“FIRST RATE COUNTRY INN/GASTROPUB”

The White Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hebden Bridge
Dover, United Kingdom
“FIRST RATE COUNTRY INN/GASTROPUB”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Very cosy and welcoming hotel in the centre of Hebden Bridge, a town of great character. Very tastefully renovated, good rooms. We stayed in 4, very spacious with triple aspect - at £125 pn, this was good value for money. We then moved to 1 for a night, slightly snaller and cheaper, but very good. Excellent food, with very generous portions. Try the burger, or the steak salad, or the beef pie with Landlord ale. Friendly staff, well-chosen and well-kept traditional bitter.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Beautiful building inside and out. Quite possibly the tastiest vegetarian breakfast I have ever had. Will definately visit again when in Hebden. And thank you to Michael for sorting out the mix up so quickly and efficiently. My rating is based on this and the lovely food as we did not stay although my friends spoke very highly of their accomodation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Having never been to Hebden Bridge before my boyfriend and I stopped in for lunch on our day out having been recommended by a lady in a local shop. We were welcomed by friendly staff and settled in the warm in comfy armchairs to choose our lunch. The menu looked amazing from the starters to the salads to main courses and we took a while deciding over coffee. We both went for the steak and Timothy Taylor ale pie and chips with mushy peas (which I've never eaten as I don't like normal peas!).
When it came it looked amazing and the portions were very generous. The pie had a lovely crust and they didn't scrimp on the meat and the flavour was wonderful. The chips huge and way too many for me so le boyfriend selflessly helped me!

I saw other meals come out which also looked amazing and there was real friendly chat and banter among the locals. It seems a popular place.

Then realising the White Lion had bedrooms too I asked for a peek at one as I was intrigued for future bookings. Beautifully decorated with roll top baths and double showers and a lovely country feel with modern accents, I'd definitely stay the night next time and sample more of that delicious menu!

Well worth a visit and we'll be back possibly to partake in some beauty treatments in their on site salon too!

• Stayed September 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My partner and I have had drinks in here a couple of times before and noticed it is very popular for food so we decided to eat here on Saturday evening and were very impressed. The staff were really friendly and the pub is warm, tastefully decorated and has a lovely atmosphere. The food was amazing and great value for money.
I ordered the smoked salmon lasagna to start and my partner had the mussels; we were both really happy with our choices. I must say that the portions were extremely generous, in fact I had to leave some so as to save room for my main course although I could have eaten it all as it was delicious!
We were not disappointed with our main courses either (continental chicken for me, gammon for my other half); the chicken was moist, the veg really fresh and all the flavours worked. My partner was more than happy with the gammon and loved the huge chips!
If I was to find anything which may be improved upon it would only be that we would have liked a slight gap between the starter and the main course because the main was served pretty much straight after our starter plates were taken away and we would have liked a small break to let the starters settle. We will be back without a doubt and will highly recommend here for food.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The staff is amazing, helpful and friendly. We stayed inside the pub hotel, but it was noisy (to be expected at a pub). If we return, we would try out the cottages adjacent to the hotel. The room was very nicely done, with beautiful decor and an outstanding modern bathroom. I have stayed at five star hotels that didn't have nearly as nice of bathroom facilities. The bed was very comfortable. Unfortunately, our window was right at ground level so we couldn't sleep with the window open for safety reasons. Since there is no ac, a fan would have been much appreciated. From reading other reviews, we are not the only ones who have mentioned it being too hot and I would highly suggest the manger take notice and fix the problem. It's a shame to have such a nice clean room with great furnishings and not provide a simple comfort of a twenty pound fan. Breakfast was ok. There are some fancy and somewhat expensive options for meat eaters (that's included in the price) that I doubt many choice. A package of quorn sausage or bacon is less than 2 pounds and would give vegetarians a better breakfast experience. And we would have really appreciated hashbrowns. Just a basic but well cooked full English is all anyone really want and would be appreciated more. Overall, a pleasant experience and we left happy about our stay.

Room Tip: If they have rooms not facing out onto the street, ask for that. People, traffic passing by add to t...
1 Thank TeressaMiller
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were at a wedding nearby and stayed for two nights in the suite (room 4). It is nicely furnished, clean and has a claw foot bath in the en suite. The staff were welcoming on our arrival and throughout our stay they took the time to engage with us. The pub is great with nice furnishings and an authentic vintage feel about it. So far so good. The downside was that the bed was way too soft and the shower was really poor. In fact if someone was to wring a wet towel above your head, I reckon that you would get wet faster than using this shower. Also, if anyone used the toilet in another room the pipes in room 4 rattle like a freight train running through the room. We would stay tree again but only for a short term.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs and use the bath.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Richardmason
Huddersfield
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had been visiting an alpine plant nursery nearby and when we asked them, the owners suggested that we should try the White Lion for a pub lunch. We parked in lovely Hebden Bridge and found the hotel. The welcome was exceptionally warm and friendly - absolutely confounding some of the comments made here. The real ale was excellent and obviously well kept. We shared a Yorkshire platter - ham, pie, cheese and pickles and enjoyed the beer. Staff were friendly and the impression was of a well-run establishment. We observed staff interact with other guests and it was all very friendly and positive. We discovered Hebden Bride and this very pleasant spot in one day - two great finds, we will return to see more of the town and to eat in the White Horse again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hebden Bridge
The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality
Croft Mill
Croft Mill
#2 of 22 in Hebden Bridge

Been to The White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!