I found out that I have the record for longest stay at the El Jardin! I was there for six wonderful weeks. But you are not reading this to find out about me, so lets get to it:
1. The Owner/Operators are some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Each day was started with a pleasant greeting, and a nice hot cup of coffee.
2. The Service was excellent. Whether it was help getting a taxi, the serving of a meal, or (in my case) taking me to the hospital, they were always gracious and helpful.
3. The Food! The food was first rate. Breakfast was provided, and it usually consisted of freshly baked bread, butter, and jelly, served with a plate of fresh local fruit. This was followed by a couple of scrambled eggs and two strips of perfectly cooked bacon. Why perfectly cooked? The first day I told them that I liked my bacon crisp, and for the rest of the stay that is exactly how I got my bacon. Oh, did I mention the coffee? Not only was there Java from heaven, but each breakfast gets a fresh-squeezed glass of juice!
For dinner, prepare yourself for gastronomical delights! My personal favorite was the Filet. It was served to order, and it was twice the size of a filet that I would have received for 3 times the price back home. The beef was fresh and cooked to perfection. The dish was complimented by two sides, usually some crispy potatoes and a veggie. But don't limit yourself to the delicious steak! The menu was varied, and each dish I tried was fantastic. They have seafood, pork, fish lasagna, chicken curry, a beef stew type dish (my French is atrocious, so I won't even attempt to type the real name), and appetizers such as salad and duck pate.
Desert your thing? They offered a tantalizing crepe Suzette, a scrumptious sundae, and one other dish that I can't remember because I just got lost in memories of the sundae...
4. The View!! Wow! A half million dollar view for a whole lot less. The ocean is right in front, and the hotel sits up high enough on the hill to give a really great view of the bay below. Sunsets from the patio at dinner time were worth the whole trip!
5. The room. Clean, comfortable, and reasonably priced. What more can you ask? I looked around San Juan Del Sur quite a bit during my six week stay, and I did not find a single hotel with better accommodations. Some rooms have A/C, but the fans worked fine for me.
6. The Pool! The pool measures about 30 feet by 12 feet, and is four feet deep. The staff was conscientious about keeping it clean, and the sun had it warm enough by 10 am. There is a shower to rinse off in next to the pool, and nice lounge chairs if a tan is your thing.
7. Location, location, location. The hotel is located about two miles from town, so you get to miss the drunken college children acting up, which the people who stay in town have to put up with.
8. The other guests. People were friendly, and I got to meet people from all over. Of course, some obnoxious people stayed there (I remember one particular young man who threatened to write a bad review if he didn't get his meals/room discounted), but for the most part it was an energetic and eclectic bunch. Everything from hippies to WASPs from the middle of the US of A.
1. If you have bad knees, then you will have to take a taxi to town instead of walking... That's it.
If the owners call a cab for you, it will cost you about 150 Cordobas, or six bucks, to go into town. No biggie. Expect that if you want a ride back to the hotel at night to cough up ten bucks.
There is a bank in town in a white building with an ATM sign out front. It is located at the far end of the harbor. After copying your passport, they will provide you currency exchange services. Very nice people. Be sure to take your hat and sunglasses off before you go in, as the security guard will tell you to.
Henry's Iguana serves cold beer and a decent meal for the money. Just be sure to be out of there by 10 pm if you are over 30. Too many teenagers/young adults for an old-timer like me, and the music gets very loud.
There is an excellent restaurant located behind the rear of the Catholic Church downtown. It is open at night. A good local restaurant is located on the road one block over from that. You will know you are in the right spot when you see the whale skull on the wall. One other gets honorable mention. I ate several times at Dave's Big Wave (or something like that... I also drank a lot of beer). The food was reasonably priced, and very good. Beer was cold, and on a Sunday there I got to watch a movie!
If you want to hike around the cove below the hotel, do it at low tide! It is a nice walk, and if you go far enough to the right you end up in a secluded cove with a sand beach.
If you are not adverse to walking to town, then turn left at the bottom of the hill. In about 15 to 20 minutes you will be at a fork in the road that is created by a chain link fence around a pump building. Go to the right. In about 100 yards you will cross a foot bridge, and be in downtown!
Well, I hope you enjoy your stay as much as I did.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Jardin is the perfect place to relax while enjoying amazing views on the Pacific Ocean. The hotel is located up a hill, 4 km (2,4 miles) North from San Juan del Sur. We offer free shuttles to town once a day. Our guests can also spend the day by the outdoor pool where they can enjoy stunning views on Nacascolo bay. Each room has a private bathroom and features charming decor with cheerful colors. Some of them have a private terrace overlooking the ocean which is the perfect spot to watch the sunset. El Jardin's bar & restaurant features both an indoor and an open-air dining area with views on the bay. We serve international food (for example, burgers and tacos) and are also very proud to offer European inspired options (including Beef Bourguignon, Shrimp bisque, Homemade lasagna and many more). The bar is open all day with a good selection of cocktails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, HostelWorld, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity and getaroom.com so you can book your El Jardin Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Jardin Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- El Jardin Hotel Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur