“Great Location”
Review of Hotel Gran Oceano

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Juan del Sur
Hotel Gran Oceano
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The place was clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. Great location: 1/2 block from the beach and right in the center of town. It was great to have the pool to relax in after a hot day on the beach. We were there in low season so the restaurant was only open for breakfast. Breakfast was eggs and gallo pinto, toast and coffee. The food was average but perfectly acceptable. I was surprised that we did not have daily maid service or fresh towels but when we finally did ask, they cleaned our rooms and gave us fresh towels. Marlin, the manager was terrific -friendly and helpful. If I were to go to SJDS again, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I came to this hotel because a friend recommended it. There were quite a number of choices in the area but usually the first night in a new town I prefer not to spend the last few hours of daylight looking for a room. So my friend and I decided to book just one night and see how we liked it. As it turned out we stayed the three days and did not look at any other hotels. But the details are what people wish to see on trip advisor so I will proceed. May I begin by saying that I was rather shocked to read some of the other reviews. As far as the staff was concerned they were extremely friendly. I wondered whether some of the other reviewers were speaking of the same hotel. The decor was nice and also very clean. Some of the reviews stated that the rooms and bathroons were tiny? and overun with bugs?...please. The rooms were quite normal as well as the bathrooms. The hot water was fine and the drains all worked very well. Something you don't always find in Central America, especially in the rainy season. There were a couple of stray ants and even a tiny crab that came under the door but this is normal for a rain forest and even if they dumped a half a can of bug spray in the room it wouldn't likely do much good. I'll pass on the chemical bath in any event. The televisions were small but they had a huge selection of channels including many in english. The beds were comfy as well as the pillows. There was wifi which worked very well and also tables and chairs outside the room on the covered patio along with ac outlets to plug into. (yes!) The free breakfast was a choice of beans and rice and egg or the fruit platter and toast. Big? no, but all I really want in the morning is some good coffee which they had. Besides, you probably don't want to fill up too much as there are so many places to eat in the town. And it is true about the parrots. They really can imitate a baby. I will likely return just for them alone. So I will be returning there, San Juan Del Sur really is a gem worthy of your valuable vacation time. If you feel that my review is inaccurate, please feel free to lob a tomato in my general direction. Happy trails my fellow travellers!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank kvanderson49
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I would not stay in this hotel again-the rooms are tiny, the staff are rude and it is overpriced for what you get. We had booked to stay for 2 nights so after breakfast at 9.30am we went to pay for our 2nd night but were told they had already reserved the room for someone else that day - even though we had a 2 night booking. The breakfast was the worst we got for the price in all of Nicaragua. We are not fussy travellers nor do we expect a lot from hotel staff but this hotel was shocking for 56 dollars a night. We picked this hotal as it has a pool yet after checking in and paying for one night we were told the pool was out of use that day due to chemicals in the water. We asked for our money back to move but were refused so the we tried to insist on a discount - 5 dollars was their idea of a sufficient discount. Because we were insisting on a more satisfactory solution they just told us to use the pool in the end regardless of the chemicals. I have stayed in basic hostels that seemed like 5 star hotels compared to here. Awful awful hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cailinloca
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The hotel is in a great location. Close to the beach and right in town. Rooms were basic but have everything you need. The pool was nice. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I would stay here again if I was to come back to San Juan Del Sur.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sims3
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed here because the other places that we wanted to in San Juan Del Sur, were sold out. It looks great from the street and the lobby, but look out when you open your room door.This property has some good features and some quite bad ones.

THE GOOD:
Location - close to the beach yet right downtown.
Quite quiet.
Reasonably comfortable bed.
Hot water.
Air conditioning.
Nice common areas.
Good nightly rate.

THE BAD:
Very small rooms - super tiny bathrooms.
The rooms, especially the bathrooms are in desperate need of a makeover.
The breakfasts are lousy - they even charged me extra for the jam for my toast.
Most of the employees seem to be sad and don't even say hi to you.
Not super clean.

For basic accommodations it's OK. I don't think I would go back unless I had to.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Goplay88
Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here one night the sunday of semana santa. Everybody was done partying for semana santa so the hotel was pretty empty. The rooms were clean with hot water and great pressure but they could be a little bigger. The place its really nice. Has a big pool and a nice bar area to sit around with wifi. The location is awesome cause your in walking distance from the beach,atm,bars, and restaurants. The guy in the front was very nice and welcoming. They do charge you the nights your going to stay right there and then so when u check out you just have to leave the key. Breakfast is included and its traditional nicaraguan breakfast. Overall I would stay here again. Other places were overpriced and can't even compare.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank idania2m
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We were a Norwegian group of 12 persons, different ages, staying for 12 nights here. Already when we arrived in the middle of the night we felt a friendliness and kindness which lasted the whole stay. The breakfastarea and the poolarea were just wonderful; we could even bring friends here. And the waitresses were so nice and patient with us when we ordered the breakfasts! The rooms with the bathrooms were just as clean as we wanted them to be. The beds were like your bed at home: - just perfect! It was a silent place even the weekend with lots of motorbikers gathered in town! But if you are a person who wants to stay in the room watching TV most of the time, this is definitely not the right place. The rooms are small. But why stay in the room when you are so close to where everything is going on? 40 m away from the beach, the restaurants and bars, and ATM. Our group did not harm anyone and knew how to behave. And that was appreciated by the owners of the hotel who brought everyone in the group a present, and that even before we gave the tips! We have never experienced that in Norway! We recommend the hotel to everybody, and will definitely come back again!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends