The Old Gate
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Gastro Pub & Restaurant, serving dishes ranging from sandwiches & burgers to a la carte dishes and fresh seafood. Modern British/European Cuisine
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have not eaten or drunk at the Old Gate. When I entered I wanted to look at the beer pumps to see what was on offer, since there were several available. In doing so I needed say "Excuse me" to get past two chaps and a dog who were occupying that space at the bar. One of them took exception to this and started a tirade of limited vocabulary, most words beginning with "F". The barmaid approached and mildly reprimanded this oaf, whose name (Paul) she knew. She asked me politely what I would like but he was still swearing so I left.

2  Thank TFEcclescake

Reviewed October 28, 2013

A friend in Hebden Bridge recommended this restaurant. The menu looked tempting, but as we only wanted a light lunch we elected to share the seafood platter. The presentation was great, the taste excellent and the portions generous. We ate in the bar area and the service was very attentive.

All round a very positive experience.

Tourist17 Buckinghamshire

Reviewed October 27, 2013

From a bar snack to a blowout, you can eat in almost any style here, and in style too! Offering much more than mere pub grub, this is a kitchen of some competence, easily the best in and around Hebden. The wine list has been expertly chosen, the service is attentive and professional, the pricing represents good value. Add in Illy coffee and some great beers and you are close to perfection.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

A friend waits in this restaurant and she said try it, so thought i'd give it a go - she wasn't working so I could be objective.
On first entering I thought it was just a pub - with a nice layout and lovely beers - but when I said I wanted to eat was directed upstairs with little fuss. I was met by the general manager who seemed to the waiter and the service was excellent from then on. The seating was good, and even though there weren't many people in on a Monday, we were sat so as to feel cosy, yet private.
I had the lamb special - cooked pink and tasty with market vegetables, and i'm quite happy to say that its one of the best meals i've had in ages; the taste was spot on. I followed it with the baked blueberry cheesecake and ice cream which was just the right size.
The price was around £23 all in which in my book was very good value and I'll definitely go again, but with a friend now I like it.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was meeting an old friend in Hebden Bridge and he suggested the Old Gate. The ales are suberb and the food was amazing.
We were treated like royalty and had a fabulous time. The service was perfect, attentive but not overbearing.
One thing to note, there were three groups of young Mothers with Babys in the pub at the same time. I asked if I could take their picture as banes aren't allowed in pub in Canada (archaic! I know.) so they agreed with many questions about discriminatory practises in Canada. Good to have families in Pubs!

1  Thank LittleJohn1956