name in the dust on the tiles over 5 foot high. the paint was peeling off the ceiling. the bathroom door must have had a glass pane hastily replaced at some point as the replaced glass didn't match the other panes and i think my young grandson could have done a better paint job on it as no attempt had been made to make it look good.
i'm sorry to say i was disappointed with our stay here as the Craiglands has such a high reputation for a good standing hotel

5 Thank Linda A
TheCraiglandsHotel, Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Linda A

Thank you for bringing the issues with your room when you came to Craiglands. We take our guests comments very seriously .I have passed on all issues raised to our in-house dedicated maintance team who are now dealing with issues. I once again thank you.

With Best Wishes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2013

On 31 March 2012 we got married at the Craiglands. From my husband arriving at the venue to a few days after when we left the hotel the staff were fantastic and exceeded all our expectations.

On the day of the wedding I was greeted by Jessica who had planned our wedding with us and introduced to Bradley who would be looking after us for the day. Upon arrival Jessica immediately made sure I was ok and had everything I needed. Every part of the day went without a hitch and there were lots of little extra touches that Jessica and Bradley arranged which were a lovely surprise for my husband and I.

The food was beautiful and everyone commented on what a lovely atmosphere there was at the Craiglands. One of my bridesmaids has a severe nut allergy and the Craiglands arranged for an alternative pudding to be made for all guests with no hassle or additional cost. Little things like this make such a difference when planning a wedding.

We booked Matthew Schofield the pianist that the Craiglands recommend, I cannot praise Matthew enough and would suggest that anyone getting married contact him! We literally had guests asking if they could tip him he was so fabulous!

In my bridal bubble I had told some friends that I had booked them in at the Craiglands when in fact I had booked them elsewhere as a cheaper option, the Craiglands were fantastic and sorted my friends out without any hassle and without me even being aware until the following day when we lunched with our friends and they explained what had happened.

Bradley was impeccable, he was always there if we needed something but somehow managed to fade into the background whenever we didn't need him so we never felt like someone was constantly hovering.

The bridal suite was amazing and we were lucky enough to spend two nights here after the wedding to ensure we enjoyed the room fully.

All the staff were amazing, from Jessica, Bradley and there team down to the bar staff who were perfect. When we were leaving the hotel the manager of the hotel arranged for staff to help carry our bags to the car along with all our gifts.

I cannot recommend the Craiglands enough, definitely worth anyone taking the time to venue the venue.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rhiannon A
Dear Rhiannon A

I thank you for providing feedback. It was very satisfying to note that your special day went well. I shall pass on your comments to the team who will be very delighted. Our executive chef produces meals of high quality. Please do visit us for Sunday lunch etc.
Thank you once again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Old victorian hotel with rooms of faded elegance. We had a large bedroom and good bathroom which had been refurbished. Very comfortable bed. We didnt eat here at all so cant comment on that but easy walking distance to the centre of Ilkley and Betty's for the best Yorkshire breakfasts.

One thing to note - weddings on Sat night. It was very very noisy and you could hear everything even on the second floor - so dont stay on a Saturday.

3 Thank pangolin5
Dear Pangolin 5

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate that you enjoyed your stay at Craiglands. Please visit again.

Bradford
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had our christmas party for the 2nd year at the Craiglands and I have to say, I won't be going next year......

The food was very disappointing. the pate starter was a block of pate ( I have had nicer from a local supermarket) dressed with a little green salad, not dressed with anykind of toast to eat with..... regardless of whether you ordered turkey, pork, salmon or the vegetarian option, all we dressed with soggy sprouts, cold carrots and 3 rock hard roast potatoes. I chose the pork and it was a very fatty, chewy pork chop! the desserts sadly did not recoup any points the cheesecake was warm.....needless to say most of our plates went back with food it came with. The DJ played a mix of songs but as soon as the floored filled he changed tempo/genre and emptied it..... the room was devoid of any kind of atmosphere which is why I expect they stuck 3ft christmas trees on each table trying to big up the christmas spirit!

I left early and came home via macdonalds............

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank F M
Dear F M

Thank you for your feedback. I note that your visit to the hotel for Christmas event did not meet your expectation . I shall pass on your comments to our executive chef who will endeavour to take on board your views.We catered for some 5,000 guests during the month of November and December and appreciate everyone comments. Thank you once again.

With Best Wishes

Travelers are raving about these Ilkley hotels

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2012

If you want to get any sleep don't stay here. I appreciate that there were Christmas functions taking place but I assumed they would be inside the hotel and not on the main steps. We were in room 108 at the front of the building, just above the front door and from the time we went to bed until 3 a.m. there was a constant drunken racket being made by smokers from the functions inside gathering outside and as the night wore on there were more and more people congregating on the steps shouting, arguing, singing, swearing and breaking glasses. When the parties were over I had hoped it would improve and settle down but as most of the partygoers appeared to not have arranged any transport as they were ordering and waiting for taxis until the not so early hours. By the time they had dispersed we were exhausted and past sleeping and it was nearly time for breakfast but I wish I hadn't bothered as the buffet breakfast was cold as was my pot of fresh tea.
I had booked an executive room but it was just a normal small double room, though the bathroom was spacious enough.
When we left I asked to see the manager whose name I believe was Chris who strangely enough was not available, the girl on reception promised me that he would ring me that day so I left both my phone numbers which he didn't ring that day or the day after. I have been ringing the hotel for three days now asking to speak to him and being told that he would call me straight back but he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth because none of the staff, of which there are many, can't find him.
I think it would be more appropriate under the Trades Description Act if the owners renamed the place Badlands then innocent travellers would have a far better idea of what they were getting into.
Chris, in the unlikely event you read this please could you give me a call, you have my numbers everywhere.
P.S. I have never complained about a hotel before and have been to many in this country and abroad

6 Thank Steve N
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Sir,

Regarding our conversation.
Firstly I would like to thank you for your feedback. We are addressing the issues you encountered as we are dedicated to improving the standards of the Hotel, to be able to improve and offer the best customer experience possible.
As mentioned. On the night of your stay we held three successful Christmas functions for over 500 people at the hotel that night.
Last of all we would like to apologise for the way you feel due to your unsatisfactory stay.
We look forward to your next vist, and will ensure you have a pleasant stay with us in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Chris Butler.
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Very rarely review anything but my works Xmas meal at the Craiglands was terrible! Overpriced and poor poor quality - I will definitely avoid it in the future. Felt like they really didn't give any care to the meal - I know it's the works do and everyone gets drunk but that's no excuse for the soggy toast and pink slimy pate, rolled turkey, burnt carrots (!) and the cheese less cheese cake. Shame as great location.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Roxyvenus9
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Holly Ball at Craiglands, fabulous. I have known this hotel all my life with its many owners this saturday Dec 8th function for about 200 excellent the staff went out of their way to be courteous and very helpful making everyone feel special. The food was served quick and hot and very tasty. I certainly would not hesitate to book any function at last Ilkley has a really good venue.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank lizziebracelets
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilkley
Dalesway Hotel
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Travelodge Skipton
Travelodge Skipton
#4 of 4 in Skipton

Been to The Craiglands Hotel? Share your experiences!