“AWesome”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cranbrook
“AWesome”
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Stayed at the Villa with my wife & 12 year old daughter &16 year old son for 17 nights! We were on a 2 1/2 week vacation to Nica. The staff can't do enough to help you !!! They all speak a little English !! The Villas are Magnificent ! All New & modern, full kitchens (not that we did any cooking) But nice to have a full size fridge to fill full of Botttled water & Beer and Pop etc. . Microwave,coffeemachine, all the amenities of a modern Canadian or American Household !Un-limited Hot water, And everything else worked ! Breakfast was included, not the greatest breakfast but they are trying ! Had supper there a couple of times and food was great ! Although a bit more pricey than going into SanJuan Del Sur. Hamburgers and fries around the pool during the day were awesome ! We were in Villa 14 which is one of the closest villas to Restaurant and Pool . Only downfall of Villa Palermo for some people would be that you need wheels to get into town! I had rented a car so was no problem for me,But Hotel staff will run you into SanJUanDelSur & pick you up anytime ! Without hesitation and free ! Give the driver a $1.00 Us or $2 U.S. Tip They are more than Happy to take you into town ! I can't say enough about this place, it was our home away from home for 2 &1/2 weeks, bring a little padlock for your suitcase as there is no room safe, so I just locked up one of our suitcases(with the cash & passports etc.,) when we weren't there. Villa Palermo is one of the nicest places to stay at in all of Nicaragua !!! Especially for the price !!! One thing they should do is Cut two trees that are inhibiting the Ocean View !Or replant them more off to the side ! I have been to the Mayan Riviera twice and other places in Mexico and this place has them all beat ! And we don't stay in anything less than 41/2 stars in Mexico ,so you need'nt have any worries about Villa Palermo !

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Happy_Kayaker, Marketing Manager at Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, March 31, 2010
Thanks for all the good words - and we listen, too! There is now a locking cabinet in the kitchen of each villa for guests to secure passports, laptops, cash, whatever... Or you can just lock up your groceries!!! We hope you return soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
California
Reviewed March 27, 2010

We recently had our wedding at Palermo (30 people) and we could not be happier with our experience at the resort. It's a VERY NICE AND COMFORTABLE resort. It's not over the top, but definitely nice. If you're on a backpack budget, it's probably a bit much for you (or me, or anyone looking for basic lodging). We've been lucky enough to do a fair amount of traveling (we've camped, slept in tree houses, stayed in 4 star hotels, B&B's, rented houses, etc.). My wife has a background in F&B and travel, and has worked for companies like Marriott and the Four Seasons. She was extremely happy with the service and the property. I would go so far as to say, the service was better than the US. The staff is genuinely friendly, hard-working and very good at what they do. Boucho took care of us the whole time we were there and is pretty much the coolest guy on the planet. Sharon and especially Gabby (our wedding coordinator that works with, but not for, the resort) made our wedding run flawlessly. I would definitely recommend this resort for anyone traveling to the SJDS area on vacation that wants to be comfortable and would further recommend it for anyone looking for a unique wedding destination, with a professionally run wedding. We will definitely return as soon as we can.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank busto999
Phila
Reviewed March 1, 2010

Nicaragua is the most beautiful place.. Everyone couldn’t understand why we picked there!!! Once you been I will understand why!! Make sure you can speak Spanish; you will be lost without it. Beware of the Police (SHADY) and their rental car scandal!!!!!! Stayed at the Palermo... words can not describe this Villa or the view!!! I'll will put a photo IN SOON!!

Reviewed February 16, 2010

Things we loved: The photos of the villas say it all. This place is beautiful and the villas so spotless I thought I had walked into a model home. The floor plan is perfect and so spacious. We liked its location - close to town yet above it all. We loved Bosco who took us into town every day in the tuk-tuk! We took advantage of happy hour cocktails by the pool, and appreciated the breakfast on the patio being served until 11:00am. I had a beautiful steak dinner one evening. I ordered my filet "medio-rojo" and it came out perfectly medium-rare. It also made for a great steak sandwich the next day. One more thing I think I really liked is that, compared with, say, Piedras y Olas, it seemed to have a more international clientele, and therefore felt more like I was in Nicaragua / Central America and not at a convention in the U.S.
Things we would change: Zero. Ok, maybe trim the tree branches that were brushing up against our bedroom window at night. (I actually thought about inquiring into that, but it was such a well-run place I figured they would probably go and DO it, in which case I would feel bad having made such a request!)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Nosara
Reviewed January 13, 2010

My family took advantage of the 0vida renewal" package offered online. I was skeptical at first, thinking the price must be wtong, the rooms would be a dump, or too removed from town. Or wax fanadtic, the villas are beautiful, just like in the photos, landscape and views are gorgeous and the whole place is just a five minute drive from the town, where staff will drip you off and pick you up, whenever you want. Bosco the main driver is fantastic, genuine and a wonderful ambassador to the hotel. He met us at the birder and made us feel welcome immediately. My only complaint would be about the food, as a restauranteur though I can be picky. I noticed the plates often arrived different to how they were described on the menu. They had a heavy hand on the artificial seasoning, and the steak I ordered rare ( to compensate for the tendency to overcook meat in Central America) came well done. I can tolerate medium, but beyond that, I'm just not interested in eating it. I sent it back, and choked through
the second plate that came, cooked just as much as the first was and I was too embarrased to refuse it a second time. Breakfast was great, and the service was wonderful, the rooms do come with full kitchens, so next time I will cook in or check out pelican eyes restaurant again.

much as the first. though friends raved that the food was fantastic.

• Stayed January 2010
California
Reviewed December 11, 2009

First of I really liked the location. Far enough from SJ to be quiet and private, but close enough to go to SJ in a few minutes to enjoy the restuarants and town. Also very close to PALI where you can get everything you need to take advantage of the fully equipped kitchen. That being said I would recommend having a rental car. The bay views from the patio were great and we saw the first cruise ship of the season. The furniture/appliance package is one of the nicest I have seen in Nicaragua, richly decorated with dark wood, the villa also has central air, great showers, good water pressure and modern fancy appliances. As a business traveler I very much appreciated having wireless internet from my villa. I would gladly return to this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
los angeles
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Palermo made my trip to San Juan extremely enjoyable. It was nice being up in the hills away from the downtown/beach area. But it was also nice knowing that I could be down in the action at a moment's notice. The views are worth a million bucks. The pool was unbelievable, and I was incredibly impressed with the overall cleanliness of the villa. The maid service was great. I especially enjoyed having such a nice kitchen to cook in. It's nice having the option to cook for yourself rather than eating out for every meal.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends