“Made to feel uncomfortable for finding a hair in our food”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Kitties Restaurant

Kitties Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 66 Restaurants in Hebden Bridge
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Made to feel uncomfortable for finding a hair in our food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Firstly this is the first time I have ever written a review for anything let alone a bad review - hence my complete disappointment.

This restaurant is my absolute favourite and we only ever go when it's a special occasion (very expensive).

Myself, my husband, daughter and son in law came to the restaurant on Saturday 9th June 2012. The food is tremendous and it's always a dilemma to choose what to have. We each had a starter which was beautiful. Our main course came - again beautiful. Halfway through the main meal my daughter saw a hair sticking out of her potato rostee, she got it to move it away but it was wrapped inside and she had to pull it out, it was a short wirery hair. She couldn't eat the rest of her main meal. As Helen (the owner) came to take our plates away she asked If everything was ok, my daughter was extremely discreet and explained about the hair, Helen immediately became defensive and said her chef was 'bald' (my daughter has long hair). She was extremely kurt and said all she could do was apologise. We continued with our meal but was made to feel very uncomfortable by Helen. We ordered a further bottle of Chablis and each ordered a desert. Once given the bill we noticed that nothing had been taken off for my daughters main meal (the bill came to £209). My daughter didnt want to make it anymore uncomfortable so we left.

After mulling it over for the weekend I emailed the restaurant stating how disappointed I was that the meal was still on the bill and how uncomfortable we were made to feel. Not even a complementary drink was offered to my daughter.

The reply I received has led me to put this review on here and I'm gutted.

Helen's response was that she was sad that we had left unhappy and that was it. I'm disgusted that in such difficult times this is the response we get. Not even the offer of a complimentary drink the next time we go - nothing. This will be the last time I go to this restaurant and I want Helen to re-evaluate how she deals with customers in the future.

18 Thank Nettiegreeny

Bristol, United Kingdom
“A Special Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Kitties is a small restaurant with an unassuming exterior but you would be wrong to think that it has little to recommend it. On the contrary it is a very special place which offers food of the highest quality with service and attention to detail that is second to none.

Unlike larger restaurant chains they do not do a limited menu that sacrifices quality for cheapness. The food is worthy of a five star hotel and though it may seem a little expensive it provides a gatronomic experience which is rare in most major cities let alone a small town like Hebden Bridge.

If you try it once you will want to go again and again. No doubt it has a loyal following of local diners but to anyone visiting the area I urge you to try it. You will not regret it.

• Visited January 2012
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

Best food I've had in ages and beautifully served. Could not find a single thing that was not spot-on.

Visited July 2011
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
“Special occasion perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

9 family and friends went to celebrate 2 birthdays, I knew at least 6 were vegetarians but in the end only one person ate meat. They have a spectacular vegetarian menu - they just don't advertise it! I have walked past it for many years thinking there was nothing I could eat, until a friend went with another group and raved about the veggie options.
So all you veggies out there - tell them you're coming and they'll meet your needs.
Otherwise I agree with other reviews: food not cheap but worth every penny, service attentive, friendly but not fussy, decor a little dated.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank Alison M
“You get what you pay for”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

We went there for our anniversary, and apart from the slightly dated decor had an excellant time. The food, service and attention to detail were of a very high standard. A great place to go for a special occasion.