“Weekend hope not to repeat”

The Craiglands Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ilkley
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just had 4 days at Craiglands. Staff very pleasant especially the dining room staff. Food good but bedrooms left a lot to be desired. First time we used the shower the heat control knob came off and it was impossible to turn down the water which was much too hot. However the unit was replaced very quickly but from then on there was no hot water whatsoever from the shower for the rest of our stay. In some bedrooms the radiators were much too hot and other bedrooms had no heat at all. The whole plumbing system in the hotel obviously needs a complete overhaul.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
VAcil, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear juliadawn0,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your views. It is really pleasing to read that you found our staff & food to be excellent & I thank you for highlighting their efforts.

Your comments regarding the heating within your bedroom have been noted & are indeed being addressed at present. I am sure you will appreciate that with a building of over 150 years old, there is a constant need for maintenance & upkeep of the property. Unfortunately, these issues do arise on occasion, with no forewarning & as such, we are only able to respond retrospectively.

I am sorry that your stay was affected by this problem but I can assure you that all steps were taken at the time in order to minimise any inconvenience.

I sincerely hope that you would consider returning to The Craiglands in the future & I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Today as part of my mothers 80th birthday celebratations we went to afternoon tea at what we thought was the posh hotel in Ilkley .Oh how wrong were we . Arrived to an empty reception and only managed to be pointed in the right direction by a passing member of staff, entered a cold shabby bar area and was told by a young man stood behind the bar to sit where we wanted, which dirty table to choose? First comes the warm cheap bubbly. next the sad dried up sandwiches which were filled with cheap turkey roll and ham. Shop bought scones and fruit cake, chocolate brownies which had seen better days Bettys is only down the road so no excuse. Overall a very disappointing experience would not return.Hotel is run down, not very clean which is a worry when you are eating and staff not interested in your feed back,

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mozzaBradford

Dear mozzaBradford,

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to leave your comments & would also like to apologise if you were not entirely satisfied.

Constructive criticism is always welcomed as it enables us to monitor our performance & adapt accordingly. However, I do feel that your comments have been exaggerated somewhat and do not accurately reflect your time with us.

On the day of your visit we looked after over forty guests for afternoon tea, and received a large number of compliments & thanks. As such, I feel that, although you may not have been entirely satisfied with your experience, your comments may be slightly unfair.

It is a shame that you feel so strongly about your time with us & I am sorry that you feel that we let you down. This was most certainly not our intention. I hope that you would consider returning to The Craiglands in order that we may be able to redeem ourselves in your eyes.

Many thanks

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Attended here recently for a formal dinner. This always used to be a prestigious hotel but hings have definitely slipped. Food and service was appalling representing very poor value for money. We were greeted by wide open freshly painted doors - not something you wish to meet when dressed in your best! The car parking is limited necessitating my husband dropping me off at the entrance - I then had to wait in a very draughtly hotel lobby until his appearance. All in all, a very disappointing evening and we will think twice about attending a function here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Janet P

Dear jaycross22,

I must take exception to this review in light of the fact that your comments are being directed at the wrong party.

On the evening of the function you attended, there was a clerical error made by the organiser of the event which resulted in a large number of guests arriving who had not been included in the final numbers given to the hotel. My team acted immediately in order to accommodate these guests & to save the organiser any embarrassment. However, with such a large number of extra guests to accommodate, there was inevitably going to be a slight delay whilst my team set up another two full tables. In addition to this, our kitchen brigade then had to prepare full meals for the extra guests with no notice.

your comment concerning the lack of parking can also be expalined by this issue & as such, I can only offer my apologies for any inconvenience that you may have endured. Additionally, you mention that the front doors had been kept open due to redecoration. You are indeed correct that we had repainted the entrance to the hotel but I can assure you that the front doors were only kept open in order to welcome you and your party.

I am sure that you will appreciate, as a property that is open to the pulic throughout the year, there is never a perfect time to carry out these works but equally, I am certain that you will understand the need for us to continually maintain the hotel in order that it can be presented to its full potential for all guests.

In closing, I am sorry that you found issue on the evening of your function but I must reiterate that the team here responded to a situation that could not have been foreseen in a manner that deserves nothing but credit.

Regards

Reviewed October 29, 2012

"Disco, Casino, Wine & Dine, Race Night, Big Kids Party or All Inclusive Glitzy Package could just be what you are looking for." Quote from Website. If you want a to sleep, check that there are no party bookings. I joined a group of walkers for the weekend. The room on the second floor was reached by lift, then by stairs going down and at an angle, then along a corridoor.The last stairs were difficult to negotiate especially with luggage. The room was spacious and well equipped but much too hot and there was no way to turn the radiators off. We had to leave windows open all day and night. Dinner was good and restaurant staff very friendly. Unfortunately there was a rugby club dance in the evening and the music, especially the base reverberated through the core of the hotel. We were on the second floor, but the music travelled through the core of the building. Guests in rooms in another wing on the first floor were also kept awake. It was impossible to sleep. Joe, the night manager was quite patronising when I phoned from my room, he could not turn the music down as it was a live band, and could not move us to another room. He could only apologise. When I went downstairs I found all the fire doors to the dance floor had been wedged open so the music spread through the hotel. I closed them. The receptionist was not aware that fire doors should be kept closed. The band finished at 12:30am and guests at the front of the hotel were disturbed by noise of revellers waiting for taxis until 1.30 am. On Saturday there were 2 wedding receptions with discos and a Halloween party with disco and band. One of our party left to drive back to Oxford rather than have another disturbed night. Another moved to a different hotel. Again fire doors were wedged open and a fire extinguisher was used to prop another door open. The night manager could not hear when I phoned because of the music from 3 venues. He was even less interested than on the Friday night. Breakfast service was slow on Sunday morning. My weekend was ruined by not being able to sleep.

Room Tip: check there are no events taking place when you stay
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank robinSheffield
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Fine old hotel.Car park 100 yards from reception which for me was a struggle with the cases.Should have unloaded at entrance,booked in and then parked the car.At breakfast shown to table and asked if i was having full breakfasr.My reply yes ,young man departed..10 to 15
minutes later with no progress other than a pot of tea my enquire found that the breakfast was self
service and the food was through another dining room two further doors and available.Agood meal eventually.A very young attentive staff.Mayby some training required.

Room Tip: Room 141 at the end of the corridor and the hot water took some time to arrive at the tap.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Peter F,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to let you know that we have only very recently employed a new operations manager within the hotel who will be concentrating initially on service training & looking at ways in which we can improve our overall performance across the hotel.

I trust that you would like to return to The Craiglands in the future & I am certain you will be pleased with the improvements made.

Many thanks again for taking the time to leave your views.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

The room was clean and spacious. Breakfast was good, although no continental option on the first morning. Convenient parking and walking distance into the centre of Ilkley. Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights for the price of 1 and it was good value but not sure I would have felt the same had a paid full price.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Bam2008,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is fantastic to read that you enjoyed your time with us and I can assure you that I will share your comments with the team here.

We regularly place special offers across the hotel so please keep an eye out for the next promotion.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Craiglands in the future.

Many thanks again

Reviewed October 19, 2012

public toilets for the event were dirty, half the light bulbs were missing and toilet rolls were just thrown on the floor. i asked staff at reception 4 times to sort out the toilets and it was never done.

sandwiches were very poor. cheap fillings, no salad. unsatisfactory.

staff were very unhelpful, through no fault of their own, they seemed to have no idea what was going on and there was no management to support them. a good team needs good management.

parking was a nightmare. at least 3 neighbors came in whilst we were attempting to check in to complain and threaten to call the police. not a good look.

check in to the rooms was not till 2 o'clock. the wedding was at 2 o'clock! very smart!

there was a lack of staff available to help with any problems.

no clean champagne flute available when we arrived for the bride. i had to wait while they washed them up!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SophieAlexi

Dear SophieAlexi,

Thank you for your recent review, we appreciate the time you have taken to leave your feedback. As a team we strive to continually improve and enhance our guest’s experience, constructive comments allow us to further advance our products and services however I feel the way in which you have relayed your feedback is somewhat embellished and in part misleading.

Check in at the Hotel is from 2pm, which gives the housekeeping team a timescale to service the room from the previous occupants. The check-in time is made available on our website, in your booking confirmation and is relayed at the time of booking. We endeavour to allow guests an early check-in, but this cannot be guaranteed. I am aware you had a function to attend at 2pm but as explained to you on the day, we offer guests attending functions a two night discounted accommodation rate, booking the night prior would have guaranteed your room availability upon arrival at the hotel. I must also note that you had multiple rooms booked and were able to check in to the available rooms prior to 2pm.

We have two car parks within the hotel grounds. Upon your arrival one car park was full; however the second lower car park was vacant in its entirety. New signage has being recently erected to direct guests, I’m sorry if you overlooked these in your haste to check-in.
I have spoken to the Housekeeping team regarding the cleanliness of the toilet facilities; I am apologetic that on this occasion you found them to be less than satisfactory. In line with our environmental policy, the lights in the toilet cubicles are on sensors which are activated once you step inside. A member of the housekeeping team serviced the public toilets throughout the day which were busier than usual with guests getting changed and preparing for the wedding.
We have received a large amount of praise from guests in attendance of the wedding and I’m sorry that on this occasion you didn’t feel we got it 100% correct. I do hope you consider staying with us again in the future; we would be delighted to welcome you back.

Bradley Mitchell
Assistant General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilkley
Dalesway Hotel
Rendezvous Hotel
Rendezvous Hotel
#3 of 4 in Skipton
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa

Been to The Craiglands Hotel? Share your experiences!