“Great standard”

Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Brighouse
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night Saturday 16 November as we were visiting friends who live locally. Having stayed in a few Holiday Inns, this one is lovely and of a really high standard overall. Check in was really quick. There's a good size indoor pool as well as a full gym. Room was a really good size and had a lovely view (room 244). Bathroom was clean and spacious and there were complimentary toiletries, bottled water, chocolate and tea/coffee etc. Beds were really comfy and there were big wooden shutters to pull across the windows which meant it was very quiet and room became completely dark at night. We slept really well and reception was still open when we came back to our room at about 3am. Didn't have breakfast so can't comment but my other half did order a burger and fries from room service our first day. Yeah it was a bit pricey and took a while but there was a wedding going on so they were really busy. I expect room service prices to be high and the standard of the food was very good. I really liked it here and would definitely stay again.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
HI-LeedsBrighouse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear suzHartlepool,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay. I am delighted that you had a comfortable stay with us and your partner enjoyed food from our new menu.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future,

Louise Dodd, General Manager

Reviewed November 17, 2013

As Platinum members we had hoped for a room upgrade. Fair enough, no higher status rooms were available. But I do expect at least the bottle of water and the fruit on confection to be put into the room instead. It should be part of the benefits policy.

The second gripe is more serious. A 256K free internet connection is a derisory benefit to a Platinum member. It should be at least 1 meg for a Platinum member.

The third gripe is the ridiculous front door. The inside door is automatic but the outside door has to be manually opened. There we are, up to our armpits in bags which we have to put down, open the door and pick up again (while the door tries to close in our faces.

The fourth gripe is about the TV. Freeview has many many channels. The TV in our room did not. Some IHG "brainio" had decided that every channel had to be set to the HD option. So when it came to the local news and traffic/weather slot, the screen went to interlude. Absolutely ridiculous.

Other than the above, it was fine. Staff were attentive, food was good and the room was comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Suspishio,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us following your stay at the Hotel. I was disappointed to see that you had not enjoyed your stay with us on this occasion due to a number of areas that you did not feel were the appropriate standard for the Hotel.

As a valued Platinum member of IHG Rewards I do understand your frustration that we were not able to upgrade you on this occasion. Should you have reason to visit the Hotel again in the future I would be more than happy to ensure this is done if we are unable to upgrade you, please contact me at the Hotel with your details in order that I can update your profile.

I am sorry that you found the Wi-fi unsatisfactory and will ensure that your comments are passed on to our procurement team when next negotiating the contract with the suppliers.

As the local television stations do not currently broadcast in HD we do have the regular BBC/ITV channels available which can be found on the television guide. In order that future guests do not experience the same problem we will be displaying a note to this effect by the television.

I am sorry that you found the front door difficult to use due to the amount of luggage that you had with you. Due to local planning regulations when the Hotel was built we were not allowed to use automated doors on the outer entrance, we do however try to assist people when we can and I am sorry that this did not happen on this occasion. If you visit the hotel again in the future please do feel free to call in advance and we will ensure that there is a member of the team available to help you. I am sure that if we undergo refurbishment in the future the replacement of the doors will be considered again.

Thank you again for taking the time to note your comments, please do contact me via the Hotel if you would like to discuss any further,

Yours sincerely
Louise Dodd, General Manager

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed here for one night and found the room (gf) very good and quiet. However, the food was poor and the cooked breakfast (taken at the start of breakfast time) was tough as though the chef had cooked it hours earlier and kept it warm. Not what we expect from Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
HI-LeedsBrighouse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear meltonpieman,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following staying with us here at the Hotel.

I am delighted that you were happy with the room that you received for your stay but am disappointed that you did not enjoy the full 'Holiday Inn' Experience.

I am very grateful for your constructive feedback with regards to the quality of breakfast that you received. I have forwarded your comments to our Executive Head Chef, who will be addressing the issues with the team members responsible. I do apologise that on this occasion you did not experience our usual levels of high service and standards and hope that you will visit us again in the future to see the improvements that our guest's constructive feedback enables us to make.

Yours Sincerely

Louise Dodd

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Staying for one night to catch up with family in the area it was ideally located - close to the M62 and near enough for our family to come visit us at the hotel for a few drinks in the evening. It was nice to find that most of the staff appeared to be from the local area - and in deed they were all as friendly and helpful as they could be. Our room - an executive double on the ground floor was all that you would expect of what is essentially a hotel for travelling business people and conference/training venue. Room was clean as was the bathroom (heated towel rail didn't heat), bed was comfy and the "complimentary" stuff was all fine. Where it fell down for us was some of the service in the bar and the quality of the food on that weekend. I don't blame the young people serving at the bar - I blame their inadequate training. I'll start with the bar. Drinks I think were very expensive. Despite the bar menu advertising Smirnoff vodka there was none and they apologised that they had run out of Smirnoff - the substitute cheaper vodka tasted - cheap. My tipple of choice is champagne so we ordered a bottle of Piper at £38 which turned out to be good value as, glass for glass it worked out cheaper compared to other drinks and lasted me the whole evening. However when we ordered it the new barman didn't know what it was. His colleague of more experience went off to find it and said he would bring it to our table. He did - but it was warm and placed on our table with the glass as if it was a bottle of red. We had to ask for an ice bucket. The young man willingly obliged. After our mediocre meal we asked for French Coffee. Here follows a conversation that had me giggling all evening: "Can we have a French Coffee please?" "We don't do that - what is it?" "Ok put a measure of brandy, a little sugar and coffee in the cup and then top it off with the cream" "Oh right I think we can do that". The restaurant has the appearance of a canteen - obviously geared to meet the needs of coach tours, conference/training clientele. The menu looked varied and interesting, but because we had had a large lunch we opted for the carvery and that was a mistake. The meat was tough, the veg cold and it all looked a bit lacklustre. The homemade stuffing was the highlight of the meal. The cold starter buffet also lacked a decent choice and looked tired. Breakfast the following morning was the same. We gave up on the fried eggs as the chef seemed to have some trouble getting the fryer hot enough. It was all a bit mediocre. However we did have a lovely evening with our family and the bar lounge was ideal for a large group getting together for a few drinks and a catch up and the staff were warm and friendly - so on balance we would stay there again because overall it was comfortable and as accommodating as it could be. Maybe we just chose an off weekend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
HI-LeedsBrighouse, PA to General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear reddragonlady,

Thank you for the review of your Hotel following your stay.

I greatly appreciate the constructive feedback that you have provided. The feedback for our staff friendliness and guest room cleanliness is always lovely to receive.

I do apologise for the quality of the food on the carvery. Your review has been shared with our Executive Head chef who will be putting actions into place to ensure the food is cooked properly and served to our usual high standard in the future.

Thank you for your comment regarding the fried eggs at breakfast, unfortunately we did have the Hot plate break on this morning which I understand caused a delay as the eggs had to be cooked from the kitchen and transported through to the restaurant. This issue was reported to our Maintenance Manager and the equipment is back in full working order.

I have also shared your review with our Food and Beverage Manager who has identified the Bar member in question and have put together a training plan to ensure that we is aware of our products and how to serve them. While there may be on occasion drinks that they have not heard of before, we would always be happy to find out the ingredients and methods for making them and provide these beverages where possible.

I am disappointed that you did not receive a consistent high level of service and standards on this occasion and hope that you may chose to stay with us again when you are next visiting your family in this area.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed October 24, 2013

This is a great hotel. The staff are really friendly and welcoming. The rooms are spacious and always very clean. Food wise they do a meal deal, two courses and two drinks for £20....value indeed as the food is good, I particularly recommend the steak and kidney pie. The hotel has a great gym and swimming pool. Tend to stay here whenever in the area....it is consistently a pleasure to stay here.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear JonnersB,

Thank you for the great review of Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse. Looking forward to welcoming you again in the future, especially as we have a new menu with lots more tasty dishes for you to try.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Great hotel. The location near the motorway network is great for travellers visiting West Yorkshire. The food is good and the staff are friendly. Can't ask for more and couldn't fault the place, 5 stars and worthy of it.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
HI-LeedsBrighouse, PA to General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Martin C,

Thank you for the 5 star Review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back when you next have business within the area.

Kind Regards

PA to General Manager

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Opted for this hotel due to location, just off M62 and ideal for next mornings meeting close by in Huddersfield.

Reception cheery and chirpy, but felt after I checked in and got my key that was it, no dinner times, or breakfast times, no directions to room, nothing about health suite.

Room was on 1st floor, clean and well appointed, good facilities, everything in room worked, no dead power sockets and the normal complicated hotel TV. However as it appears rooms had been modernied the bathroom had a singing shower and was rather shabby in parts. On way to bedroom a function hadn't been tidied away, this was at 7pm, it still hadn't been tidied away at 11pm.

I opted for DBB package and at £97.50 was the best business options, as with check in, once your bum hit seat there was no menu explanation of what was and what wasn't included in the DBB package, maybe better if the hotel has a table d'hote menu for DBB package guests. I had tomato soup and it was not out a tin - tasty and lots of it, however the fish and chips (Sustainably sourced hake fillet in crispy golden batter with chunky chips) left a lot to be desired - clearly not freshly caught, batter soggy and fell off fillet and when it did exposed a grey pre formed fish fillet. You guys can do better than this.

Breakfast was like in a different restaurant, congratulations for a delicious breakfast, wow crispy bacon - too many places serve scraggy end fatty bacon, 10/10 here and if you could replicate this to dinner you would have a fab restaurant.

Whether or not it is new IHG program, I find it disappointing that a hotel doesn't furnish its rooms with a bottle of water or a biscuit, you are kind enough to leave a hospitality tray, this would be the difference between being remembered or not.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Scottex,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay here at Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay, but am disappointed that there were issues which resulted in it not being the perfect 'Holiday Inn Experience'.

I have communicated the details of your Check In Experience to our Reception Supervisor, while I am happy that you were welcomed into the Hotel in a friendly personable manner, I do apologise that you were not given details of the facilities we offer and their locations or opening times which are a vital part of orientating yourself through your stay.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your Fish and Chips, I have passed your comments to our Executive Head Chef, who will be investigating where improvements can be made to make this a better quality dining option. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast, setting you up ready for your business day ahead.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel to show you that on this occasion you didn't experience our usual high standards in all areas.

Yours Sincerely,

PA to General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighouse
The Waterfront Hotel
Cedar Court Hotel Huddersfield/Halifax
The New Hobbit
The New Hobbit
#1 of 1 in Sowerby Bridge

Been to Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse? Share your experiences!