“PERFECT WEDDING DAY COULD HAVE BEEN RUINED THANKS TO DIRTY, CHAOTIC, UNCARING OWNERS AND STAFF”

Gomersal Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Gomersal B&B and Inns
boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

We, as others had viewed Gomersal Hall in Sept last year, attended the wedding fayre in November and were offered a package and promises of improvement to a VERY tired building and grounds. We revisited in the New year and some work was evident in the grounds but NOT in the house.
We expressed our reservations to Charmaine but were assured work was in progress. My daughter and son-in-law had their hearts set on it and trusted Charmaine to deliver.
We had Dutch friends attending the wedding who booked in on the Thursday.
Fortunately we decided to go a day early to spend QUALITY time together!
Before we arrived my daughter had started to speak to friends who had managed to book in - and pay in advance for rooms which were not free - and had been block booked since last Sept. ALARM BELLS.
I went armed with a guest list and their needs. I was greeted in a rude unprofessioal manner by the nephew and wife of the owner.
My Dutch friends have a grown man (42) with autism who lives independantly and has a job- they had been given rm4 a double with a single bed at the foot of the bed!!!! My friends thought we had allocated it to them. When I saw this I acted quickly, stopped them unpacking. There was another wedding party in. I shut the office door with the wife and nephew inside to discuss privately. It got very heated and they started taling in pakistani together. I had to be assertive and told them to speak in English.
Eventually they called Charmaine and we sorted the rooms out - not before nephew had gone into rm 8 with his master key without knocking to find a female guest getting ready for the wedding party!!! I managed to negotiate a swap - they had wanted the family room!!!! Thinking I had all rooms sorted we went straight out to eat (without using the facilities) at THE SAW and did not come back till 10.30pm. We had been invited to a firework display by the other guests. By the time we got in our rooms and realised the DISGUSTING state of the en-suite it was 11.30. We had a creaking bed and 1 pillow each, no soap or shower gel, the floor had not been hoovered and had been used by the previous parties hairdresser and was covered in hair and hairgrips and other debris. I collected all this on a saucer as evidence! I went down to ask for another two pillows - which I did not get - the wife told me laddie had gone off with the master key. I got back upstairs - looked at the toilet and there was faeces all around the bowl and under the seat.I used one of our own towels to boost the pillow. The bed was SO noisy I hardly slept at all. I got up at 6.30 absolutely foul tempered to face my beautiful daughters wedding day that she had worked so hard to prepare for. Everything was hand made by her and her husband. I had to go the church to help her prepare and then back to the marquee to help set the tables and decorate.
Then inside for a stand up row with the wife and nephew. Back out to the marquee - went back to my room to find Mr Hussain in room 5 (The room for my daughter) he had bought an "experienced" cleaner in from Allder House!
I spoke to him and stated that I wanted a new mattress in rm 7 (I did display of the racket the edge of the bed made!!! I then told him that rm 5 had better be spotless for the newly weds or else he would be putting them into another hotel at his expense. I went back out to the marquee, came back in to get ready in room 7 - NOTHING had been done!!!! Getting ready for the wedding we had Mrs H knocking on the door asking if we were going out so the room could be cleaned!!!!! We went out to THE SAW for some lunch by 12.15. Wedding at 3pm - back in to house at 5pm with my MIL for her to use my loo (which I had cleaned myself!!) walked into the room to find all my bedding in a pile in the middle of the bed! Saw red and raked Mrs H back upstairs and read the riot act. Told her she might think she had the power to ruin our day but she was NOT going to and by the time I got back it was all to be sorted or there would be REAL trouble.
My daughter and her husband were kept oblivious and continued to have a great time. By the time we went to bed at 3am they had a new bed - and so did we !!! However ... the grooms Mum had been given room 2 - which the nephew had occupied the night before! I had pointed out to him that the lock didnt work - he implied someone had broken it. Grooms Mum had all her possessions in there while we were in the marquee - unlocked by the front door. I assumed he would sort it out.
3am I used the loo by the front door. Charmaine and John had left - locking the back rooms. The main front doors were wide open, Grooms Mum was asleep in an unlocked room!!! I secured the building as I could not find the nephew anywhere!!! Good job I had stayed sober - only because I was genuinely worried that something was going to happen.
My daughter and SIL's room had had a 60 minute makeover and now had new curtains, bed, lamps and bedding ...and had been dusted and cleaned!!! Decorated by guests and they were oblivious to the days events.
Next morning resulted in more confrontation with Mrs H, Nephew and then daughter was drafted in!! Me and Grooms Mum stood our ground and said we needed to negotiate or we weren't paying anything at all. Suddenly Mr H was on the phone - he tried to be intimidating and when he wouldn't negotiate Isaid we were leaving - he threatened to call the police - which he can't do. Poor service = no payment - simple. We left the building - after his wife and daughter said it would teach him a lesson!!! As we were drawing away his daughter came out to say he was on his way - my answer was that he had missed his opportunity! We went to THE SAW for lunch!!!! Am now looking at calling the EHO and fire officers so check before you travel !! GOOD LUCK! Photos available

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
12 Thank jane c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Liversedge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

We booked this hotel and marquee for our wedding on the 1st sept. John and Charmaine couldn't have been more helpful to us throughout. John kept us informed of the proceedings and what would be happening next. . The previous reviews about his uniform just show the reviewer up as ignorant or having a lack of education, as the uniform is the toastmasters uniform which is used the whole world over.So needless to say she wouldn't have been happy even at the Ritz in London. The food was beautiful with no complaints from anyone. It was beautiful weather and the marquee was used for my ceremony and a drinks reception outside. The toilets are in a specialist cabin and put some hotel toilets to shame. Nothing was too much trouble for John and Charmaine on the day, and a lot of the bad reviews are down to the owners of the hotel which is a seperate business. The hotel was a different story. The owner really needs to get proper staff in if he wants it to grow into a viable business. It is a beautiful building but is just being left to go to pot with the useless member of staff who is employed there. No one expects to be hassled at 11pm the night before your wedding demanding payment when you have booked in for two nights, then over charged . This then had to be put right by John and Charmaine when they found out. I understand the member of staff is a relative of the owner, but in this instance neputism isn't working. John and Charmaine are taking the flack from all sides due to the usless way the hotel is been run via the owner. If money was invested it could be a little gold mine due to people been eager to book in when they are at a wedding there. As it happens the cook walked out on my wedding morning because the aforesaid member of staff wouldn't get out of bed to help check and clean the rooms etc for the rest of my guests who were arriving at lunchtime. We were walking round the ghost hotel looking for staff for breakfast, while once again the aforesaid member of staff had taken himself back to bed after the cook walked out!!!! How the owner manages to run another hotel with success defies logic because he's letting this hotel down badly. As the saying goes; if you pay peanuts.......... I am a local person and I am arranging a meeting with the owner to have my questions answered, and as to why no thought was put into my wedding morning so that it went without any hitches.!!!!!
We would recommend the Marquee wedding venue to anyone without hesitation, but I feel sorry for John and Charmaine with what they have to put up with via the hotel!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Angela B

Travelers are raving about these Gomersal hotels

Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

Stayed here for a wedding recently. So after reading all the previous reviews I decided to keep an open mind and hopefully this review is a fair one.

The hotel is in some really nice grounds that many hotels would die to have. They were well kept and really set the scene well for a wedding in the sun.

The marquee in the grounds is simply fantastic. It was a good price and we were quoted double and treble for other marquees the same and smaller.

The toilets for wedding guests are in a portacabin outside which to be fair were probably the cleanest and nicest portacabin toilets I've seen.

John and Charmaine who look after the weddings, marquees and events were really good on the day. They were happy to deal with any issues and genuinely seem to care about providing a special day.

The catering was provided by an external company that the hotel source and I have to say the food was fantastic. There was a good selection and all of it tasted really good.

That said the evening buffet wasn't quite as good and it appeared that some if the sandwhiches left over from the day buffet we re-used. Not End of the world but just something I noticed.

As the day progressed our djs got set-up and we then told to turn the music down due to the fact neighbours complain about this noise. Now it was set to a level that certainly wasn't excessive and we reluctantly agreed to lower it down to a level that while not quiet it really didnt help to get everyone in the mood. This was the only bad thing I can say about the day in the marquee. It really does need to be resolved otherwise it could quite simply kill future events happening there.

However we all had a laugh when despite being forced to turn the music down we felt it ironic when we lit our ten minute firework display.

Overall I would score the wedding/venue/management 8/10. It would get more if only you can actually play music on ur disco at the usual level you expect.

Now this brings me on to the hotel. The day to day running of the hotel is looked after by someone else. Which is such a shame. Firstly the bride was moved rooms into an older and ground floor room than was previously agreed. Another couple in there room had a batman duvet on the bed! And another couple who requested a family room were not given one and were expected to share a double bed with their kids - though they did eventually sort this.

The hotel manager knocked on the brides door at 10:30pm the night before the wedding and demanded payment in advance for the rooms and was also overcharged.

Our room while ok was dusty, the carpets were stained but the sheets were clean at least.

Randomly the day after the wedding a hotel emplyee knocked on our door At about 8:30 and entered and thought our room was empty. I mean how hard can it be to see if someone has checked out or not first.

Also for some reason they kept the radio on in the ground floor on all night. The bride couldn't find anyone to switch it off so we disconnected the speaker.

Due to the problems with payment and that they wanted payment in advance I agree to settle when I checked out and via sharmaine and John. This was handled without any problems.

So the hotel I'd rate 3/10.

This place really does have massive potential but the current owners of the hotel either need to sell it or seriously invest in the hotel, fixtures and fittings and a new manager to have any serious go at making it work.

That said Sharmaine and John were excellent looking after everyone at the wedding and the marquee is a great place to have a wedding. I wouldn't stay in the hotel again but I would actually recommend the marquee to anyone looking for a nice wedding venue I'd just recommend to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011
5 Thank tfeb
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

I (unfortunately) chose this hell hole as my wedding venue (end of July).
The hotel was still dirty - rooms hadn't been cleaned, toilets filthy. The marquee was clean, but I was mortified when I realised that people had had to use dirty toilets and ask staff to provide toilet paper!
The food was good, probably the only saving grace of the day. Charmaine had been wonderful up until the day itself, then seemed to disappear from sight, and whenever she was present - was quite useless, didn't solve any of the problems I notified her about and didn't do anything about any of my complaints. The toastmaster John, looked like something out of a circus in his red suit (if only I'd known that was what he was going to wear on the day!!), and bumbled around doing absolutely nothing useful.
Everything was disorganised, despite my careful planning and all the time I spent talking to John about it. He hadn't a clue what he was doing, it was embarassing.
I wish I had never clapped eyes on this venue. I put my trust in Charmaine and John to make sure everything went smoothly, and now I feel completely cheated, I will never be able to get back my perfect day. Beware of the double act, they give a good impression and make you feel like you're in good hands - but they're both full of hot air and will let you down when it comes to the crunch.

Room Tip: If you're thinking of having your wedding here, get your head examined and book somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank Lou83L
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

Greeted by the very cheerful Imran who wanted his money up front. Wise Imran. There was no checking in or anything resembling a procedure. The room had Brit Art on the wall - a large coffee had obviously been thrown at it. Did the Chapmans do this I wondered. Imran didn't have a key to our room because someone had 'nicked it' so would we mind using the master key? Room 9 or was it 101? Grubby furniture, no handles on drawers, suspicious stains on the cistern, one plug,leaking shower, swirly dirty carpet... and then for no reason whatsoever THE CURTAINS FELL DOWN. Adjourned to the lounge whereupon we were served with the blackest thickest tea I have ever had the misfortune to taste. It would coat Sheffield steel. A very chirpy waitress concurred and offered to top it up with water. Fast forward to the morning when the fire alarm went off - we never discovered why. We packed our bags and hurried downstairs to be greeted once more by smiley Imran. Would we like breakfast? Yes - at the Holiday Inn up the road Imran....Excellent comedy value tho'.

Room Tip: When staying at 'The Lodge' book your room at the Marriott in Leeds.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank chrissie_stone
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed 2 nights at this B&B that's all you can call it .We were greeted by an very enthusiastic one and only member of staff called Imran, he is really and truly a BOY FRIDAY he does everything from booking you in to carrying your suitcases to the room cooking and serving breakfast and take your payment.
The cooked breakfast was ok as long as you like deep-fried sausages.
All in all it was an experience not to be repeated although Imran deserves a lot of praise for looking after us .

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank werner47
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

I only came across Gomersal Lodge by accident whilst looking for my wedding venue. I first came up on it at a wedding fayre held in November 2010. I knew right then it was the place I wanted my wedding. The wedding fayre was beautiful, in the marquee. We booked our wedding here without hesitation. The only downside is that the is no licence for a wedding in marquee- Which is no fault of Charmaine or Gomersal Lodge, as this is not something you can get a wedding licence for. The months upto the wedding Charmaine was fantastic helping us to organise everything, all the tiny details which I was worried about, my mind was put at ease. We were taken to the location of the chefs kitchen to try food. Which was wonderful to see, everything there was so professional.

Charmaine and John (toast master) were there to help my husband, and dad with speeches,and provide fantastic advice on what to and what to not to do. This was great as my husband was very nervous.

Arriving at Gomersal Lodge on my wedding day (4/6/11) John was there to greet me and my husband out of limo. Everything from order of photos, recieving line, and reception drinks to speeches, food and first dance were all managed fantastically. The food was beatutiful. We had goats cheese tart to start, chicken dinner for main, and cheese cake desert. And at the evening we had the Hog roast. All of the food was perfect.

We stayed at the hotel on the wedding night, which was lovely. And the breakfasts were made to order- Perfect.

I couldnt have imagined my day been any better, and cant thank Charmaine and John and the rest of the staff enough.

Oh and we were very lucky for the weather :D

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Stephwi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gomersal
Gomersal Park Hotel
Healds Hall Hotel
Healds Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Liversedge
Premier Inn Leeds South (Birstall) Hotel

Been to Gomersal Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!