Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
$63
TripAdvisor
All reviewscow and calfcomplimentary continental breakfastchecked in quicklyfabulous viewsfamily roomstunning locationno liftwalking holidayfirst floorone night staydouble bedrocksmoorveluxfireslogcereal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is one of the Vintage Inns chain of establishments and therefore offers accommodation, food and pub facilities however The Cow & Calf has the added bonus of a superb position with wonderful views of Ilkley town in one direction and the (world) famous Ilkley Moor in the other direction.
If walking is your thing then this is just brilliant - if not, then you can still enjoy the close proximity to the town itself (nice walk down but a pretty steep pull back up again) which has a good selection of shops, etc. plus another (world) famous attraction - Betty's Tea Rooms on The Grove.
So, those of you who feel that there's "nowt to see up t'North" you're in for a surprise...throw in the spa town of Harrogate, the National Media Museum in Bradford and the National Railway Museum in York to name just three attractions within a short drive and you have NO EXCUSE not to visit the area.
If you do, then do stay at The Cow & Calf 'cause the continental breakfasts are good, the pub grub is value for money, the beer's good, the rooms are comfy but, and this is the best bit, the staff are just the friendliest team you'd wish to meet
........give them a go, you'll not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Stairs access to all rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2013

After visiting the Cow and Calf previously for lunch and drinks, I thought it would be an ideal venue for Mothers Day dinner. However was wrong.

The table was booked for 5pm. I did expected a delay being Mothers Day but we wasn't seated to the table until 5.25pm. We was informed at this point that Beef was no longer on the menu and as a substitute they were prepared to cater the Lamb at the same price. My mother in law asked at this point, will there be enough for everyone. This being eight adults and we was told that it would be fine, and they are not running out anytime soon.

Some time after, a different waitress came to take the order and informed us there was now no lamb either. We queried what we had been told previously, only to be informed by the waitress, Karen, "its not my fault".

This set the scene for the service we were to expect for the duration of our meal. After having to change our minds several times due to the lack of items left on the menu, we eventually placed the order. This was from the set menu, five chicken meals and three pork meals. It took over one hour after the starter. Trying to get attention from the staff was next to impossible. They tried their utmost to avoid any form of eye contact. After us asking if the meals are on their way, we were informed "yes, don't worry". When the meals did arrive they were average at best and not once did any of the staff come back to check how everything was.

In conclusion, I would not have expected to have been sat in the restaurant for three hours. I would have expected good service throughout and some form of empathy given the circumstances. Out of the eight guest they served, not one enjoyed themselves. After looking at other reviews it appears this is not a one off. If your wanting a reasonable priced meal out, with good service, then I would avoid the Cow and Calf as the eight of us will not be returning.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Cow and Calf is a 5 minute drive from Ilkley up a steep hill with fantastic views. Very nice bar area and my wife and I had a drink on the evening we stayed after going to Ilkley for a curry (recommend Panache curry house!!). Our room at the Cow and Calf was very nice and considering when I was younger I stayed in tents most of my scouting career, this hotel was 5 star compared to those. I was not walking this time, here to see relatives but it seemed a very friendly pub in which people who were out walking could stop for a nice lunch or just a pint. I enjoyed my stay here and on the Sunday 4 of us had a meal which was very good. Despite being packed I had no problem with any of the service or food which had been mentioned in previous reviews. I am quite relaxed when it comes to that anyway. However Cow and Calf was a pleasant stay and I will be returning.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ChrisWhiting77
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The hotel is on the moors above the town of Ilkley. Suberb views from our Wharfe Valley View room. We had a family room and as there was only the two of us the room was very spacious. Continental breakfast was good and the staff were friendly. The restaurant was very busy as it was a sunny weekend but we were able to have a quiet drink later on in the evening.

Room Tip: Book one of the 'View' rooms to fully appreciate the location of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jan1315
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Having not been to the Cow and Calf for several years my mother and I decided to try it on the spur of the moment. The atmosphere was pleasant and the pub has changed hands since I was last there, and is now a Vintage Inn chain pub. We got a table easily, since we arrived fairly early. We opted for the fixed price 2-course menu and went for a starter and a main for £8.50, which seemed good value. The selection wasn't very inspiring but was acceptable. When the food came it was very disappointing: the scampi was bulk-buy breadcrumbed prawns, which although whole and identifiable as prawns did have a peculiar flavour. The coconut chicken was very dry. Each meal came with a pile of pale over-seasoned chips that had not been cooked properly. We decided not to stay for the optional third course for £10.50 since neither of us could face another disappointing course. The service was acceptable, but it was clear that Vintage Inns had put more thought into the decor than the menu and preparation of the food. I won't be eating there again.

The only plus side was that the view from the ladies' toilet was spectacular.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family