“Good value meal in comfortable surroundings”
Review of The Lister Arms

The Lister Arms
Ranked #50 of 100 Restaurants in Ilkley
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: This is a new weatherspoons. LS29 9LB
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We had a good value special of the day and a bottle of wine in warm comfortable surroundings. This is a Wetherspoons pub so you know it is not going to be fancy but there is plenty of choice and unlike some other branches, it is not dominated by those just wishing to drink cheap beer.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Cheap and cheerful? Neither. Wanting a fairly healthy lunch I ordered a Chicken wrap with sweet chilli dressing. When is arrived it had hardly and chicken in it, a little lettuce and NO chilli sauce plus it was cold.

I sent it back. My partner had eaten his all day breakfast brunch which I will not be commenting on. He had finished eating when I noticed that my replacement meal was on the servery waiting for me. Several people looked at it but nobody brought it.

Eventually, my partner went and got it for me. I wish I could say it was delicious but no, it was nearly as bad. At nearly £7 i feel it was a rip off and won't be going back.

Andy A, Public Relations Manager at The Lister Arms, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Hi There,

I would just like to apologise on behalf of all of the staff here at The Lister Arms. We regret that you didn't enjoy your experience at our pub as service is normally excellent and food normally prepared and cooked to very high standard. Just so you know for next time, the chicken in the chicken breast wrap is meant to be served cold, according to the company specification. I can only apologise again and hope that maybe if you come in again we can prove to you that we are a great pub with meals and drinks that are great value for money.

The Lister Arms

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I used to eat at the original Lister's Arms before it closed down probably 30 years ago now. Whilst driving around Ilkley this lunch time looking for a parking space I spotted the new version on the corner. I'd not noticed it on previous visits and it looked new. I parked the car and walked down to the pub to take a look. I then spotted that it was a Wetherspoons. I've only previously visited three of their establishments and didn't stay long, they were full of noisy people and unsavoury characters so I was a bit apprehensive. We walked in to find a lovely cosy pub, very clean and well kept. The lunchtime ambience with the dimmed lighting was good and there were plenty of obviously well-heeled clients enjoying lunch. We were delighted to find a choice of 5 real ales in good condition and choose two. A young girl served the drinks efficiently and courteously and we sat down to look at the menu. The first thing I noticed was that all the dishes had a calorie count is very useful. it does obviously mean that all the food is portion controlled so it must be chilled or frozen, not surprising at the prices but we decided to give it a go. As we were eating more substantially this evening we opted for the meals that are priced at two for £8.49 My partner chose ham with 2 fried eggs and chips and I chose Chilli with rice and sour cream. The food was delivered speedily and was definitely good value. The ham was reformed rather than 'off the bone' but it was perfectly OK. The two eggs were reportedly fine and the small quantity of chips was all that was expected for the price. My chilli was hot and tasty if not slightly glutinous. The accompanying rice was cooked properly, dry and grain-separate. It was topped with a good blob of cream and there were broken tortilla chips too. There are two things I hate when I go to ANY restaurant be it Michelin starred or a transport cafe. The first is to have people constantly coming and pestering me asking if everything is alright. If the food is not alright it's the customer's right to complain. ALL restaurants should leave the customer to make the decision and they should have the confidence to leave the customer alone. I was perfectly happy therefore to be asked ONCE if everything was alright with our meals about 3 minutes after they were delivered. Better still we weren't addressed as 'guys' or 'gents' Calling a 65 and a 72 year old guys is irritating and gents makes me feel like a public lavatory.
When we had finished the plates were quickly taken away and we both said the meal was excellent which it most certainly was for the price. We overheard diners at adjacent tables who all said that they enjoyed their food.There were only three staff in evidence. The young girl, a tall thin young man and a more stocky one. The three of them were working very hard and no one was kept waiting, drinks and food arrived quickly and courteously. The toilets were spotlessly clean as was the bar area and the tables. The laminated menu cards were a tad sticky and could do with a wipe but I suspect that happens judging by the overall presentation of the place. I always try to avoid chain pubs which isn't easy these days with Mitchell and Butler owning nearly everything but I will most certainly revisit this particular Wetherspoons and will not be so dismissive of other branches when I'm looking for a pint and a spot of lunch.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This pub had no ambience, was dark and uninviting, and was somewhat noisy when I tried to have a quiet meal. The Scottish salmon steak(advertised as a 'special'), was small, under cooked at one end and dried up at the other. the rest of the meal was lukewarm but pleasant enough. The side salad was uninteresting. I was about to have a waffle with fruit compote and ice cream, until I read that it consisted of 757 calories!! That was the chain's only good point - giving the calorie count, for those interested in healthy options.
The table staff were friendly and helpful, but too busy to be able to clear previously used tables.
The best choice was half a pint of a local guest pale ale, which was superb - Naylor's Ale.
Not a place to have a solitary quiet meal.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Been here each month this year. The staff have always been efficient and courteous .
The food has been fresh, good quality and well presented. Very good valid for money.
The fish we had was far better than we had in a reputable, well known , more expensive restaurant recently.
If you want reasonable food at an affordable price this is the place to come.