“Consistently fabulous”

The Black Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Brighouse B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We are lucky to have the Black Horse as our local so are frequent visitors.

We had our wedding reception there in January and it could not have been better. Lydia could not have been more accommodating - nothing was too much trouble for her. We had a reception for 80 people - everyone said how fantastic the food had been and what a great venue it is. We had a hog roast and a carvery buffet - it was excellent - nothing was left. Chef made us a croquembouche rather than a traditional wedding cake. Candles, fire baskets and lanterns made the outdoor area very special.

I think it is superb value. The room hire was about £275 and the buffet £25 a head. There's no uplift on drinks. The DJ was brilliant - played everything we wanted and was a great laugh. We got exactly what we wanted.

We regularly attend wine tastings and other events. The wine tastings are about £40 a head which generally includes a 4 course meal and not short of 2 bottles of wine to taste - no half measures here! The "call my bluff" tastings are brilliant fun.

Sunday luch / early bird is excellent value at £15 a head for two courses. The a la carte is also fabulous quality - the food is of a high standard, but you don't think that the food has been "mucked around" - it's traditional with a modern twist. Portion sizes may look on the small size, but they are deceptively filling.

Owners Jane and Andrew make you feel very welcome. Their daughter Lydia organises events and has great ideas and insights.

The beer garden has just had a make over and we are loving the new seating area and Jane's mum's flowers. It's the perfect place to while away a bottle of wine. And if the weather gets grim, move inside and sit next to the stove!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 30, 2011

I had not been here for well over a year and had heard several negative comments since the pub had a refurbishment. The decor is now rather modern and the interesting racing memorabilia has gone.
On the first sunny day of spring I went here for lunch. Sitting in the courtyard I enjoyed some good fish and chips followed by a sticky toffee pudding (swimming in a bit too much sauce). I can't speak for what it's like in the evening but from my experience this is certainly worth calling into for a decent lunch and I'd be more than happy to go back.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Ardeidae
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Stayed one night in The Black Horse Inn - friendly staff and great food. We ate there in the evening and the food was excellent. They have a special lunch and early bird deal, but we had the a la carte menu, as we arrived a bit later, which is a bit more expensive, but the food more than makes up for it. The room was lovely too, really comfy beds and breakfast was great. No complaints at all and would be very happy to return. Special word of thanks to Kevin, the barman, great local knowledge and very helpful! Also good real ale served here.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OSCAR11
Reviewed December 26, 2009

After spending hours trawling websites for a nice country inn with log fires where we could enjoy a couple of nights away, I came across the Black Horse Inn, Clifton. Location seemed perfect , really near the motorway with easy access in the bad snowy weather so I called them and booked with them direct - I was quoted 92.50 for a double room in the courtyard with Breakfast. Later that evening after checking the place out on a few other sites, I found that Active hotels were offering the courtyard room for 75 pounds. I called back and the man on the phone checked the site and said no problem, he would honour the rate and I asked him to make a note on my booking. When I arrived, the rate I was given was 92.50 again, so I mentioned the man on the phone had agreed 75 and so this was changed without a problem.

I was then pleased to be offered an upgrade to a higher class of room. The room itself was small, but cosy and warm with a (non functional) log fire and wooden beams on the ceiling. Good sized bathroom with bath and seperate shower which was well stocked with toiletaries.

The pub itself is tiny and has a seperate resteraunt area, but we had a chat to a few of the locals who were really friendly as were the staff. The entire place has free wifi which is a great bonus.

I found that the drinks and meals are so overpriced. Example, cheapest small glass of wine is 3.60 (I paid 4.50 for the 1st glass I had and thought he had made a mistake but he had given me one of the more expensive wines so I swapped onto the cheaper one after checking the menu), and a bottle of still water is 2.95!

We went down for dinner on the 1st night to find they had stopped serving food at 9pm, but the chef agreed to do fish and chips for us which we were happy to order.

The fish and chips arrived and it was a large portion, however it was 30 pounds for the 2 of us which is just insane.

The village of Clifon has very little to do, there was 1 resteraunt we visited called Brookes. Posh and again quite overpriced but good food (17 pounds for a really nice steak but served with frozen chips!) The white chocolate ice cream was divine though. O When paying the bill we were asked if we would like to add a gratuity to the card. It may just be me, but tips will be left if we want to tip (which we did of course) but i thought it was rather rude to be asked.

The location of the Black Horse is right off the M62, not even 2 minutes away, so good access. It is up a rather steep hill and we had a lot of snow the couple of days we stayed so our Taxi couldnt get up the hill after we had been out for a meal, so we had a nightcap at the Holiday Inn at the end of the road and climbed up the hill to the Black Horse (not easy in high heels!!).

The service was good at the Black Horse and people were friendly. I was happy with my choice of place but just feel they dont need to charge so much for everything when they know there are very few choices for other places to go in the area. for what we spent on 2 nights we could have got 2 flights abroad.

Overall, a nice cosy place with good service but I wouldnt go back and think there are much better more reasonable places to stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kay009
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We spent a weekend visiting relatives who lived at different ends of Yorkshire so decided to stay somewhere in between on the Saturday night. I decided on the Black Horse because of location despite some mixed trip advisor reviews. In short the food was really very good - gastropub style. My pie was lovely but I think that my partners haddock and chips was even better. The food was clean and tidy with a nice bathroom and good quality furniture. We had the booze and snooze package which I think was very good value.

I really can't understand some of the criticisms on this site. It's a pub - so why was the other reviewer so shocked to find them serving pub grub?

I would certainly be pleased to stay again.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Having stayed here before we knew it would be fantastic and it was again! (See previous review). I noticed the bad reviews below after we had re-booked and wondered if it had changed hands and would be terrible. Luckily it hasn't, the same nice couple own it and it turns out the good chef hasn't left but the original good one has come back, his name is Darren. It's a great restaurant and the rooms are fantastic, we had a Champagne room this time called Mumm. We got a good deal on the room too £140.00 Dinner, Bed and Breakfast. Don't listen to the rubbish reviews!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Called in to the Black Horse for Lunch - last time we had been it was busy, friendly, and a wonderful experience. This time it was deserted (we were the only people in the pub), quite unfriendly, and a dreadful experience. One look at the menu raised concerns - last time had pork with snails this time had choice of bangers and mash, steak pie, and other fast-food pub favourites. On asking about the change in the menu (from good food to pub grub) we were told the old chef had left. I should have taken up my wife's suggestion that we go elsewhere, but like a fool I stayed. Never again. Ordinary food at top prices. I know there's always an issue with changing chefs but this should not mean a change in quality or what is on offer. Given that we were the only people there for Saturday lunch shows that the locals have voted with their feet - they probably know where the old chef went (I wish I did).

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
12  Thank MikeT_Hessle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighouse
Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse
#10 of 14 in Huddersfield
Healds Hall Hotel
Healds Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Liversedge

Been to The Black Horse Inn? Share your experiences!