“Appaulling....Singles Beware!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Brighouse B&B and Inns
Cadnam, United Kingdom
“Appaulling....Singles Beware!”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The single room consists of a very poor quality single sprung mattress overlayed with a double polyester duvet presumably to dull the impact of the protruding springs and overlayed with a double mattress cover all of which moves in the night. The pillow offered is a slither of polyester without any pillow protector and even taking the spare polyester pillow doesn't increase a true 'pillow experience', Access to the en suite facility is restricted by the bed, so beware you need to be slim to gain access. If you need to take rest in a chair...forget it there isn't one.

Dirty cockery was given whilst taking an evening bar snack and again my cup on the breakfast table the following morning had obviously escaped any dish washing techniques. First down to breakfast I expected a freshly cooked menu. The bacon I was offered was hard, dark and burnt. This was never in a million years freshly cooked that morning......I was in total disbelief that this could be presented as edible fare. Proceeded to check out.,.... my account had already been discounted. That the account had been discounted was totally irrevelant. I expected and required a good nights sleep in a quality bed with a freshly cooked breakfast in the morning as a bare minimum. I booked and expected a boutique experience as per their advertised crudentials...it didn't even reach basic standards. As it was, I left the Black Horse with a bad back, hungry and I'm still awaiting a promisied call from the manager. The only shinning star was the lovely staff who were very apologetic and showed a degree of empathy to the sub standard single room and service that I had endured . I feel the distant memory of the fairy story of the princess and pea riniging in my ear as I departed with the banner proclaiming the merits of the boutique experience the Black Horse in my rear view mirror.

Room Tip: Whatever you do don't travel as a 'single' person. You will be given the worst rooom ro...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
13 Thank myrtlecottage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I went here as a guest for a mid-week lunch as part of a small business group and based upon the reviews probably wouldn’t have booked it myself for a lunch. After the meal my host told me they wouldn’t be back and I certainly wouldn’t go.

We experienced most of the things others have complained about. A dining room that was almost empty but service that was non-existent; a waiter who, when he arrived, was more pretentious than those I have seen in high class French restaurants; food that was ok but portions that would have encouraged me to get a takeaway on the way back to the office. I didn’t pay but having seen the prices not value for money.
A poor experience and a shame because it is a lovey building with real potential. Someone has lost the plot!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
12 Thank OldPos1956
Manchester
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Just stayed one night at the Black Horse Inn and we had a lovely time, fantastic service, great rooms with lots of character and an amazingly huge selection of breakfast!

Great value for money, would stay again

1 Thank shelly-annManchester
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed overnight at the Black Horse on an offer from Travelzoo. This cost £59 for two with champagne breakfast. We stayed in the Jacobean large superior room which was fab!!

We sat out in the courtyard which was lovely in the afternoon sun and had a few drinks before dinner. The courtyard was spotless and we couldn`t believe it when the receptionist told us this had been flooded only a couple of days before in the flash floods!

We ate in the restraunt in the evening which was full to capacity on a Monday! The food was excellent - served piping hot by staff who were extremely efficient. The portions were ample in size. I was a bit dubious about prices after reading some of the previous comments on here. However, we felt the prices were reasonable for the standard of food we were served, no comparison can be made between the food we were served here and the average pub grub meal. The only down side for me was that the "sweets" mainly consisted of ice cream type dishes - I would have prefered some sponge dishes - but then again I am a cake fanatic!

The bar and lounge areas were really cosy and comfy. My husband was impressed with the range of Yorkshire beers on offer. All the staff were friendly and could not do enough to help.

Our bedroom overlooked the road at the front, but this did not affect the quality of sleep at all.
At breakfast next day we were asked would we like champagne or bucks fizz - we declined this as we had consumed a lovely bottle of rose Merlot the night before in the restraunt and did not feel the need for more alcohol so early in the morning!

The choice of breakfast menu was fantastic. My husband opted for smoked haddock with poached eggs while I had a regular cooked breakfast. Both of these were hearty, tasty and piping hot. We finished off with coffee, tea and toast.

All in all a brilliant overnight stay - just wished we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Jacabean superior room is lovely - wooden beams, large king sized bed and white en-suite bath with s...
1 Thank HelenandAndy2010
Halifax
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This is a nice country pub trying very hard to be something it will never be. The food and drink is alarmingly overpriced and pretencious. We were served by a man who thought by explaining the ingredients of every course qualified him in some way to be a celebrity, we had a nice table in a half empty restaurant which on a Friday night tells a story in itself. We then proceeded down to the bar for after dinner drinks and there were 2 people in the whole place apart from us. I have one piece of advise for the owners, stop pretending and start serving good food at good prices and you may be able to stay open, I have spoken to many people since visiting this place who used to be regulars but say they have priced themselves out so they go elsewhere! Shame.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Jonbantam
Barnsley, Yorkshire
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Chanced on this via a Travelzoo &B offer. Accommodation is charming if nothing out of the ordinary, but the welcome and service were both definitely out of the ordinary, the pub combined the feel of a real local with elegance. Best of all was the food, superbly cooked, and again with great service, attentive and friendly without being intrusive. We'll be going back.

1 Thank GoGoWoman
North Lincolnshire, England
Reviewed June 15, 2012

we have just spent two nights at the Black Horse where we celebrated my Mum and her new husbands wedding.

Rooms - we were booked into the standard courtyard room and it basically did what it said on the tin. It was compact but very clean and had everything you need when all you're planning to do is sleep, shower and change there. A nice touch was that the coffee provided in the room is fresh coffee along with a cafeteire, not just instant. The towels are large and the toiletries were replenished daily. I've had better rooms, but at £55 a night for two (including breakfast) it was excellent value.

Staff - All the staff were extremely nice, helpful and had an attitude that they really did want to make your stay lovely. They were very obliging (especially with the Bride!!!)

Food - Breakfast was cooked to order. I had a traditional English the first day which was delicious (ask them to double up on the bacon and and sausage!) and the second day I had eggs Benedict which were truly delicious. The wedding breakfast was also superb. There was a choice for each of the three courses and the Yorkshire puddings were definately home made and NOT Aunt Bessies!. For dessert my hubby didn't fancy either option, and without any fuss a lovely cheese board was produced. I saw some of the food they were serving in the main restaurant and it looked fabulous

Wine - they have a good wine list which is suitable for any budget, I went for the house recommended and it was excellent and great value at £15 a bottle. The draught beer (timothy taylors) was, according to the hubby, well kept and there was a good whisky collection.

With regards to the wedding, my mum had the reception there, it was intimate and elegant with a private dining room set out with beautiful linen and chairs. They were obliging in allowing us to take our own champagne (with a small corkage fee) and even let mum's dog stay over.

We will definately visit again. Thanksx

Room Tip: They are all unique, and it depends on your budget but the website shows them all accurately
2 Thank Anne G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighouse
Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse
#7 of 17 in Huddersfield
Briar Court Hotel
Briar Court Hotel
#11 of 17 in Huddersfield

Been to The Black Horse Inn? Share your experiences!