“Totally Satisfying”
Review of The Old Gate

The Old Gate
Ranked #15 of 75 Restaurants in Hebden Bridge
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Gastro Pub & Restaurant, serving dishes ranging from sandwiches & burgers to a la carte dishes and fresh seafood. Modern British/European Cuisine
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I've been disappointed a lot recently when randomly checking out restaurants as I travel around the UK and I really wanted a good Sunday roast today in Hebden Bridge, where I've been staying with a vegetarian. So I looked up the reviews and decided on the Old Gate. It was a beautiful sunny day and I was able to find a table outside, even though I was alone. As long as you don't mind people sharing your table from time to time, and the tables are large enough, it shouldn't be a problem to get a space without a booking. I had the topside of beef which came with mashed and roast potatoes, caramelized carrots, a large Yorskhire pudding, plenty of gravy and a side of steamed baby carrots, runner beans and broccoli. It's the first time I've ever been served almost more than I can eat for a pub lunch! Everything was very good, not fancy just well cooked food from good local ingredients. It could have been a little tastier, more excitingly prepared, with a more interestingly flavoured sauce for example, and would have gotten 5 stars from me if so. Then again, it did exactly what it said on the tin and as such was a very good representation of the standard British Sunday lunch. Very reasonably priced at 9 quid too and a decent selection of local and continental beers on draft and bottled.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

The experience from booking to eating here has been nothing but pleasant. The booking was easy, i paid a deposit as there was 14 of us dining and when we arrived the host was lovely and accomadating throughout the evening. Nothing was to much problem. Everyone raved about the food. The service was excellent with us all being served quickly and at the same time. They were patient when people had not heard their order being called out.

The starters- Some had the king prawns which were a meal in themselves and delicious. Others had the tandorri chicken which was enjoyed as was the calamarri and the pork belly was exquiste.

The Mains- Steaks were cooked to perfection as was the lamb rump. There is a excellent veggi range and the cod loin was well recieved by those who did not eat meat. A couple of people had the venison which was also very good.

We had birthday cake for afters so noone had a sweet.

The drinks are very well priced, the decor of the building is lovely and warm and inviting. Everyone said they would come again, even those who had travelled from Manchester.

The place was very busy for a saturday evening but we never felt we had to work hard to get service.

There is only 2 small points I feel i should make. Some people did not have a starter as they are priced arounf £6-8 and i feel they should be a pound or two less and more people would have them. Also hair nets are not worn in the kitchen and my Grandma was slightly alarmed to see someone with very long hair lean forward so his fringe was almost touching the food.

However we found no problems with the meal at all and already agreed to come back for the next birthday. The bill for 14 people was around £375.00 which included 14 main meals, 10 starters and wine/drinks.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

First time here and cannot fault a thing. Service was superb and the food matched. I can only say good things and we will be back for sure!

1  Thank Wojek H
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The food here is fresh and great value - and large portions so beware! Lovely bar downstairs for just a drink & upstairs very open and spacious for dining.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

After an afternoon of walking in the beautiful surroundings of Hardcastle Craggs, we were hungry and looking for a rewarding meal. We were thinking about fish and chips but unfortunately that was closed. However, we were pleasantly surprised that the old gate was open and was still serving food. Initially because the weather was so good, we lucky to find a table outside, however the outdoor seating area was particularly grubby, with crisp packets, spilt food and copious amounts of cigarette ends and ash. The menus that we were looking at, were also resembled the outdoor seating area, they were also sticky and grubby! just as we were thinking about moving the sun made up our minds for us, as it disappeared behind the building. Inside the restaurant we were pleasantly surprised, it was warm and clean with a friendly atmosphere and a appealing interior. We opted for a table for four, while the children decided on the sumptuous couch option. The food arrived promptly, and it was extremely well presented. I ordered the fish and chips, the fish was huge with a delicious better, really tasty home-made chips when a side order of mushy peas in a mini pan. The tartare sauce was home-made and perfect. My friend enjoyed the home-made burger served on wooden platter and approximately 30 cm high!!, it was stuffed with lots of delicious things that the overall winning factor was a quality and texture of the burger Itself. However my son who is 10 said his burger was too "spicy" and only managed to eat half. My other son chose the pizza and although when I had a taste I thought it was very good, it to was too highly spiced for his liking and resulted in him leaving most of it. The staff were excellent and the service was very good. We look forward to returning again soon and sharing this experience with our friends. One area for improvement would obviously be maintaining the standards of the outdoor area by cleaning and tidying during service, it is a valuable commodity to the restaurant but may have lost our custom if we couldn't have relocated inside. Obviously it is difficult to monitor this busy area but it is essential as it is the first impression your customers get. May consider a less "spiced" pizza/burger option for the kids.