“Nice food and some outstanding little touches make it definitely worth a visit.”

Monkman's Wine bar & Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 100 Restaurants in Ilkley
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This was our first visit to this restaurant and if we lived locally we would definitely return. We only booked our whole evening in Ilkley a couple of days before we went so were only able to get a reservation for 9.15pm. This was absolutely fine though. Firstly when we arrived the host (owner I think) was very genial and charming, he recommended the house white when I asked for pinot grigio. If I were to go again I would probably decide to go for some pinot grigio after all, but not because the house white wasn't nice. He also brought over a jug of water, and bread and olives straight away for us - I personally love little touches like this. I had the scallops and then the chicken stuffed with apricots. My husband had mussels to start and then the sirloin steak. We then both had the creme brulee. I would order the creme brulee again if we returned but we said that we would like to try different things from the menu for our other courses. We liked all the food but it was really the ambience and the touches such as the complimentary warm breads and the incredibly warm and friendly hosts that made our experience very good overall.

1  Thank AimeeHannah

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Although we now live in Portsmouth some 290 miles from Monkmans we still regularly go whenever we can to this fine and inexpensive restaurant. Indeed last time we went I liked the house wine so much I went around the corner to their supplier and purchased a case to go back to Portsmouth with me. The Monkmans special five pound lunch is incredible value and when we go for an evening the food sometimes is even better than the marvellous lunch. This is somewhere we would like to keep a secret because we have been turned down for a meal when we have not booked. However on the other hand people should know that it is much better food and much better value than the over rated Box Tree restaurant that suffers from being on the main road.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Visited the restaurant with friends. The food was really unusual and really really nice. I could have picked many things from the menu. The restaurant seems to be known locally as a fish restaurant but this is only because the seem to offer fish courses as specials each day. There is however a variety of non fish meals to choose from all of which were exciting.
The atmosphere was really nice and i would definatly recommend to others

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great meal again at Monkmans - very good value along with friendly service and tasty food.
Early bird menu is especially good value but the full menu is also good value too.

Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Another great meal with fantastic, friendly service. Love the atmosphere and food but have the prices gone up?