“An appalling disgrace”

The Craiglands Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ilkley
Reviewed December 19, 2012

If you want to get any sleep don't stay here. I appreciate that there were Christmas functions taking place but I assumed they would be inside the hotel and not on the main steps. We were in room 108 at the front of the building, just above the front door and from the time we went to bed until 3 a.m. there was a constant drunken racket being made by smokers from the functions inside gathering outside and as the night wore on there were more and more people congregating on the steps shouting, arguing, singing, swearing and breaking glasses. When the parties were over I had hoped it would improve and settle down but as most of the partygoers appeared to not have arranged any transport as they were ordering and waiting for taxis until the not so early hours. By the time they had dispersed we were exhausted and past sleeping and it was nearly time for breakfast but I wish I hadn't bothered as the buffet breakfast was cold as was my pot of fresh tea.
I had booked an executive room but it was just a normal small double room, though the bathroom was spacious enough.
When we left I asked to see the manager whose name I believe was Chris who strangely enough was not available, the girl on reception promised me that he would ring me that day so I left both my phone numbers which he didn't ring that day or the day after. I have been ringing the hotel for three days now asking to speak to him and being told that he would call me straight back but he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth because none of the staff, of which there are many, can't find him.
I think it would be more appropriate under the Trades Description Act if the owners renamed the place Badlands then innocent travellers would have a far better idea of what they were getting into.
Chris, in the unlikely event you read this please could you give me a call, you have my numbers everywhere.
P.S. I have never complained about a hotel before and have been to many in this country and abroad

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Steve N
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Sir,

Regarding our conversation.
Firstly I would like to thank you for your feedback. We are addressing the issues you encountered as we are dedicated to improving the standards of the Hotel, to be able to improve and offer the best customer experience possible.
As mentioned. On the night of your stay we held three successful Christmas functions for over 500 people at the hotel that night.
Last of all we would like to apologise for the way you feel due to your unsatisfactory stay.
We look forward to your next vist, and will ensure you have a pleasant stay with us in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Chris Butler.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,086)

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Very rarely review anything but my works Xmas meal at the Craiglands was terrible! Overpriced and poor poor quality - I will definitely avoid it in the future. Felt like they really didn't give any care to the meal - I know it's the works do and everyone gets drunk but that's no excuse for the soggy toast and pink slimy pate, rolled turkey, burnt carrots (!) and the cheese less cheese cake. Shame as great location.

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank Roxyvenus9
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Holly Ball at Craiglands, fabulous. I have known this hotel all my life with its many owners this saturday Dec 8th function for about 200 excellent the staff went out of their way to be courteous and very helpful making everyone feel special. The food was served quick and hot and very tasty. I certainly would not hesitate to book any function at last Ilkley has a really good venue.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank lizziebracelets
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We got married at the Craiglands on 27th July 2012 and had the most fantastic day. I was worried having read some of the reviews, but I cannot stress enough how fantastic the day was. Jessica and the team were fantastic, they organised everything on the day, even setting up all the favours and table plan etc that I had prepared

We had some fairly snooty guests (they know who they are!) but even they were impressed! The food was amazing, and everyone ate quickly. We had 80 guests. A pair of our guests did complain about their room, but they mere moved promptly and were very happy with their new room.

In the run up to the wedding I was constantly contacting Jessica to ask ridiculous questions and generally be a pest, but she was always very prompt to reply and extremely helpful and accommodating.

If I had to say anything negative, and im being very picky, it would be about the 'little touches'... I chose to make my own menus and seating plan, as the ones on offer were not very special for a wedding... but other than that there was nothing to improve on! Excellent value for money.

If you've booked your wedding here, I recommend ignoring the bad reviews (I can't personally understand them) and look forward to what will certainly be a beautiful day!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank MagicalLeeds
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My friend and i went there for afternoon tea , a xmas treat , which it was not !!!!!!
We were in a room that had no table cloths , scratched tables , the food was appalling !!!!!!
as previous reviews, have said , shop bought cakes certainly , not homemade , rock hard scones ,and fruit cake , DRIED UP SANDWICHES, MADE WITH LEFTOVERS ,BY THE LOOK OF WHAT WAS INSIDE THEM ,
we told the waiter how disappointed we were with the afternoon tea , and how we rated it as been the worst afternoon tea experience we had ,had anywhere ever , he was very apologetic and said he would pass on our comments ,
Not what you would expect from the craiglands in ilkley, AVOID at all cost we wish we had , left feeling very let down ,by the whole experience

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank rubyrose27

Thank you for taking the time to leave your views. We are sorry that you were not entirely satisfied with your afternoon tea experience. We can assure you that your comments have been relayed to all relevant department managers.
You may note from other reviews, the vast majority of our customers have been more than happy with afternoon tea

Again, I thank you for your comments & trust that you would consider returning to The Craiglands in the future.

Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I got married at The Craiglands on 10/11/12. I have to say that the staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble. We had a fantastic stay and everything ran smoothly that's to Jessica and Naz, overall a fantastic venue which we will be visiting again!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank mrssewelltobe
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We have just had a 2 night stay at this hotel on our honeymoon and we enjoyed our stay from start to finish,we had an executive room which was lovely,the staff where very pleasant and helpful thru out,breakfast was very nice to,can't comment on the price we paid as this was bought as a wedding present for us.would stay here again,only down side was the horrible weather but it didn't stop us enjoying our time there,thank you

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth G
VAcil, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Dear Elizabeth G,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I was delighted to read that both you and your husband enjoyed your time with us and it was a pleasure to look after you during your honeymoon.

Hopefully we will see you next year for your first anniversary.

Many congratulations on your marriage & we all look forward to welcoming you back to The Craiglands in the near future.

Kind regards

Grant Upton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilkley
Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley
Travelodge Keighley
#3 of 6 in Keighley
Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa

Been to The Craiglands Hotel? Share your experiences!