The White Lion Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Queen Hotel(Todmorden)
View Hotel
The New Hobbit(Sowerby Bridge)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubroll top bathmy partnermain buildingsteak and ale pieopen firewalk in showersunday dinnerbite to eatgreat atmospherebooked a tableyorkshire puddingroast potatoesgroup of friendsunder new managementcooked to perfectionspacious room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Went there Saturday for a meal with family members . The Pub was over-warm, maybe this was because we had had a hot sunny day - but it was a little uncomfortable. The staff were all really friendly. There was a varied menu of typical pub food - but print font of the menus was so small that I could not read it. (NB I am far from being old - it was just too small) average price of meals was £10-11. I had fish and chips. The size of the fish was well above standard pub food, but I felt the chips were over- cooked and the fish was over-greasy, which to be honest spoiled the meal. The peas were great. This could have been just a one off. so I would not let it put me off going again. My family had other meals which all looked great and they told me they enjoyed.. so maybe I just prefer non- greasy/ fatty food... Cost for 3 meals and drinks less than £40 so not bad prices - but I think a little high for the quality of the food. NB I would return again because I have eaten there before and I genuinely believe that the standard of my meal was a one-off

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Just spent 3 nights at the White Lion Hebden Bridge with family.It wasnt our first trip to Hebden,but it was our first stay.We chose the Lion after viewing their website and we werent disappointed.One of the reasons was the accomodation was suitable for father in law who has mobility problems.My wife booked over the phone,and having discussed our requirements,it was suggested we book courtyard rooms.This worked out brilliantly,our rooms were well proportioned and the beds were so comfortable,coupled with the lack of any noise ensured we all had a great nights sleep !Another reason for our choice was the fact the Lion does food,and we could be fed and watered after our days sightseeing.
The food was amazing,great choice ,well cooked and presented,however the portions are bordering on American size! Breakfast was more than adequate,and the service delivered by the friendly staff throughout our stay was outstanding. The bar served a great choice of real ales,the wine list was good,the atmosphere very friendly,with a sizeable number of locals eating and drinking each night.Its located right in the town centre,near the shops,it has a car park but its not very big.We had a good look around the town during our stay,and in our opinion the Lion was the best choice in trems of location,amenities and value.
We have no hesitation in recommending the White Lion as an ideal base for a short break in Hebden and we would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: The Courtyard rooms are on the quieter side of the hotel,and there is no noise to disturb your sleep !
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank stephen h
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We called in for Sunday lunch. It's a while since I've been inside and I was very impressed by the decor and atmosphere. The menu looked good too. Lots of staff were available so we were served promptly - however, one member of staff spent a while juggling with lemons and doing push-Ups on the bar which didn't give the best impression!

I ordered a beef burger and my boyfriend had the cheese and onion pie. The burger had rather a strange texture and the chips were very dry. The mash served with the cheese and onion pie was lumpy and had a horrible 'skin' around it, like it had been left on the plate for too long before serving. The cheese and onion pie was also poor.

Perhaps we were unlucky in our menu choices as a lady on a nearby table was praising the staff highly re the quality of her food.

My boyfriend hardly touched his plate of food, yet no one thought to ask whether everything had been ok. That's why I've only rated the service as average, the service was fine in other respects.

• Stayed: May 2013
grimesm, Owner at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Helena

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry that the food we presented to yourself was not of the standard you or we expect. It is very frustrating that over the course of the bank holiday weekend we served over 900 meals in three days, and yours is the only review we have received. That's 898 satisfied customers, and 2 un-satisfied!

Either way, I very sorry. My service staff are normally very good at checking on tables, both during and after the serving of meals. All I can do is apologise, but hope you may provide with us with another opportunity in the future by which to redeem this un-usually poor experience.

Kind regards

Michael

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was staying in Hebden Bridge for a wedding and booked the White Lion. The room was in the courtyard and OK. Clean, dated and hot......do those radiators turn off. I couldn't ask reception as no one is around after midnight.

Staff were helpful and breakfast good, but at GBP 95 I expect better.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Alex H
grimesm, Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Madam

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with ourselves. It is very frustrating and disappointing that you have written your review and associated poor scoring of the White Lion, when the problem you encountered is easily rectified. All our radiators are fitted with a thermostatic control on the right hand side, which is easily turned to adjust heat omitted. In the eventuality that this should fail, all radiators are also fitted with a simple on / off valve on the left hand side. As such, the temperature of the radiator is fully and easily adjusted by the guest.

As said, for such a simple problem; it is very frustrating that you have affected our scoring on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed overnight while visiting for a friends celebration in the town. The first thing that struck us was the very friendly and helpful staff who sorted out directions and taxis for us to get about. The room itself was large, recently refurbished with a fantastic bathroom with roll top bath. The bed was very comfortable and everything was to a pretty high standard. We didn't have the chance to have a main meal but did sample the breakfast the next morning. They are clearly trying to be very modern and offer some up market dishes such as eggs benedict or scrambled egg and smoked salmon. Unfortunately the reality didn't quite live up to the billing, good but not great, and in some instances, like the stylish but disfunctional teapot, it was a case of style over substance. A lovely place, they just need to pay a little bit more attention to detail and they would have got an excellent rating from me.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple