“1st Rate hotel in the 3rd World”
Review of El Jardin Hotel

El Jardin Hotel
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
Topeka, Kansas
“1st Rate hotel in the 3rd World”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I found out that I have the record for longest stay at the El Jardin! I was there for six wonderful weeks. But you are not reading this to find out about me, so lets get to it:

The Good:

1. The Owner/Operators are some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Each day was started with a pleasant greeting, and a nice hot cup of coffee.

2. The Service was excellent. Whether it was help getting a taxi, the serving of a meal, or (in my case) taking me to the hospital, they were always gracious and helpful.

3. The Food! The food was first rate. Breakfast was provided, and it usually consisted of freshly baked bread, butter, and jelly, served with a plate of fresh local fruit. This was followed by a couple of scrambled eggs and two strips of perfectly cooked bacon. Why perfectly cooked? The first day I told them that I liked my bacon crisp, and for the rest of the stay that is exactly how I got my bacon. Oh, did I mention the coffee? Not only was there Java from heaven, but each breakfast gets a fresh-squeezed glass of juice!

For dinner, prepare yourself for gastronomical delights! My personal favorite was the Filet. It was served to order, and it was twice the size of a filet that I would have received for 3 times the price back home. The beef was fresh and cooked to perfection. The dish was complimented by two sides, usually some crispy potatoes and a veggie. But don't limit yourself to the delicious steak! The menu was varied, and each dish I tried was fantastic. They have seafood, pork, fish lasagna, chicken curry, a beef stew type dish (my French is atrocious, so I won't even attempt to type the real name), and appetizers such as salad and duck pate.

Desert your thing? They offered a tantalizing crepe Suzette, a scrumptious sundae, and one other dish that I can't remember because I just got lost in memories of the sundae...

4. The View!! Wow! A half million dollar view for a whole lot less. The ocean is right in front, and the hotel sits up high enough on the hill to give a really great view of the bay below. Sunsets from the patio at dinner time were worth the whole trip!

5. The room. Clean, comfortable, and reasonably priced. What more can you ask? I looked around San Juan Del Sur quite a bit during my six week stay, and I did not find a single hotel with better accommodations. Some rooms have A/C, but the fans worked fine for me.

6. The Pool! The pool measures about 30 feet by 12 feet, and is four feet deep. The staff was conscientious about keeping it clean, and the sun had it warm enough by 10 am. There is a shower to rinse off in next to the pool, and nice lounge chairs if a tan is your thing.

7. Location, location, location. The hotel is located about two miles from town, so you get to miss the drunken college children acting up, which the people who stay in town have to put up with.

8. The other guests. People were friendly, and I got to meet people from all over. Of course, some obnoxious people stayed there (I remember one particular young man who threatened to write a bad review if he didn't get his meals/room discounted), but for the most part it was an energetic and eclectic bunch. Everything from hippies to WASPs from the middle of the US of A.

The Bad:

1. If you have bad knees, then you will have to take a taxi to town instead of walking... That's it.

Other Info:

If the owners call a cab for you, it will cost you about 150 Cordobas, or six bucks, to go into town. No biggie. Expect that if you want a ride back to the hotel at night to cough up ten bucks.

There is a bank in town in a white building with an ATM sign out front. It is located at the far end of the harbor. After copying your passport, they will provide you currency exchange services. Very nice people. Be sure to take your hat and sunglasses off before you go in, as the security guard will tell you to.

Henry's Iguana serves cold beer and a decent meal for the money. Just be sure to be out of there by 10 pm if you are over 30. Too many teenagers/young adults for an old-timer like me, and the music gets very loud.

There is an excellent restaurant located behind the rear of the Catholic Church downtown. It is open at night. A good local restaurant is located on the road one block over from that. You will know you are in the right spot when you see the whale skull on the wall. One other gets honorable mention. I ate several times at Dave's Big Wave (or something like that... I also drank a lot of beer). The food was reasonably priced, and very good. Beer was cold, and on a Sunday there I got to watch a movie!

If you want to hike around the cove below the hotel, do it at low tide! It is a nice walk, and if you go far enough to the right you end up in a secluded cove with a sand beach.

If you are not adverse to walking to town, then turn left at the bottom of the hill. In about 15 to 20 minutes you will be at a fork in the road that is created by a chain link fence around a pump building. Go to the right. In about 100 yards you will cross a foot bridge, and be in downtown!

Well, I hope you enjoy your stay as much as I did.

Room Tip: If you need cool air, then get a room with A/C. Nicaragua gets kind of warm. The fans were fine fo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Wolfgang60747

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Loved El Jardin! The owners were out of town during our stay but the lovely Frenchman who tended to the place while they were gone was Im sure equally as wonderful. Home cooked meals on the patio right outside your room with a fantastic view of the bay right below. The room was clean and the A/C oh so needed! Cheap taxi into town, you cannot really walk, it's far and hot and all uphill. Loved this place, for the price and location, it cannot be beat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ligwa19
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We just returned from Nicaragua and had an amazing trip! We started at El Jardin (pronounced El Hardeen). The owners at this property were wonderful and accommodating, The food was excellent! The view is stunning and the rooms comfortable. We loved coming back and having a swim in the cool pool each day. The shade of the roofed deck with tables allowed you to still be outside in the heat of the day without getting too much sun. Each day we walked into town - about 25 minutes to the center of town and then if we were too tired to walk back we caught a cab up. There are awesome beaches to the north and south of town and you can catch a cab or arrange a day with one of the tour companies in town to go there. We loved El Gato Negro bookstore and coffee shop. We picked up snacks at Pali - the grocery store in town. If you stay here, be sure and eat a dinner early in your stay at the restaurant at El Jardin. We ended up having a second meal in our short stay as the food here was the best we had in San Juan del Sur. We highly recommend this place. San Juan del Sur can get busy and noisy so staying a bit out of the center of town allowed us to get into the action when we wanted to and then to escape to a tranquil oasis when we were done!!! Perfect spot to start our Nicaraguan adventure!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank The_Kraken777
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The hotel is small but so confortable, the staff is so special, the breakfast delicious and the view is amazing.
We expend just to nights, a short time to be in that place...
Every thing was just perfect.

• Stayed March 2013
NEW YORK
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is a very nice place to stay. The rooms are simple, functional--but very clean, and all with balconies that allow customers to sit and admire the beautiful view of the bay below. Bright tropical colors provide character to the buildings. Nice size pool. The couple who own the place also attend to all tasks and details--taking pride in providing customers with a personalized quality experience. The breakfast (included) is excellent--lots of fresh fruit, eggs, fresh bread and preserves, juice, etc. In addition, the restaurant (dinner only, no lunch) serves local and french-infused dishes that were definitely some of the best meals we'd eaten in Central America. It is located about 10 mins drive (30 mins walk) from town at the top of a steep-ish dirt road--but that's exactly what gives it a getaway feel. It is a welcome contrast to the hustle and bustle of San Juan's intense parade of beach goers and vendors. There's nothing like sitting on your balcony and watching the flocks of green parrots swoop by.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NEWYORKPROF
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed February 22, 2013

First, we are a little older than the surfers. We want to be in the midst of things, but at the end of the day we want calm beauty and wonderful food. We found all that at the delightful El Jardin Hotel. About a 10 minute drive from the heart of San Juan del Sur (on mostly paved roads, but about a kilometer or so unpaved - our compact Toyota had no problem), El Jardin was a beautiful resting place with interesting architecture, gorgeous ocean views, and comfortable rooms - and very reasonable prices. The European couple who own and operate it (he's Belgian and she's French) are extremely hospitable. And the food is excellent and plentiful. In fact, we were chiding them for giving us too much. My wife and I heartily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sturbridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 17, 2013

If you are looking for a fun, unique yet relaxing, quiet place to stay in San Juan del Sur, this is it! It is a totally different experience than staying in the main town. It is quite a drive to get to though. $30 taxi from the Costa Rica border. And $6-$12 (day or night) taxi to downtown. Despite the other posts I really do not feel it is possible to walk to the beach or to town, unless you are in amazing athletic shape. The hotel is literally on top of a small mountain. Excellent views but the taxi barely made it up the steep road so I know I would never make it on foot. But since there is a pool and a restaurant there is no problem just staying there all day.

Rooms were large and clean. Nice bathrooms. We put 3 in a room with no problem as Room #3 and Room #4 have nice third beds. There is a nice balcony/terrace to eat breakfast or play games. Some of the rooms have a private balcony.

One thing I thought was nice during our stay was the quiet and tranquility. There were a few other guests but everyone seemed to just be relaxing.

Most of the other posts mentioned how wonderfully friendly the hosts/owners were. We did not have this experience. In fact, we felt so uncomfortable by how we were treated by Delphine that we decided not to stay at the hotel for dinner as she was so obviously annoyed with us even though we tried our best to be kind. This was disappointing since the food had such rave reviews. However, I do believe that everyone is entitled to a bad day. I am sorry it put a damper on our stay, but hopefully was an isolated incident. We are guessing she did not have enough help that day and was overwhelmed.

Breakfast, served outside on the terrace was excellent.

We paid approx $80US plus $10 extra for third person. More than accommodations in main town BUT well worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple