“It's All In The Detail”

Ranked #1 of 5 Brighouse B&B and Inns
Keswick, United Kingdom
“It's All In The Detail”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

With fine food, excellent service and great location what else could you say? The attention to detail is what makes the difference, little added value items on the table and the way food is presented can show how much the management respect their customers. This is how it should be done, thanks for a really good experience. We paid slightly more than normal but it was worth every penny.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My boyfriend (now Fiance) had booked us in to the Black Horse Inn (since we had our first date here 3 years ago) as a surprise where he proposed later that evening after dinner by the log fire in the bar. We stayed in an upstairs room called the Gold Room. Lovely and cosy, comfy bed, decent size room and bathroom. My only suggestion is the need for a full length mirror in the room.

We had not booked a table for dinner but the staff kindly agreed to squeeze us in even though they were fully booked. We enjoyed some delicious food and one of the nicest soups I have ever had.

After the meal, the group in the restaurant were quite rowdy and some of the other guests were also getting agitated by this, so we moved back to the bar next to the log fire which was quiet where we had champagne cocktails. Obviously being over the moon, I was showing everyone I met my ring and I think the staff became quite bored of this!! When we checked out the following morning I told the lady at reception that he proposed and she said "yes, so I heard".....anyway that's no big deal at all but just wish they had done something or made a gesture so I could say that I was more than happy with everything about the Black Horse Inn, unfortunately just something was missing for me in terms of the service because this is a place I will remember forever.

Breakfast was of average standard, small portion and I had to go into the kitchen to find a waitress to get some brown sauce.

There is no doubt we will return to the Black Horse Inn for anniversaries in the years to come to enjoy their wonderful food and the gold room, I just wish I felt that I couldn't wait to return!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kay009
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Location is just off motorway so easy to get to but not in a particularly pretty village, however who needs to go out with the excellent food and service they provide! The staff couldn't do enough, food was Devine (and I never gush about food), room was beautiful and bed probably the best I've ever slept in. We were offered Buck's Fizz with breakfast! Lovely courtyard which I just need to revisit in the sunshine to enjoy a lovely cold glass of delicious wine from their extensive list! Go, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank 443NikkiW
LydiaRussell, Manager at The Black Horse Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your very kind comments. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay as much as you did. We do try and order sunny days so our guests can enjoy the courtyard but we don't always get them. I do hope we see you back very soon to enjoy a drink in the courtyard.
Thanks again.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed at the black horse last Wednesday on our way to a short break on a barge!! The hotel was really friendly the food and service were top class and we were able to take our small dog with us . it was a good stay and we would stay again. The only downside was that the room although very nice was very small as was the shower room. I think the rooms in the main building were bigger so try to avoid the courtyard.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you fro your kind review. As I am sure you can appreciate with the buildings being 17th century cottages all the rooms are different shapes and sizes, so some bathrooms are smaller than others. I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We suggested this venue for dinner with close family friends having described our earlier experiences. We were not disappointed as the evening lived up to our billing. Even though we chose the early menu,the quality of the food,the excellent friendly and efficient service was well up to the standard we have come to expect.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank andy g
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed yourselves, and the early bird menu was to your liking. Look forward to seeing you soon.
Sussex, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed here for one night recently, it was suggested to us by friends who live in the area but who haven't actually stayed there. Our room was warm and comfortable but the bathroom was about as small as it is possible to be, larger guests may have had trouble in there. The bath wasn't draining properly meaning that while having a shower you were standing in scummy water which left the surface very slippery. We only had breakfast there, which was adequate rather than inspired.
Overall we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: The rooms are across a courtyard from the main building. I imagine this could get very busy in the s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rosemary03
Thank you for your comments.
I apologize that you found the bathroom too small, and that the bath wasn't draining properly. Had we been made aware of the drainage issue we would of sorted this out as soon as possible.

I am glad overall you did enjoy your stay, and thanks once again for your comments.
Ardingly, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The food and atmosphere here were excellent. Service exceptional also. We all had different starters, mains and desserts all of which were beautifully presented and were absolutely delicious. We have dined at Le Manoir, The Fat Duck and many other fine restaurants and the Black Horse rates right up there with them, except at a fraction of the price. We cannot wait until our next visit. Congratulations to the Chef!3

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sheridan M
LydiaRussell, Manager at The Black Horse Inn, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Lovely to talk to you on Sunday. Richard (the head chef) thanks you for your very kind comments about the food!!
I am really glad you enjoyed the meal so much and the service was to your liking. Look forward to you coming back and dining with us in the future. Thanks again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighouse
The Waterfront Hotel
Cambridge Hotel
#4 of 17 in Huddersfield
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield
Cedar Court Hotel Huddersfield/Halifax

Been to The Black Horse Inn? Share your experiences!