“Great Evening and overnight stay”

The Black Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Brighouse B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We (three couples) booked in for evening meal, bed and breakfast at £120.00 per couple on saturday 23rd Feb 2013. All six of us thought the food was superb and the service equally as good. Really good nights sleep in a comfortable bed then a lovely breakfast on Sunday morning. Saturday night was very busy with a wedding taking place and the atmosphere was really good. We will be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NickWoodward
LydiaRussell, Manager at The Black Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a lovely review.

I am pleased you and your party enjoyed your stay. Your comments on the food and service are very much appreciated.

Look forward to seeing you again soon hopefully.

There are newer reviews for The Black Horse Inn

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Black Horse brings back the "early bird" menu - £13 for 2 courses, £17 for 3 courses (supplement for cheese). I think that is excellent value, particularly given the quality of the food concerned.

My husband and I both had the braised pork with black pudding to start. This was a generous piece of pork with 2 pieces of black pudding done like Scotch eggs. Tiny pieces of crackling garnished the plate, along with halved quail eggs and other garnish. You can't fault the Horse for presentation, quality or flavour.

The main course of braised ox cheek was equally superb. The meat flaked away under the fork and was full of flavour. The accompaniments of mashed potato, spinach, onions and beetroot were well suited to the meat.

Portions at the Horse don't look huge. But as I've commented before, they are filling. My husband and our respective families eat here on a fairly regular basis and none of us ever have room for a pudding.

I think the Black Horse represents excellent value in a cosy, family run setting. The food and service are of consistently high quality.

I'd also like to briefly comment on some recent negative reviews. Personally, I am very sceptical about negative reviews from people who review infrequently.

Also, I find it hard to believe that one reviewer critisises the restaurant for being disturbed by a table of people evidently on business. That is hardly the restaurant's fault. Ask to be moved. There are two dining rooms here, plus two bar areas.

Expensive? Personally, I would say "average" at approximately £7 for a starter and £17 for a main. Side orders are rarely needed. I have certainly paid more for less.

I am one of a number of local people who eat and socialise here on a regular basis. I have never had cause to complain about the food (quality or quantity), ambience or service. I applaud the owners for employing younger staff who are in the process of learning the trade. The owners are regularly on the premises overseeing the business. I held my wedding reception here, have been a guest at many other social events and have held business meetings here. Not one person I know has had a negative thing to say.

Certainly, on Wednesday 23 January, the Black Horse was very busy with a mix of locals, hotel guests and other diners. The atmosphere was friendly and welcoming. Everyone seemed to be having a good time. At one point, there was just one chap on the bar pulling pints like they were going out of fashion (and I wasn't on a bender!). That was rectified in the space of a few minutes.
This is a good place run by good people. I am proud to call it my local.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write another lovely review. Your kind words are very much appreciated!!
Glad you like the new fixed price menu.

See you both soon I am sure.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

My wife and i had our wedding here early Oct'12 ,,,, absolutley FANTASTIC!!!
We chose it as a venue some 19 months prior. We knew the moment we walked in the door!! 1st impresions really do count; It was intimate , cosy, with loads of character, plenty of equally cosy , quality accomadation, a great outdoor courtyard adorned with flowers,,,, the list is endless but the other striking factor was , the warm, friendly, inviting, curtious and professional approach of the management and their staff alike.
I'm a perfectionist and believe in the "right tools for the job"(in this case 'right venue'). Meticulous planning and preparation are a must too, and my wedding would need the highest standards in both!!!
After our initial visit we left full of confidence that The Black Horse inn, a family run business would deliver...... And deliver it (they) did!!!!
Throughout the whole time we were treated as valued customers, and nothing was too much to ask.
On the day the venue was immaculate, food was gorgeous, every detail was as expected and more,, to which end our day was perfect, and our guests many who having travelled from all over europe to be with us ALL complimented us on our choice of venue.
The Black Horse inn is a 'proud' family run business, with that personal touch run by and staffed by people who care about the business but more importantly their customers!! Superb inn, food, drinks accomadation, staff and customer service. Thanks, Bob & Barbara.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rpaukabf

Bob ad Barbara

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I really am glad you enjoyed your day as much as you did! It was a pleasure organise, run and be a part of.

Hope to see you both soon!

Best wishes

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Booked for Xmas day @ £70 per head (there was 6 of us) and all I can say is it was a let down!!! We booked for 3:30pm, and firstly the service was very slow,when we did eventually get seated we had long waits between courses,the table next to us sat down 20mins after us and were on the main course at the same time as us. The starter for the fish dish was so hot with a chiili sauce it was left,The main course was nothing special,sprouts like bullets and carrots too,I ordered a roast beef dinner which came with no Yorkshire puddings,it was just under cooked beef,carrots,shallots,roast potatoes which were dry and hard and a bit of gravy,then we asked for some apple sauce for another of the dishes,to which we got told we don't have any!!!!! As some we were finishing our courses they were clearing the table while we ate!! We paid a lot money and drinks on top and it was a major let down and didn't amount to a decent Sunday lunch.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Sarah H

Hi Sarah

In response to your review I am genuinely very sorry you feel that we let you down on Christmas day. If you had brought some of the issues to our attention whilst you were dining with us we could have possibly rectified the problems.
With regards to the wait to sit down I am very sorry, but in reference to the wait between courses we dont like to make anyone feel like they are being rushed through a meal, especially on such an important day.
In your review you refer to a fish starter being so hot with chilli sauce. I am not really sure which of the starters you are refering to as neither of the two fish starters on the menu were served with chilli sauce. The prawn and crayfish cocktail was served with marie rose sauce and the mackeral pate was with horseradish.
I am sorry you were disappointed that you didn't get a yorkshire pudding with your roast sirloin of beef, all the dishes come as they are described on the menu and yorkshire puddings were not mentioned in the description.
I am not sure which dish you asked for apple sauce to go with but as we didn't have pork on the menu on Christmas day, the chefs wouldn't have had any made in the kitchen.
We served 189 guests for lunch on Christmas day and this is the only complaint we recieved. Once again I apologise that you weren't happy with the service we provided. We always ask during and after every course if everything is okay for everybody. Perhaps if you had raised these issues then we could have rectified some of the problems.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I were looking forward to dining here for our wedding anniversary. We were disappointed by the whole experience and will not be returning. The tables in the dining room were very close together and the people on the next table were talking business very loudly with no concern for anyone around (it was a Wednesday evening). The choice of food was very limited and the quality when it arrived was disappointing. The price of food and drink was vastly overpriced and the staff were not very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank barbaram188
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were delighted to find that meeting friends to dine where we were staying was a great success. Dinner and breakfasts were excellent, the room was lovely, and we had easy access for taking our dog in and out. It made a very enjoyable return to home territory.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Have copied a review below which to those of you who think this maybe lazy all I would say is that as a regular Trip Advisor reader I think it important that previous reviews are supported. My personal evidence? £6 for a starter of 3 pieces of beetroot and 3 goosberries, £16 for a sole main course as big as a fish finger and finally £5.50 for 2 scoops of ice cream with toffee sauce.

Copied review:
This is a nice country pub trying very hard to be something it will never be. The food and drink is alarmingly overpriced and pretencious. We were served by a man who thought by explaining the ingredients of every course qualified him in some way to be a celebrity, we had a nice table in a half empty restaurant which on a Friday night tells a story in itself. We then proceeded down to the bar for after dinner drinks and there were 2 people in the whole place apart from us. I have one piece of advise for the owners, stop pretending and start serving good food at good prices and you may be able to stay open, I have spoken to many people since visiting this place who used to be regulars but say they have priced themselves out so they go elsewhere! Shame.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Maria B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighouse
Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse
#1 of 1 in Gomersal
Healds Hall Hotel
Healds Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Liversedge

Been to The Black Horse Inn? Share your experiences!