“great experience”

The Black Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Brighouse B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 1, 2012

we found this restaurant with rooms of the highest standard, great staff great food, great room
nice setting top notch, the food is the best we have experienced in a long timem we will go to this hotel again Mike E

Room Tip: check with the staff on which room would suit you some in the hotel some in the buildingh opposite...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 26, 2012

A 2-night stay of rugby players from Leeds Uni in the 60's,and their ladies, was unanimously described as a great success,attributed to the location but more importantly to the outstanding service provided by the friendly,helpful and thoroughly efficient staff at all levels. Nothing was too much trouble and augmented the high standard of the breakfasts and especially our celebratory dinner which was exceptionally high quality. With people travelling from New Zealand,Zambia and far flung parts of the UK,the party looked for a welcoming environment. They were not disappointed Many thanks.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank andy g
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Popped in mid week as I'd had a killer of a few days at work and needed a treat. Got a table in the restaurant, no worries.

The menu has changed (as has the chef) but there are still some "old favourites" on there. Husband had the scallops with duck spring rolls, that he raved about. I went for the ham terrine which was excellent. Husband then had steak which looked very good. I opted for the famed steak and ale pie which was lovely.

All mains come with enough veg not to need side orders.

Didn't bother with dessert as we were enjoying our wine.

Portion sizes never look big at the Black Horse, but I can never manage a dessert. Maybe the plates are a bit like Hermione Grainger's bag in the Deathly Hallows?!

Another nice evening and we thank our lucky stars yet again that this is our local.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Me and my husband had our wedding at the Black Horse on Friday the 31st of August, everything was just prefect, I could not have asked for anymore. The venue was fantastic, so pretty with so much charm. The courtyard was beautiful, lots of pretty bright flowers, making our wedding photos look great! The food was outstanding, both for our wedding breakfast and the evening buffet. The service was excellent and nothing was too much bother for any of the staff all of whom were very warm and friendly. One of my guests remarked that 'it is nice to see people enjoying their jobs for a change'. The in house DJ too was excellent, he played all of our requested songs and got everyone up on the dance floor. Most of our guests stayed over and all remarked on how nice the rooms were, we stayed in the honeymoon suite which was fabulous, it was huge and had a lovely bathroom with jet bath. Breakfast too was really nice with excellent service. The wedding planner Lydia was excellent throughout our wedding preparation and was always on hand to answer any questions, our wedding day went perfectly to plan thanks to her and the rest of the staff at the Black Horse. All of my guests have remarked that they thoroughly enjoyed the day and that it was such an excellent venue. We will be returning for a meal and overnight stay in the very near future. I can't recommend the Black Horse enough for a wedding venue.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claire F
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Me and my partner stayed at the Black Horse Inn very recently, and we have to say we have never experienced anything quite like it.

I'd left the booking up to my partner, and when she told me she had booked a "bed and breakfast", with dinner thrown in, I was not expecting anything out of the ordinary - how wrong I was!

We were greeted to start off with by the friendly receptionist (Sue, I believe) and shown to our room via the most charming courtyard. The room was amazing! Immaculately decorated and furnished, impeccably clean, it really was beautiful - filled with those little finishing touches to let you know the owners really do care.

Next was the dinner (which was included in the room price). Absolutely outstanding in taste, presentation and service. We both had the beetroot and apricot salad to start, followed by a duck breast and a huge steak cooked to perfection. We chatted a while with the young man who was serving us who recommended us a lovely bottle of red and the Yorkshire strawberries for dessert (I didn't catch his name, but he certainly knew his stuff!)

Following an excellent night's sleep we headed down for breakfast - in the same restaurant. The same young man was there to greet us and even made sure we had the same table! We were spoilt for choice on the breakfast menu but opted for the full works with coffee and toast to order.

We paid our bill and checked out - again with a smile from Sue! I have to say we will definitely be returning if we're ever coming this way again! A truly memorable experience that left us smiling all the way home. Thank you so much!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at the Black Horse for a couple of nights following an advert in the Yorkshire Post offering a special deal over the August Bank Holiday weekend.
We were not familiar with this part of the country, so thought we would give it a try.
We were delighted with our choice. We were very early for our 2pm check-in, but thought that we would let them know we had arrived and that we intended to sit in the bar with a drink and the Sunday papers. We were greeted by Pam the receptionist and Jane, one half of the husband and wife owners. We were given a very warm Yorkshire welcome and advised that someone would seek us out when our room was ready. True to word Pam came along and showed us to our room which was across the delightful courtyard with its seating area with beautiful tubs and baskets of flowers, etc. Stunning !
Our room, although not enormous had everything we required. A comfy bed, flat screen tv, tea and coffee making facilities, including a cafetiere with ground coffee, biscuits and bottled water. There was also an iron and ironing board. The en suite was compact, but again more than adequate for our needs. The toiletries were very good quality. The best thing for me personally was the provision of a "Bath Sheet" as opposed to a fiddling "Bath Towel". The Black Horse advertise as being a "Restaurant With Rooms", and yet everything they offer is what you would get in a quality hotel.
We have read in certain reviews that the food is both pretentious and over priced. Sorry, but We beg to differ. The food is first class. Top quality produce, very nicely presented and generous portions. We ate breakfast and dinner on two occasions and a lunch time snack. We enjoyed every mouthful of food. There was so much choice of menu. The dining rooms are lovely. We ate in two different ones. Both equally charming. The service is spot on. The staff are extremely polite, helpful, friendly and obviously happy in their work. For those who think it is pretentious and over priced, perhaps a place where they serve Pub Grub at two for a tenner would be more in keeping than a meal at the Black Horse, but don't forget you only get what you pay for !
We could not find one single thing to complain about, not that we ever visit such places looking to find fault.
Jane and Andrew seem so run their business just right. Perhaps the fact that the business has been in Jane's family some 60 years has something to do with it ! Their staff as I mentioned earlier are first class. Lydia, Jess and Harriet are the only ones whose name we got to know but there were quite a few others, hence service was excellent throughout our stay.
Our stay at the Black Horse was a wonderful experience from start to finish, right up to being checked-out by Sue, another receptionist, another valuable member of staff. A Big Thank You to each and everyone of you. We will definitely be back !

Room Tip: Sorry ! There wasn't a swimming pool or fitness centre - I pressed a wrong key and ouldnt get ri...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

We held our wedding at the Black Horse Inn on the 24th of August and I can honestly say the service we recieved was faultless! The food impeccable, we recieved many comments about how superb the food was. Nothing was too much trouble and we were made so feel so welcome. The Staff, in particular Jess and Johnny (and of course Lydia) were so pleasent, professional and helpful and despite it being a long shift were friendly right to the end. Even the next day, the receptionist Checking us out was friendly and helpful.
I don't often subscribe to writing reviews, but, I made an exception here as I really feel that excellent service should be celebrated as so often it can be overlooked in favour of people picking fault over the smallest thing.
I can honestly say, The Black Horse made our wedding a day I will never forget for all the right reason. Lydia, I cannot thank you enough!

• Stayed: August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighouse
Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse
#10 of 14 in Huddersfield
Healds Hall Hotel
Healds Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Liversedge

Been to The Black Horse Inn? Share your experiences!