“Back again for a lovely evening” 4 of 5 bubbles

Monkman's Wine bar & Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 93 Restaurants in Ilkley
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
West Yorkshire
“Back again for a lovely evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Feeling I might have been a little harsh with my last review we returned for another visit. Everything went well, the food was good, the wine as reliable and interesting as ever and the bill just so reasonable. Yes, it is a neighborhood restaurant you'd want to visit again and again.
Back again soon.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good food: not great value as per other reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

The 2 of us dined here on a quiet Tuesday evening.
The red wine we chose, which was one of the house wines, was very good.
We chose prawns and scallops for starters off the specials board which were well presented and very nice. The choice overall on the specials board looked great.
Whilst I enjoyed the beef bourguignon for main, my partner's venison was a little tough.
The French woman who runs the restaurant seemed very friendly, although the other staff member appeared less so, and did not ask how our meals were when collecting our plates.
I was under the impression that the restaurant would be very good value for money as read in other reviews, but prices may have increased as we did not find this the case at all.
Overall a decent place to eat, especially if you are seeking a fish dish and good wine.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nice food and some outstanding little touches make it definitely worth a visit.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

This was our first visit to this restaurant and if we lived locally we would definitely return. We only booked our whole evening in Ilkley a couple of days before we went so were only able to get a reservation for 9.15pm. This was absolutely fine though. Firstly when we arrived the host (owner I think) was very genial and charming, he recommended the house white when I asked for pinot grigio. If I were to go again I would probably decide to go for some pinot grigio after all, but not because the house white wasn't nice. He also brought over a jug of water, and bread and olives straight away for us - I personally love little touches like this. I had the scallops and then the chicken stuffed with apricots. My husband had mussels to start and then the sirloin steak. We then both had the creme brulee. I would order the creme brulee again if we returned but we said that we would like to try different things from the menu for our other courses. We liked all the food but it was really the ambience and the touches such as the complimentary warm breads and the incredibly warm and friendly hosts that made our experience very good overall.

1 Thank AimeeHannah
Huddersfield
“Ca Vas Bien”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Although we now live in Portsmouth some 290 miles from Monkmans we still regularly go whenever we can to this fine and inexpensive restaurant. Indeed last time we went I liked the house wine so much I went around the corner to their supplier and purchased a case to go back to Portsmouth with me. The Monkmans special five pound lunch is incredible value and when we go for an evening the food sometimes is even better than the marvellous lunch. This is somewhere we would like to keep a secret because we have been turned down for a meal when we have not booked. However on the other hand people should know that it is much better food and much better value than the over rated Box Tree restaurant that suffers from being on the main road.

• Visited May 2013
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Lovely food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Visited the restaurant with friends. The food was really unusual and really really nice. I could have picked many things from the menu. The restaurant seems to be known locally as a fish restaurant but this is only because the seem to offer fish courses as specials each day. There is however a variety of non fish meals to choose from all of which were exciting.
The atmosphere was really nice and i would definatly recommend to others