“hmm!”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ilkley
Durham, United Kingdom
“hmm!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

Me and my husband stayed with a groupon voucher and our "executive" room upgrade was a joke the paper was peeling off the walls,stains on the carpet and dust everywhere!,the bathroom had dirt and hair around the edges and there was cobwebs on the window.the hotel itself was pretty inside but only had a few guests so felt a bit empty.The staff were ok if you could find them and you could tell they didn't want to be there we had afternoon tea with a glass of wine which was included in the deal it was nice but a bit small and the room we had it in was a bit tatty but they are busy renovating and mustn't have done that one yet.breakfast was nice on the first morning but poor on the second there was nothing left.The location was the best thing about our stay just a short walk down the hill.Overall very dissapointing never staying there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
GUsher12, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear Kayc224

Thank you for your recent review, I was very sorry to read your comments that you were not happy with the quality of your bedroom, you are quite right that we are currently refurbishing areas and bedrooms within hte hotel and I am sincerley sorry if you were effected by this, I hope that you did indeed inform the team so they could have moved you to a room you could enjoy and relax in.

I was sorry to read your comments about breakfast, this is the most important meal of the day and I will ensure your comments are actioned immediatley.

We do offer a customer feedback process and forms at the hotel for all our guests to let us know the great points and staff about their stay and also to advise on anything which we can improve. We take all comments very seriously in order to perfect our beautiful hotel and would therefore be delighted to discuss yours in more detail.

With my very best wishes.

Graham Usher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

For hotel that seems to pride itself on hospitality, I have never stayed at a place which says it is one thing, and fails so spectacularly at it. List of complaints: 1. Tv not working (fine, except for the rugby worked cup semi-final), 2. A cloudy beer due to dirty pipes, 3. Shower not cleaned from previous occupant, 4. Shocking service at breakfast - we're still waiting for the toast, 5. Finally, a live band and disco which we could hear every note and word sung two floors below us until 1.30 am. And that's just the highlights - add in an atmosphere as cold as the arctic and no coffee to boot.
This hotel is trying to be something it'd not because it cannot sort out the basics of running a hotel. Do NOT stay here!

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank hopestobefair
GUsher12, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear Hopestobefair

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us last weekend. I am so sorry that you experienced any issues during your time with us, I would like to have the opportunity to investigate your comments with the team and would please ask that you contact myself at the hotel so we are able to understand what went wrong.

I very much look forward to hearing from you.

Wit my very best wishes.

Graham Usher

Travelers are raving about these Ilkley hotels

Gateshead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at The Craiglands Ilkley using a Groupon voucher. My parents were with me and we had a wonderful time. The Hotel was very comfortable and accommodating. Our break included breakfast and afternoon tea. Both were fabulous. Breakfast was very tasty- a good selection of cereals, fruit hot food,tea/coffee and toast.The young man serving at breakfast was very pleasant and welcoming and remembered out particular preferences form our first morning. Our rooms were lovely- warm comfortable and clean. Good tea/ coffee making facilities.The whole area was very nice and there were lots of things to do/places to visit.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend it

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank 611Shirley55
Dear 611Shirley55

Many thanks for your lovely kind comments, we use Trip Advisor within the hotel to share our guests feedback, Its really nice to find people with the time to also share their enjoyment following their stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Craiglands hotel again soon.

Kind regards

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

Firstly the hotel is in a great spot.. its a short walk down a steepish hill to the train station which makes leeds, york harrogate etc very accessible...

The hotel.. Room was a good size I had 132...the TV needed to be set up but thats a five minute job..The hotel is a substanial victorian built building and because of this sound does not travel far..It also has plenty of parking
The breakfast is good and the staff ( not very many of them) are really keen to help..
There is a lot of effort going on but the hotel was nearlly empty of guest and lacked atmosphere as a result ... I wish the owners every success but fear that unless they can attract more clients this will not be a going concern for long..

Would I go back ??... yes if the price was right..

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steve g
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

Returned from a weekend stay will a group of 4 couples using a groupon voucher. This hotel offered value for money, accommodation clean, king size bed, new decor, bedding, curtains all matched. The staff was very helpful and friendly, nice atmosphere, food very good value. We attended the Take That tribute night which was excellent. Would recommend this hotel

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Lofthouse, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

Stayed at this hotel as part of an offer from Groupon, which I think was the problem. Trying to book the room itself set a terrible expectation, which was sadly reflected in our stay. We checking in initially to room 136, which was dark, small and stunk of mould - trust me this is no exaggeration. After a conversation with reception, we were moved to room 206. This to be fair was clean and I think had been refurbished. However the mattress was disgusting and painfully uncomfortable - wherever we tried to lay, we could feel all of the springs, I wouldnt be surprised if the mattress was as old as the hotel itself! The walls were like paper, we could hear every word from the people next door. The staff seemed to lack any effort or desire to generate an experience. The public areas were unclean - especially our breakfast table - yuck! When we came to check out, they couldnt find us in the system anywhere or return our credit card slip - but they did however try and give me another guests!! This normally wouldnt have been so concerning, but there had been a false fire alarm that morning, which makes me think they wouldnt have known to look for us - which surely is a hotel basic and a big no-no? We put the whole experience down to being a 'low value' customer, as we got this on an offer, but surely the basis of the offer is to generate either future business or word of mouth custom, which there will be none of following our experience. In case you think this is just me having a rant, there were many other customers sharing similar experiences yesterday morning and this is my first review - I felt compelled to write so others don't have the same experience! So in short, only stay at this hotel if your desperate, blind drunk or there really is no other option - but even then your car would be a safer option.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KG_IS2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

My husband and I have just returned from a weekend at the Craiglands This was a Groupon deal and fantastic value! On entering,the hotel has obviously been refurbished(in fact this is ongoing in some areas) It is a fabulous looking building outside and in. The first room we were allocated was nicely decorated and had been recently done ,however it was a trifle small and on trying to switch on the lamp on the wall, the lamp fell off! We went to reception and were then given a choice of two other rooms. The room we chose was a lovely large room with a huge bathroom and the bed was lovely and comfortable. There is a problem with water pressure but so what! We ate dinner on the first night at the hotel and it was fine the restaurant is beautifully fitted out and we had a free bottle of wine, part of the offer!
Breakfast was the usual buffet style and very plentiful and hot with all the normal accompaniments. We had afternoon tea on the Saturday which was sandwiches freshly made, cakes and scones with jam and cream tea or coffee and a glass of wine, also include in the offer. Breakfast again on the Sunday was great. I couldnt fault any of the staff at all or the service and this is definitely the beast offer we have ever had at a hotel!! .

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lynne T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilkley
Dalesway Hotel
The Crescent Inn
The Crescent Inn
#1 of 9 in Ilkley
Ilkley Riverside Hotel

Been to The Craiglands Hotel? Share your experiences!