“charming and friendly”
Review of Garnett B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hebden Bridge
Garnett B & B
Ranked #3 of 22 Hebden Bridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Garnett is a great little b&b in Hebden Bridge. The owner, Sharon, is very friendly, helpful and accommodating and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The rooms are beautiful and share a tastefully decorated and spotless bathroom. Breakfast in particular is lovely, full English, fresh fruit, cereal, etc. all with delightful conversation with Sharon and the other guests. If you want an antidote to the soulless chain hotels, this is certainly it.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Alan C
There are newer reviews for Garnett B & B

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We've just returned from a lovely weekend in Hebden Bridge and the Garnett B and B was perfect for our stay. The location was perfect as it is really central, the rooms were spacious,clean and comfortable and Sharon our host was extremely friendly and made us feel relaxed. It honestly felt like we were staying in a friends house. We hope to return soon.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank rubymum123
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I had booked one night’s stay at the Garnett B&B in Hebden Bridge months earlier, and was rather shocked to be told upon my arrival (after a long day travelling from Whitby and seeing a show in Bradford) that the owner had double-booked my room. Sharon, the owner, was apologetic and I know mistakes do happen, so I felt sorry for her. She told me not to worry as she still had a room for me, but this turned out to be her room! I felt a little uneasy about this, but went along with it as I felt I didn’t have a choice in the matter and I was feeling rather tired after my long day. She showed me to her attic bedroom which was charming but small and didn’t resemble the spacious room I had booked; it had a skylight window, and not a window with a view, which I was expecting. But again, I went along with it; again, I felt as if had little choice and she seemed genuinely sorry about the mistake. At this stage, I thought perhaps she would offer me a discount before checking out.

I unpacked and started opening drawers in the hope of finding an empty one, but all I found in the drawers were her personal belongings! I felt as if I was snooping, which made me feel uncomfortable. I eventually found the smallest empty drawer, which only fitted in my underwear and t-shirt. The kettle turned out to be on the floor, the tea/coffee etc on a tray in the bathroom. There were no guest toiletries as advertised, only her personal ones which I had to use (and again felt uncomfortable about doing so – I’m sure most guests would prefer unopened toiletries!). There was no bathrobe or TV/DVD as advertised (although Sharon did offer to get me a portable, I told her not to bother as I was unlikely to watch it anyway). There was also no hairdryer as advertised and there were no instructions on how to access the WIFI. Furthermore, there was no lock on the door!

I could go on describing how all these things marred my brief holiday stay in Hebden Bridge, but this review is long enough as it is. The house, its rooms and the breakfast were lovely. Sharon was pleasant until I explained that I didn’t feel that I had got what was advertised and had decided to pay her £40 instead of £50 for the night. I thought this was fair, but I had expected her to have offered a reduced rate before I had to do this. But then, seemingly uninterested in my feelings, she told me that she had done me a favour by giving up her room! She also told me - and I quote - that ‘all my rooms have my clothes in the drawers; this is my home where I like to share with other people, paying guests, and it’s not really a B&B’ (which seems odd when the first words on the website are “Bed and Breakfast”!).Then, amazingly she told me that I ‘shouldn’t expect such high standards’! I told her that I expected the room I had booked in advance, with all amenities as advertised and that as I didn’t, that should reflect in the price charged.

I told her I expected a more professional approach. I live among the B&B’s in Whitby and some of my friends own B&B’s; I know they wouldn’t have had her attitude and would have offered a discount for a mistake they had made (Sharon even admitted to giving my room to someone else too!). So I told her that the moral of the story is when one double-books a room, one should contact the person in advance and not when they walk through the door, so that alternative arrangements can be made. She still wouldn’t accept that she was in the wrong, and seemed to continue blaming me for my attitude. Then she slammed the door in my face. Not a pleasant experience!

I would have given 4 stars if I had got what I had booked. I would also have given 4 stars if I’d been given a discount for what I actually received. But because I got no discount and because the owner’s attitude was so negative, I have no choice but to give my stay at the Garnett only 1 star.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank michelledjames2009
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed one night recently prior to seeing a gig at the Trades Club and can only endorse the views of all the other reviewers. Sharon is a superb host, the (front) room was excellent and it was topped off by a fantastic breakfast. Absolute value for money and Hebden Bridge itself was a great place to visit.

Room Tip: Both rooms very nice, but the front room is very spacious and would always be my pick.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Frost5
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I stayed here for one night with my girlfriend, we love Hebden Bridge. It acted like a brilliant base for shopping, lunch and drinks and then a lovely rest before evening meal and more drinks.

From the start, Sharon was most welcoming, even when we arrived she was jolly hovering around with Abba on in the background. The house itself is a gem, very tastefully decorated, I hope she won't mind me saying 'uniquely chic'! The room was big (as was the other - I popped a sneaky peak) and comfy, all very very clean.

Breakfast was smashing too - A choice of pretty much anything, and there was no awkward sit down with other guests who you have nothing in common with - I imagine it's reputation means the guests are all of a pretty similar ilk, or at least conversationally interesting!

Can't fault it. Will stay again for our next 'getaway'.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sethareli
Reviewed April 16, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed 3 nights (30 Mar - 2 Apr 2014) and absolutely loved it. Sharon & Andy are amazing, friendly, welcoming people and they made our trip. After 10 minutes we felt like we had known them for years. The B&B is excellent value and I cannot fault it in anyway.

Breakfast was excellent but the chat each morning with Sharon and Andy even better! Would strongly recommend this B&B. We'll be back . . .

Michael & Jackie

Room Tip: Just go! The room is brilliant.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Sharon has an amazing guest house .my girlfriend and myself loved our visit here and would recommend people to stay here . The bedroom is wonderfuly decorrated , the bathroom is amazing and the shower is brilliant .
Breakfast is so filling and nothing is left out . The decor in the dinning room is lovely and the lighting is amazing . Can't wait to stay again :-)

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
#9 of 22 in Hebden Bridge
Moyles
Moyles
#4 of 22 in Hebden Bridge

Been to Garnett B & B? Share your experiences!