“Feeling let down”

Best Western Plus Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Badsworth
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday, having driven just under 300 miles to get there.

On arrival the receptionist (Sarah?) was on the 'phone & made no eye contact while we stood there, waiting. When she finally acknowledged us, she was brusque and short, but by no means warm or welcoming. Not great start.

1) Our room (no.23) was over the wedding reception taking place downstairs, despite having been told that we would be as far away from the noise as possible.
2) Our hospitality tray (when we found it) was in the wardrobe! We could not use the kettle unless we stood it on the floor - the cord was too short to reach from the plug onto a surface.
3) The tea spoons & cups were not clean (tea stains running down the sides.)
4) Our (rubber covered) mattress made us sweat, was like rock and led to little sleep. Pillows not much better.
5) In the bathroom, we found there was no shower. (Hadn't been told this.)
6) The bath had a jacuzzi type set up which I thought would be a real treat, but it did not work.
7) The bathroom tiles were completely covered in limescale, fingerprints and general detritus that had been inadequately washed off and buffed away.
8) The bath had evidence on the sides of the previous occupant - dirty soap stuck in a lump on the side.
9) There was rubbish on the floor at the side of the bin that must have been dropped/missed by the housekeeper.

I could have mentioned all of these points to the receptionist, but to be honest, bearing in mind her manner, and the fact that there was a wedding reception in progress, we did not feel that we could address her and gained a positive outcome, so we put up with it.

I'm disappointed, (bearing in mind that I returned here having lived in Pontefract and frequented Rogerthorpe for 26 years - incl murder mysteries and a good few 'Christmas Do's') because I know that my comments won't change anything. Why do I know this? Because having read other guests' reviews, you didn't deal with it then either.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Red987_13
Rogerthorpe, Owner at Best Western Plus Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

16th May 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. We always appreciate comments made by guests who have stayed at the hotel.

Your points are very constructive and we shall be holding a managers meeting to discuss these points at length.

We had had a Best Western inspection only 2 days before your visit where every room and public areas are inspected and we received 100 out of 100 for all our housekeeping, so I am very surprised to read of your poor experience, rest assured these have already been addressed.

Thank you again for taking the time to post.

Kind regards

Richard J Metcalfe

Reviewed May 2, 2013

stayed here many times both attneding wedding and just on the "facebook" weekend deals that rogerthorpe do which are absolutly excellent value for money, the place itself is absolutly stunning and is immaculate, rooms are very comfortable and finished to a high standard, every room we have ever stayed in has all been on par with a honeymoon suite this is how high of a standard they are. food in the 1610 resteraunt is immaculate, and so is the breakfast in the jacobean bar, staff are really friendly and helpful and i would have no hesitation in visiting this place again. myself and fiance were looking at getting married here next year however due to only having small families and a small turnout we didnt think it would be necessary as the wedding venues are really large, but again stunning with your own private a conservatory leading out onto the picturesque gardens. lovely.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marcus B
Rogerthorpe, Owner at Best Western Plus Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

04th May 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your very positive review on Trip Advisor. Your kind words will be appreciated by other possible customers when they are choosing the hotel.

We would be very happy to accommodate your wedding as we also have smaller rooms for day Receptions etc, should you require further information please do not hesitate to contact Karen Hunter on weddings@rogerthorpemanor.co.uk

Reviewed April 19, 2013

The staff are a credit to the place. They are dedicated and hardworking.

I got married here this year and from the moment wee booked we were looked after and treated like Royalty. The Wedding Coordinators are very knowledgeable and nothing is too much trouble. Watching the banqueting staff work is like watching a ballet. They work like a well-oiled machine and they do it quickly and efficiently.
The bridal suite (Rm14) is decorated and furnished to a high standard and it was a pleasure stopping there.

The day itself I couldn't fault. The respect shown to my decorations belongings was admirable. I have seen other venues toss a brides veil under a table, pile centrepieces in a corner once the day is over and throw bouquets in the bin. I did not witness anything but care and kindness from the staff here.

I would highly recommend Rogerthorpe Manor as a Wedding Venue and i do not regret booking with them.

I do however have some big issues with the recommended DJ which I shall be taking up with them soon. He ignored the pre-wedding request we submitted, playing music which was stated as strictly do-not-play (due to being funeral music for a departed friend) The banned music was re-iterated several times throughout the night but he had the audacity to play it when I left the room for a moment and abandoned his decks. Not a happy bunny. When I approached him he claimed he was being nagged. He also brought along a "friend" who sat there looking very scruffy and was playing on her phone all night and looking very bored. When she looked up from her mobile she gave my guests unfavourable looks before going back to her phone. I do wonder if she was a necessary part of the furniture or whether it would have hurt to at least appear semi-smart and look a little less like she was at a stamp collectors convention. After I had some stern words with the DJ about the upsetting funeral music he then went on to play any ridiculous request which came his way and ignore the Bride and Grooms requests.... Overall really not happy and would recommend you go elsewhere for your DJ or hire a band.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Rogerthorpe, Owner at Best Western Plus Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

22nd April 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your great feedback on your recent Wedding held at the Manor.

Your comments are very pleasing as all member of the team work hard.

We will be looking at your comments and speaking to the DJ Company who works with the hotel, this is not acceptable.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had our wedding at Rogerthorpe Manor on the 6 April 2013. The experience was beyond our wildest dreams. We had the most amazing day which was down to the fantastic Wedding Co-ordinator, Karen who was fabulous. Her attention to details in the planning was first class attending to our every requirement without question whilst remaining calm and composed throughout the day.
The food was fantastic and all our guests commented to the quality of the food being served and the lovely attentive staff serving our guests. The service was first class throughout the day and this was overseen by Danny our MC who was excellent and controlled the whole event during the Wedding Breakfast.
The change around for the different elements of the day, from the ceremony, to the wedding breakfast and then onto the evening party all went without a hitch and everything looked beautiful at each stage of the day.
Rogerthorpe Manor staff placed all of our wedding items on the tables with meticulous care and attention to show them off to their best and we were blown away by how beautiful our wedding venue looked throughout the day.
If you are considering getting married then both Kay and I would highly recommend this venue for a truly great wedding experience. We will always remember our special day at Rogerthorpe Manor and its stunning grounds. A big thank you to all the staff involved.
The perfect Wedding

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank davequinton
Rogerthorpe, Owner at Best Western Plus Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

12th April

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your open and honest review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted that your day went exactly how you had both planned it. We work very hard to ensure each and every wedding at the Manor is very special and to the specific requirements of the Bride and Groom.

Thank you for your glowing report!!

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding here on Good Friday, the room was decorated so beautifully from outside to in.

The wedding coordinator Karen was brilliant sorting me as soon as I arrived explained what will happen an sorting my train out just before I walked down the aisle.

The food was excellent an was more than what we expected, started with leek and potato soup which was lovely, then chicken with mushroom sauce, the chicken was a good size and was so tender and the sauce complimented it beautifully! Sticky toffee pudding for dessert which was lovely!

The master of ceremony was brilliant and such a polite guy, giving us updates and always asking if we were happy with things. We had a two year old an she loves milk and he was happy to run and get her glasses of the stuff, he looked after us very well and made the day even more special, made us feel very important and give us the VIP treatment.

In the evening we has the BBQ which was beautiful, so much choices of food and everyone said it was gorgeous.

Overall our day was brilliant and this hotel made our wedding so special an we would like to say a big big thank you.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Donnacrowther
Rogerthorpe, Owner at Best Western Plus Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

02nd April 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your glowing report of your wedding held recently at the manor.

The staff work tirelessly in ensuring your day is very special and we really appreciate the great feedback.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We was looking at having a ride out to Holmfirth where we know of a nice little Italian place to eat but because of the weather conditions we decided to go over to Rogersthorpe Manor Hotel for our dinner.
We got there had to wait about 15 mins for a table so we had a coffee.
Once we had been shown to our table we could choose from the Carvery or the main menu,
we chose the menue, my wife had Salmon and I had spotted some one else eating the SteakPie so I ordered that.
Both meals where ample, I went up for gravey twice and more veg.
The food was excellent and the service just as good.
Well worth a visit, we did not arrive there until 15.30hrs and the place was still very busy.

Room Tip: Look on there web site, the rooms look very nice in the hotel, we only went for a meal...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Rogerthorpe, Owner at Best Western Plus Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

27th March 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you taking the time to post your excellent review on Trip Advisor and I am sure that other guest will be encouraged by your positive and glowing comments.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Attended a wedding at this hotel was very pleased with my room. Unfortunately we had to cancel my uncles room as he is very disabled and there was no lift! It was pointed out to me that the manor was a listed building which I'm all on for but when I asked how was I to get my uncle to his room the receptionist who wasn't very pleasant answered by can a couple of fellas not lift him!! Health & Safety hello! Food was lovely especially breakfast! Went to bar to order a platter of sandwiches only to be told they had only crisps or I could go to the carvey, overall the wedding made my day at the hotel!! I will never go back. Also I found a big discrepancy in paying for my room my sister went online and got a completely different price. Not a happy customer!

Room Tip: Ask for a family room!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Rogerthorpe, Owner at Best Western Plus Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

26th March 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor

Your constructive points have been noted and shall be discussed at the next managers meeting.

I am happy that you enjoyed the overall experience at the hotel.

Managing Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Badsworth
Wentbridge House Hotel
Monk Fryston Hall Hotel
Monk Fryston Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Monk Fryston
Best Western Plus Milford Hotel

Been to Best Western Plus Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!