“Fantastic Place in SJDS! Peaceful, Beautiful & Relaxing B&B”
Review of Casa Del Soul

and 1 more site!
Casa Del Soul
Bangkok, Thailand
“Fantastic Place in SJDS! Peaceful, Beautiful & Relaxing B&B”
Reviewed September 7, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Casa del Soul for two weeks during the month of August and had a wonderful time.

The location is fantastic and only 10 minutes from town, set high up in the hills. Casa del Soul has the most spectacular view of a pristine bay and is surrounded by lush greenery and even some howler monkeys! Truly a beautiful, quiet location with a gorgeous swimming pool and all the amenities of a hotel. There are only 3 rooms total, so it's very relaxing, but also fun to meet some other guests.

We had Room #1 and it was perfect for us. You awake with an awesome view every morning (will post pics when we get back to NYC). There was a beautiful breeze almost every night. Only Room #3 downstairs has AC, but there were 3 fans in our room. The lack of AC was not an issue for us, but may be an issue for some in the hot season. The room was more than comfortable with high quality linens, a fridge, Satellite TV, DVD's, and is much more high end than most hotel rooms you'll find in town. Wi-Fi is free and works on the balcony, under the rancho, or by the pool. There's an iPod docking station downstairs so bring your iPod if you want to hear some tunes while relaxing at the pool.

Casa del Soul is super clean, tastefully decorated, has a friendly staff, and you can use the full kitchen downstairs to cook and barbeque. We cooked on the grill almost every night and had drinks by the pool with the most spectacular sunsets (some of the best in the world). We felt like we were staying at a really big house since we had access to the entire downstairs common area and kitchen - it's a great set up and something different than just a hotel room.

Breakfast was great. You can have anything you want - eggs, gallo pinto, pancakes, fruit, homemade french toast (Brenda's French Toast is THE BEST!). You will not go hungry in the AM. Fresh coffee is brewed every morning too.

Randy, the owner, will take you to the supermarket to stock up on food if you wish to cook or have some snacks at the house. He was more than happy to provide us with a ride into town when needed and helped coordinate activities. If he is not available then Carlos the taxi driver charges honest rates and is both pleasant and reliable.

We love Nicaragua and loved Casa del Soul and will be back for sure! I highly recommend this property and know you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Discrn_Trvlr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
PeterGM83
Reviewed September 1, 2009

My Girlfriend and I stayed at Casa Del Soul in mid-August 2009, and had a wonderful time. We really appreciated Randy's advice as to which restuarants and activities to consider, and especially recommend staying at Casa Del Soul for first time visitors to San Juan Del Sur.

The views are very nice from the two top rooms, and the pool is very nice to relax by.

We highly recommend Casa del Soul.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Casa del Soul...a beautiful place in it's own secluded bay. I wasn't sure what to expect from San Juan del Sur as it was my first trip to Central America. I was very surprised with Casa del Soul. It greatly exceeded my expectations...we had a great time! Randy was fantastic as a host as he helped with the smallest of details on our trip.

San Juan del Sur was a great quaint little town with many things to do. I wish we had stayed another week so I could take full advantage of all there was to offer - including surf lessons and learning some more Spanish. We relaxed at Casa del Soul by the pool and in town in the evening for the first few nights. We had a great time on the canopy tour (zip line), which was only a five minute drive from Casa del Soul. It was also good to get out on the ocean with an afternoon boat ride south to an isolated beach. We were able to have a great cookout at Casa del Soul also one of the evenings. And, to top it all off, a great guided trip back to Managua where we saw Granada, Masaya, other villages, and got to look down into an active volcano (how cool is that!).

I highly recommend staying at Casa del Soul and enjoying San Juan del Sur.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
tiburon
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Randy Harvey the owner was very efficient in all our communications.Any questions we had he responded right away via e-mail. He set us up with a shuttle service from the Managua airport to San Juan del Sur. He had contacts for surfing, restaurants, taxi drivers, and tours. He gave us great recommendations for other places in Nicaragua, like Totoco Eco-lodge in Ometepe. The room we had was very clean, spacious, plenty of light, with a large patio. From both the room and the patio (2nd floor) you overlooked a beautiful bay with fantastic sunsets at night. The pool was immaculate and we enjoyed swimming at night under the stars. The breakfasts were great and satisfying. They supplied us with a phone and a list of contacts, that was very helpful. Brenda was very friendly and caring, helpful with everything. The staff was friendly and kept everything spotless. We really enjoyed Randy's dog Chucho. Very friendly dog. If you want to go to the beach he is more than happy to be your guide. We will definitely return to Casa del Soul. We stayed four nights and next time we plan on staying longer.

palm beach FL
Reviewed August 1, 2009

I had two things I wanted to experience in Nicaragua on my first trip. The first was really good surf. The second was a really nice place to stay. Casa Del Soul provided both. I was not interested in the "surf camp" circus. I wanted to spend my days in the water and my nights comfortable. Casa del Soul was peaceful, with unbelievable views in all directions. I spent my evenings watching the sunset, lounging by the pool, and enjoying Nicaragua's beauty. When you travel sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. The owner (Randy) is the nicest guy in the world, I honestly feel that I got lucky meeting Randy and staying at his amazing place. The next time I travel to Nicaragua I will be staying there.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 29, 2009

I stayed here with my boyfriend for a week and as someone who has traveled the world quite a bit, I can honestly say that this was one of the best vacations of my life. Casa del Soul is not the place for you if you're seeking a non-stop party atmosphere with the bars and discos close by. If you're looking for a somewhat secluded romantic get-away, then this is definitely the place for you.

Unfortunately, we never had the opportunity to meet Randy (he was out of town at the time), but his girlfriend Brenda was an incredible host: sweet, accommodating, and helpful in every respect-- from letting us do a small load of laundry to helping arrange surf lessons and canopy tours. The house has a small kitchen where you can cook your own meals but Gabby, one of the house-helpers, was often available to make breakfast. Because we were on a budget, we wanted to cook our own meals and the space was perfect for that: a nice gas stove, spacious counter space, and a fantastic outdoor grill which we used almost every single night.

There is a nice pool which Alex (also the driver) keeps immaculately clean as well as plenty of deck space for all your sunning desires. In the afternoons, we were frequently found under the palapa in the hammocks, catching some cool breezes or checking our email with the free wi-fi (they also have a laptop which you can use). Randy and Brenda also have a friendly dog, Chucho who loves a good petting (we miss him dearly!).

My favorite part of Casa del Soul, by far, is its view. It is surrounded by lush green hills (keep in mind, we went during the "rainy" season, though, when we were there, the rain came in short and infrequent spurts) and the house itself faces the ocean, where you can see the most spectacular sunsets. You must go there to see it for yourself!

One small note (and the only reason why I've given this place 4/5 stars for location): The price you pay for amazing views and peace and quiet is that the house itself is set apart from the main town of San Juan del Sur. This caused some minor problems like when we wanted to make a quick trip to the grocery store and back but didn't have a ride from Alex. (Walking would have simply taken too long.) That said, I've read several reviews stating that the distance is not really walkable: this is not true at all. In fact, we walked the distance to town and back several times and yes, it was a workout (some serious hills), but we really got an expanded sense of San Juan and its outlying areas and along the way, we got some great snapshots of the town from high up.

Other than that, if you're looking to be out all night, you (obviously) shouldn't be walking back at those hours. No problem: they have an arrangement with a local driver (he was great!) and you can use a cellphone, which Randy and Brenda provide you, to call him at any hour of the night and he will pick you up and take you back for a nominal fee (around $12).

All in all, this was a fantastic vacation and I know that a big part of that had to do with our amazing accommodations at Casa del Soul. I hope that if you plan to visit this part of Nicaragua, you give Randy and Brenda a visit-- it is worth it!

Miami
Reviewed July 28, 2009

As i type this review, i am not sure where to begin. I loved the view from the room's balcony overlooking the Bay, the sunsets were amazing. Is all about the location and Randy couldn't have found a better spot, the house itself is very clean and comfortable.
If you want a quiet and amazing location to get away this is it, i can't think of a better place in SDS. My only regret is not being able to stay longer.