“Beautiful and Relaxing”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco, California
“Beautiful and Relaxing”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I recently joined my boyfriend in Nicaragua for a week and stayed at the Villas de Palermo, where he is living for a few months. The villas are nicely appointed and very comfortable. I liked the woodwork and the front porch, especially. We had a nice view of the beach and "El Grande Jesus" (our name for the big Jesus statue near the beach) from the upper balcony as well. I wouldn't call the Villas de Palermo fancy, but I would call them comfortable, clean and attractive. I agree with the other reviewers about the water in the shower. It was either scalding hot, if the water heater kicked on, or refreshingly cool. We didn't mind that much, but if I HAD to pick something to complain about that would be the only thing.

Having a kitchen was really awesome. We ate breakfast in the villa everyday. I loooooved sitting on the front porch when the rain came through. Very zen. Darn, why did I come back to the US?

It helps a lot if you speak some Spanish in Nicaragua, as both my boyfriend and I do. The staff in the reception area speak English, but i'm not sure if many of the others do. Anyway, it's a Spanish-speaking country, so learn some Spanish. It's a good language to know! I digress...

The pool area was nice and never crowded. My only recommendation about that is that they might consider getting slightly thicker pads for the lounge chairs. They are lovely chairs but made of wood and kind of hard and the pads they have for them are a bit thin.

There are many beautiful flowers around the property. The red hibiscus is my favorite. Also, Nicaragua has many, many butterflies of many different colors. Very magical.

Tip: If you take the mototaxi shuttle to town (the little one with the open sides), sit in the middle. You'll see... :)

Room Tip: We were in one of the lower villas, closer to the pool and restaurant. I think there are better view...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jessicabythebay
VillasdePalermo, Director of Sales at Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Hi Jessica,
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit with your boyfriend at Villas de Palermo. While many of the employees in reception and the restaurant in Palermo can speak English, we certainly agree that learning some spanish is hugely helpful when traveling in Nicaragua. Thanks for your advice and we hope that you'll visit again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This past January, my husband and I got married in San Juan Del Sur using a groupon wedding package that the resort was offering. It was gorgeous and the accommodations were great.

The things we loved: The view from the villa (we reserved a villa at the highest point), the food, the prices, the people, and the size of the hotel. The activities like the zip lining was only $30 a person and it was right on the grounds... and it was amazing! San Juan del Sur is great for people that like to explore a new place with some help getting around.

Things we didn't love: The unpredictability of the shower temperature and pressure (not that terrible really), and not having phones in the villas. Normally, this would not be an issue. However, our guests were staying at different villas in different areas of the resort. So in order to communicate, we used the free WiFi to connect to the internet with our phones. if you're coming with a large group, try to stay on close, I guess.

I wish I would have brushed up on my Spanish a little more before going. However, many of the staff members spoke English very well.

Room Tip: If your legs can handle it, we recommend the villas on the top of the hill! Such a great view and ve...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Leah K
VillasdePalermo, Director of Sales at Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed having your wedding at Palermo. We hope that your guests enjoyed their stay as well. Because of the high iron content in the water in Nicaragua, we are constantly cleaning the shower heads and water system. We apologize if the water in your shower was inconsistent. It is something we are trying to improve for the future. We hope that you will return again some day. We always offer discounts for returning guests!
Palmas, TO
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This hotel looks more like a house, it has a kitchen, living room, balcony, it has a lot of space. SanJuan is a party town, great for surfing, meeting interesting people or just relax. You can do it all in this place. It is a little far from the city but we always had a suttle bus taking us to downtown. No a problem at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank KeciaFerreira
VillasdePalermo, Director of Sales at Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thanks for your review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent visit. We are working on continuing the efficiency of the shuttle service to make it easier for people to get to and from town on a regular basis. Thanks for your feedback. We hope to see you down here again!
Topanga, California
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at the Villa for two nights and found the accommodations quite luxurious for the area. We only ate breakfast here but it was very tasty. Our only complaint was that the manager seemed a little rude and wouldn't let us have a glass of water as we were leaving.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank maracujagirl
Vineland, New Jersey
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My friend and I stayed in Villa 13 from July 12 - July 18. The villa was situated right accross from the main office / reception area and restaurant. It was absolutely perfect in every way. We had breakfast and dinner in the restaurant almost every day and the chef prepared absolutely delicious food. Whole grilled snapper, Mayan steak, fresh fruit with almost every meal. The prices were very reasonable and the service was spectacuar in every way. The daily housekeeping service was exceptional and she was vey nice too, by the way. The gate house security did a great job, recognizing us when we returned after each trek to town via local taxis. The daily shuttle van service dropped us off in town wherever we requested. Although it was a few minutes out of town, it was definately worth it ! I will stay no where else on my next trip to San Juan Del Sur !

Room Tip: Villa 13 was located close to the restaurant and office.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
VillasdePalermo, Director of Sales at Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review Patti. We really appreciate it. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Palermo. We hope that you will come back again!
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had a great stay at Villas de Palermo! The Villas were even nicer than I expected and had beautiful views from every room. The villas are a close walk into town or a short cab or shuttle ride away from the main nightlife and markets in San Juan del Sur. The property has lots of natural wildlife and you can often see rare exotic birds and butterflies while you walk to your villa. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and was always very helpful. I would definitely recommend guests to stay here if they are looking for a more relaxed experience in San Juan del Sur.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
VillasdePalermo, Director of Sales at Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thanks for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Villas de Palermo!
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My villa wasnt just dirty. There was mouse poop all over the counters and on top of the microwave. There were dead worms and an infestation of worms in one of the utensils drawers. The kitchen was dirty,One of the bathrooms wasnt cleaned and when I went to talk to the receptionist about the issues with the villa they told me they will send someone to fumigate. I asked for another villa of course they didnt want to give me another one. They wanted me to stay in that villa while they fumigate it, the receptionist told me that will be some odor. I told them I wanted a different villa. After talking to their manager they gave me another one since I told them that I wouldnt stay in the villa for safety and obvious reasons. The other villa had issues with the door. You couldnt close or open the door easily and it was a little dirty but nothing like the other one. Once I got back home I saw they charged me twice and I have called them and sent them email and I havent gotten a call or email back. Overall, my stay there was awful. I will never go there again. Customer service is even worse. Obviously they dont care. It is in a nice area but place is very bad condition. I had friends that had issues with their villas too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank isabelrg02
VillasdePalermo, Director of Sales at Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
We agree that your welcome at our hotel was less than perfect. We do apologize that the first villa you entered was unclean by mistake but upon learning this news we immediately moved you to a new villa to accommodate you. We can assure you that there are no mice or worms in the villas. Admittedly there occasionally are small geckos which can get into the villas. They are completely harmless and eat mosquitos. You will find them at any hotel or house you stay at in San Juan del Sur. With regards to the mistake on your bill, we emailed you multiple times to make the correction.
In any event, we are very sorry to hear that you had a negative experience. Every stay cannot be perfect, but our staff does sincerely care and want everyone to have a great experience in Nicaragua at Villas de Palermo.