“Yummy”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hebden Bridge
Lancashire
“Yummy”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Starters, mains all great. Couldn't fit a pudding in. Great service,food and location. What more could you ask for. Will be visiting here again and staying overnight hopefully.
Wines also excellent.
Hebden bridge is a great night out, very friendly and welcoming in all the pubs.
We got the train which was cheap.
Lots of lovely shops.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just visited with my partner for a very relaxing lunch, service was excellent and the decor gas been done to a very high standard with that cosy feeling, especially in the snug room. My partner had traditional steak & ale pie with chunky chips , it was huge ! Could have fed two ! The food is excellent and I will defiantly be visiting again .

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Called in yesterday afternoon on a cool damp afternoon, lovely cosy room and a pleasant atmosphere. .The food was very tasty, homemade steak pie and beef stew - very generous portions. Next time I will have to make room for a pudding as they looked delicious. Staff were very efficient and pleasant. Will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beverley650
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Called in here around 5pm, after a long day had a dog and was told no dogs after 5pm as they were really busy. However, to cut a long story short and thanks to a very, very friendly manager, who found us a table - we had an outstanding pub meal. The food was locally sourced and cooked to perfection and very reasonably priced. I wish we had a local like this near where we live. Beef Stew and dumplings best ever!!!! Thank you to all at the White Lion.

Room Tip: sorry did not stay at the hotel, But food was excellent.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed at the White Lion for one night and found it a great place to stay. The bar area was friendly and warm with log fire and a very comfortable atmosphere but with nothing either pretentious or overly quaint about it.

I stayed in one of the courtyard rooms, which was excellent. A very large double room which was well kept and spotlessly clean. I found the courtyard itself a really nice surprise. It's set back off the road and away from the hotel a little, which gives an extra sense of privacy and personal space but without making you feeling 'out of things'.

A special word must go to the helpfulness of the staff that I encountered during my visit. I returned home to find I had left my house keys in my room after checking out and, on calling the hotel to inform them of this, they quickly suggested that they would post them to me, free of charge. This was done the next day as promised and it saved me a lot of stress and worry, as well as saving me the expense of paying for postage.

All in all, thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms have a 'stand alone' quality that I really liked. A nice change from a stand...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 16, 2013

wont be going there again,our visit was after a funeral,they knew we were going,on arrival they showed us the room they had reserved for us,our first task was to arrange the tables to make it look like we was all together,then to the bar what service very slow they did not seem as they could cope with a queue,it was so slow the lady serving us looked too old to be behind a bar had not a clue took her ages to pull four drinks.
ordering food was a nightmare same women took that order,i asked for scampi,she replied we do not serve scampi here ? what pub does not have it on there menu.
the food arrived slowly,then she tells me she forgot to order mine,it did finally arrive,gammon well 2inch of fat surrounded it ,realy tough and fatty,my partner had the same the under side was black that too had more fat than gammon.
one ordered steak terrible, sausage and mash under cooked sausage looked horrid.
not many in the party was pleased with there meal,
then we saw the chef , his clothes were in the need of a wash ,whites? more like greys,
no one asked us if every thing was ok ,
the whole of your service was poor,we wont be calling again and wont recommend it to any one a shamble from start to finish, and we had to pay for it,and it was well over priced
disgusting.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank rose h
grimesm, Owner at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Rose. I am very sorry that you thought our service was not up to standard with your after funeral visit, but I am a little confused. The majority of your party actually commented that they had had a very pleasant time, and actually mentioned to my staff to say a specific 'thank you' to Sandie and Anne who looked after you that day. In addition, a £20 tip was very generously left. Hence why I am a little confused for your poor review?

With regard to your visit. We allocated our entire dining room which can seat 30 persons to your party of 16. But you never confirmed numbers or table layout prior to the event. Hence why we had to move the tables ad-hoc. This in addition to several members of your party suggesting that they were not certain if any one else may turn up. This could be the reason why you thought the service was perhaps slow, as we had to wait before being able to take your food order. We did mistakenly omit a meal from your order, for which I can only apologise. But I am confused as to why the majority of your party stated that they had very much enjoyed their visit, enough to leave a generous tip, if the food was as bad as you claimed? To also comment, one of my chef's does own a very clean set of Chef Grey's, as a uniform.

As I say, I am sorry that you did not seem to enjoy your visit. But I believe the problems you encountered we're more a result of a lack of communication with regards to the organisation of your arrangements, rather than fault of our own.

And the lady you suggested was 'too old' to work behind the bar, is certainly not and is a superb member of staff, who tried her very best amidst the confusion generated by your party. Perhaps you may wish to re-consider this comment, as it was quite hurtful to that particular member of my team.

Kind regards

Michael
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed here for two days for work Unfortunately, but would love to come back. delightful town, cafe bars restaurants, country walks, canals, mills and beautiful country side. Warm hospitable staff, roaring log fire and food in huge portions. The room had a huge roll top bath, waterfall shower and triple aspect window. Such a comfortable bed in a huge room.

Room Tip: Room number four
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
#1 of 22 in Hebden Bridge
Moyles
Moyles
#4 of 22 in Hebden Bridge

Been to The White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!