All reviewsthe penthousethe pubtop floorsunday carverymain roadbrilliant locationspacious roomjacuzzi bathgreat yorkshiresaturday nightgreat place to staystayed here for one nightgreat weekendfew drinkshome from homepiefull english
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Really not worth the price. We paid £85! Maybe that's normal for small towns with not many hotels, but seemed high for a room over a pub. The room was lovely with modern furnishings. It was handy in the middle of town for us to attend a wedding nearby. I rang in advance to ask if we could check in early (at noon) to get ready for a friend's wedding. On the phone they said it was ok, but that we might have to wait "a few minutes" if the room wasn't ready. We arrived at 12.45 and were told the room wasn't ready and that we'd have to wait 15-20min. I completely appreciate that the turnaround time is tight, but if it wasn't possible they shouldn't have agreed to it and we would have got ready before we travelled. Staff were young and a bit clueless. Check out is at 10.30, so if you actually like to sleep, not good. Bells from a church nearby went on continuously from 9 until after we left! The bathroom looked old and tired and could have done with a lick of paint...unlike the room which looked v modern and recently decorated. The toilet roll holder even fell off the wall!

• Stayed: September 2013
soccamatic, Owner at Dalesway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

I really don't get it.
How can someone complain about wanting an early check-in and then go on to complain about a check out time of 10.30am.

Not worth £85.00 for a peak-time Saturday in a tourist town ?
Ilkley runs full every Saturday in the year and we have a waiting list for rooms most weeks and we are generally the cheapest and do not insist on 2 nights minimum stay.
The only other pubs with rooms locally charge £105 and £125 for a double room.

Church Bells.
I will ask the vicar not to ring the bells on a Sunday morning but as they have been doing it for over 900 years, I doubt he will change it.

Ian. Owner.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had 2 carvery s, one with pork, the other vegetarian - i just had the veg, potatoes and yorkies. It was great, huge Yorkshire puddings, 5 choices of veg, lovely roast potatoes and parsnips, the lady behind the counter offered me onion gravy too.
Big pudding of apple pie and custard, nice friendly staff. Eating area was clean, no problems. Would go here again. My mum and dad go here most weekends, we have never been, would definitely go back, much better than some of the ostentatious, snobby places round that area we have been to lately

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank julie196
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Food says home made.... its certainly not. I had a beef Yorkshire pudding. Beef was the stuff you cook in the bag in the microwave ,,, roast potatoes well 2 was home made but hard the other 2 was frozen and as for the Yorkshire pudding well it had no taste what's so ever. Tables were dirty and we also found a hair in one of our children's meals. Would never go there again

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank clarelouise1989
ian c, Owner at Dalesway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

I would like to point out that no one else agrees with this opinion.
We have won Best Food in Ilkley 2011 and 2012 with our brand of homemade pub food. (As voted by the public not some "in house" award).

We buy all local produce from suppliers in the town and they are particularly annoyed with the review. Too many places provide "ready made" food and we certainly do not.

Any guest is welcome to visit our chef/cook - Rose, who has worked here for 20 years and watch her preparing fresh meals from goods delivered daily.

Yorkshire Puddings.
We get loads of brilliant comments about our homemade Yorkshires and if this reviewer doesn't like them then perhaps they are used to the "supermarke frozen variety" !

How can a roast potato be frozen on our premises ? We peel and cook them fresh for every meal service and never keep any at the end of each day. Ridiculous.

The old chestnut about finding a hair in food. I would be demanding to speak to the manager immediately if it happened to me , something it appears this reviewer neglected to do. Odd.
Perhaps a DNA test would solve the question of how it got there.

Finally, I do not as an owner like to have to tackle a guest review but I will not stand by and see our chef and staff's hard work ruined in one ill informed review.
Ian.
Owner/Manager.

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night as takes dogs. Is an old building and decoration basic. Furniture basic, cleaniness of bathroom okay. Bed comfy. Did not have breakfast so no comment but the reviews suggest great food but on arrival between 6-8pm only handful people in and no one eating !. Went to station for great curry. Is a 2/3 star. Okay as place to lay your head.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Came here the other weekend for a break with my children aged 10 and 8 and our first trip away with our 6 month old Border Terrier... Wow.. The room was very clean with lovely fresh bedding and a nice size. We didn't eat here as we had a walk out.. but I have to say it looked and smelled lovely.. I love Ilkley - such a beautiful town and a lovely variety of shops and all in all a lovely weekend away.. Dalesway is the perfect location, right next to the river, the Dalesway walk, park, shops and restaurants.. Will definitely return.. and bonus we met 2 lovely people who come here regularly with their Border Terrier Gem.. Loved it and they were lovely company.. Thank you for a lovely weekend.. and highly recommended is Lishmans of Ilkley.. Quality butchers, deli and pie shop...! Went in for a pack of sausages and £70.00 later I walked out... but the some of the best meat I've ever bought...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family