“Warm, friendly, relaxing with Yorkshire portions”

The White Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hebden Bridge
London, United Kingdom
“Warm, friendly, relaxing with Yorkshire portions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

My wife and I got married in Hebden Bridge in March 2013. The wedding was at the registry ofice and we needed a hotel that could accommodate our family and provide a wedding breakfast and accommodation for 3 nights. I used to live near Hebden Bridge but had not been for sometime and stumbled across a review in the Telegraph by Bernard Ingham singing the praises of the White Lion which was under new ownership. We contacted the pub and booked the wedding dates and every room in the hotel. However, a few months prior to the wedding we decided to do a secret reconnaissance visit and organised an overnight stay. Well, we were blown away with what we experienced on that visit. Michael and his fiancee Rebekah were warm and friendly and could not do enough for us and the food was fantastic! The White Lion also serves my all time favourite beer, Timothy Taylors Landlord, an award winning ale from nearby Keighley. Could it get any better? Yes! The rooms are boutique style with roll top free standing baths in some and furnished to the highest order...all this in Hebden Bridge!
When it came to our wedding Michael and his team of staff could not have done more for us. All of our family, ranging from tiny tots to OAPs were catered for. The wedding breakfast was perfect and everything went smoothly and seamlessly. I can highly recommend the White Lion to anyone, whether a rambler after a bit of luxury on the Pennine Way, a couple looking for a cosy weekend away from it all, or a family planning a celebration or a meal.

Room Tip: For families there is a great double room, literally two rooms with a shared bathroom. Room 4 is my...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jonathan46

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

The service was so terrible (rude) that we left without ordering anything. We did not feel welcome in the least. When we waited patiently at the bar to find out whether we should seat ourselves or wait to be seated, we were barked at to go seat ourselves. Wow... how sad.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Kate O
Hayle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

During a visit to Hebden Bridge we fancied a quick sandwich for lunch so popped into the pub as recommended by our sister and brother-in-law who were with us and had enjoyed a previous meal there. The menu was very attractive and covered a wide range of food. We all chose the Yorkshire platter which we considered good value for money and it certainly lived up to our expectations. We had big mugs of latte coffee and my husband had two different types of beer which he said were excellent and he had a good selection to chose from. The bar staff and the waiting staff were very efficient, helpful and obliging. The seating was comfortable and spacious and the atmosphere was very pleasant. Our visit was perfect and we will certainly recommend it to others. We actually live in Cornwall but visit the area often as we are originally from Yorkshire and still visit family and friends there. If the rooms are as good as the pub I'm sure it will be a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: Sorry can't comment on the rooms as we only had a meal in the pub but if the quality is as good...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed here for one night in courtyard room. It was a lovely and very clean room.the breakfast was superb and the staff are very friendly and helpful especially sandra.i would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

I spent the night before my wedding, and our wedding night at the White Lion and am so glad I decided to indulge myself. A large party of us had a meal together the night before, and despite us being a bit tardy and uncoordinated, they coped with us well and served up good food. My room, the bridal suite (room 2), was gorgeous, and huge. Wonderfully decorated (a huge change from my first stay in the White Lion in 2006, pre-refurbishment), with massive shower, roll top bath, dressing area, tv the size of my lounge. It was a nice environment to relax in, and the fact I got little sleep had nothing to do with the room, only pre-wedding nerves!

The next day my bridesmaids and I got ready here, and despite there being up to eight people milling about at any one time (including photographers, family, make up artist..) it didn't feel crowded.

Breakfast was very good, (though for my purposes on the saturday started a little late, as we had to go set up before it started)

I enjoyed the room so much I'd contemplate checking in for a night's relaxation every so often just to enjoy the bath and the bed - even though it is quite expensive for my budget. We live locally, and eat / drink often in the restaurant, as with most places there are good and bad nights, but the good nights are great, and the bad not so bad.

Room Tip: The luxury rooms in the old building are lovely - Room 2 especially nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Went there Saturday for a meal with family members . The Pub was over-warm, maybe this was because we had had a hot sunny day - but it was a little uncomfortable. The staff were all really friendly. There was a varied menu of typical pub food - but print font of the menus was so small that I could not read it. (NB I am far from being old - it was just too small) average price of meals was £10-11. I had fish and chips. The size of the fish was well above standard pub food, but I felt the chips were over- cooked and the fish was over-greasy, which to be honest spoiled the meal. The peas were great. This could have been just a one off. so I would not let it put me off going again. My family had other meals which all looked great and they told me they enjoyed.. so maybe I just prefer non- greasy/ fatty food... Cost for 3 meals and drinks less than £40 so not bad prices - but I think a little high for the quality of the food. NB I would return again because I have eaten there before and I genuinely believe that the standard of my meal was a one-off

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
wrexham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Just spent 3 nights at the White Lion Hebden Bridge with family.It wasnt our first trip to Hebden,but it was our first stay.We chose the Lion after viewing their website and we werent disappointed.One of the reasons was the accomodation was suitable for father in law who has mobility problems.My wife booked over the phone,and having discussed our requirements,it was suggested we book courtyard rooms.This worked out brilliantly,our rooms were well proportioned and the beds were so comfortable,coupled with the lack of any noise ensured we all had a great nights sleep !Another reason for our choice was the fact the Lion does food,and we could be fed and watered after our days sightseeing.
The food was amazing,great choice ,well cooked and presented,however the portions are bordering on American size! Breakfast was more than adequate,and the service delivered by the friendly staff throughout our stay was outstanding. The bar served a great choice of real ales,the wine list was good,the atmosphere very friendly,with a sizeable number of locals eating and drinking each night.Its located right in the town centre,near the shops,it has a car park but its not very big.We had a good look around the town during our stay,and in our opinion the Lion was the best choice in trems of location,amenities and value.
We have no hesitation in recommending the White Lion as an ideal base for a short break in Hebden and we would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: The Courtyard rooms are on the quieter side of the hotel,and there is no noise to disturb your sleep...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 22 in Hebden Bridge
Moyles
Moyles
#5 of 22 in Hebden Bridge

Been to The White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!