“Second class customer”

The Pack Horse Inn
Ranked #35 of 73 Restaurants in Hebden Bridge
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Please note early 2017 The Packhorse Inn is closed Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday due to a family bereavement. We are open Friday Saturday & Sunday and for Bank Holidays, Thank you for your understanding.
Reviewed April 9, 2012

A usefully situated pub just off the Pennine Way but sadly welcomed by a "boots and rucksacks to be left outside" notice. No definition of 'boots' and 'rucksacks'.
Therefore we didn't bother to stop here as our boots were clean and dry and we didn't want to leave valuables unattended outside. What is their difference between a rucksack and a small daysack/knapsack anyway?
I appreciate the potential problems from a) large groups and b) muddy boots
BUT: there was no provision at this pub for us to keep my own socks clean and dry if I had taken my boots off - no "slipper" type footware or even plastic bag style over-shoes available. There wasn't much room in the entrance for 'rucksacks' of any size so good job it wasn't raining.
There are plenty of hostelries along the PW which are more welcoming to muddy boots and dogs. They'll get my business and I now always carry sufficient water to counter such receptions as this.

5  Thank RDBD

Reviewed March 14, 2012

The food, local beers & service were wonderful.

The open fire was as warm as the welcome from the staff.

The food is plain & plentyfull but wonderfully cooked

1  Thank KHC1
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Having just been tpo the Packhorse for Sunday Lunch - I can reccomend both the food an the beer as outstanding. It was also friendly but very ,very busy! The main problem for us as a family was the lack of a hghchair or any way to keep our active 2 yearold grandson out from under the feet of the busy staff. We noticed some others having similar problems. Otherwise great!

Reviewed February 26, 2012

Eaten here a number of times over last few years and the food has been consistently good but the whole pub needs a clean. As for some inexplicable reason you need to pay for your food before in the kitchen you get to see the whole operation. How they have the cheek to ask you to take your walking boots off at the door is beyond me.

4  Thank india_trip2009
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I took a trip up with my partner following a couple of recommendations and certainly wasn't disappointed. We found the food to be superb (the black pudding and bacon starter is a particular triumph) and the portions, as mentioned by others, will test the largest appetite. The setting is about as breathtaking as any pub you'll find and, while not a whisky drinker myself, it must be a whisky lovers paradise.

I've just read the negative comments about the service but we experienced no such problems - if I go to a top restaurant and pay £100 a head then I expect to be treated accordingly; if I go to a pub for a Sunday lunch then I expect the staff to be friendly, polite and welcoming and that's exactly what we found.

All in all a great experience and we can't wait to go back when the sun's out!

1  Thank Andrew B