“Great villas and beautiful views!”

Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great villas and beautiful views!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had a great stay at Villas de Palermo! The Villas were even nicer than I expected and had beautiful views from every room. The villas are a close walk into town or a short cab or shuttle ride away from the main nightlife and markets in San Juan del Sur. The property has lots of natural wildlife and you can often see rare exotic birds and butterflies while you walk to your villa. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and was always very helpful. I would definitely recommend guests to stay here if they are looking for a more relaxed experience in San Juan del Sur.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
VillasdePalermo, Director of Sales at Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thanks for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Villas de Palermo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My villa wasnt just dirty. There was mouse poop all over the counters and on top of the microwave. There were dead worms and an infestation of worms in one of the utensils drawers. The kitchen was dirty,One of the bathrooms wasnt cleaned and when I went to talk to the receptionist about the issues with the villa they told me they will send someone to fumigate. I asked for another villa of course they didnt want to give me another one. They wanted me to stay in that villa while they fumigate it, the receptionist told me that will be some odor. I told them I wanted a different villa. After talking to their manager they gave me another one since I told them that I wouldnt stay in the villa for safety and obvious reasons. The other villa had issues with the door. You couldnt close or open the door easily and it was a little dirty but nothing like the other one. Once I got back home I saw they charged me twice and I have called them and sent them email and I havent gotten a call or email back. Overall, my stay there was awful. I will never go there again. Customer service is even worse. Obviously they dont care. It is in a nice area but place is very bad condition. I had friends that had issues with their villas too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank isabelrg02
VillasdePalermo, Director of Sales at Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
We agree that your welcome at our hotel was less than perfect. We do apologize that the first villa you entered was unclean by mistake but upon learning this news we immediately moved you to a new villa to accommodate you. We can assure you that there are no mice or worms in the villas. Admittedly there occasionally are small geckos which can get into the villas. They are completely harmless and eat mosquitos. You will find them at any hotel or house you stay at in San Juan del Sur. With regards to the mistake on your bill, we emailed you multiple times to make the correction.
In any event, we are very sorry to hear that you had a negative experience. Every stay cannot be perfect, but our staff does sincerely care and want everyone to have a great experience in Nicaragua at Villas de Palermo.
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We were here for a wedding in 2009, and stayed several days after too. The entire property is absolutely beautiful, stunning views, the villas beautifully decorated and VERY spacious. There is a ton to do in the area, and is such a beautiful part of the country. I highly recommend this place. For the money we spent here you won't have a better vacation. We look back at this place and our trip to Nica very fondly. Don't hesitate to book here, you will LOVE it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
VillasdePalermo, Director of Sales at Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to Villas de Palermo. We hope that you will return again in the future. Be sure to ask about discounts for returning visitors.
Indiana
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We may not have sought out this place on our own, but a Groupon Offer led us to check out their website and reviews. We were not at all disappointed with the Palermo Resort. We had a clean, spacious villa with 2 bed/ 2 bath, full kitchen, living room, back porch and small upstair deck. The kitchen is equipped so you can cook your own meals. But, there isn't a need to cook since they have a restaurant. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner and the food is great.

The resort is up in a mountain so you have a great view of the ocean. The only activities at the resort are swimming (pool is really nice), yoga, and massages, but sitting in the rockers on the porch is a very relaxing way to spend some time too.They offer free shuttle to San Juan Del Sur up to 6:00 pm in the evening. We made several trips to town.

We really enjoyed our stay and would go back. If I had to make any recommendations to the resort staff -- it would be to install hair dryers and facial tissue boxes in the bathroom. They kindly lent me a hair dryer while I was there and we just used toilet paper for face-tissue.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ashes2007
VillasdePalermo, Director of Sales at Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit. We do offer several off-site activities that our concierge can arrange for you including surfing, zip-line canopy, horseback riding, catamaran sailing and more. We hope that you will consider staying with us again on your visit to Nica!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Very accomodating place, I will always stay here when I come to SJDS. For the price of the crappiest motel room in the slums of Los Angeles you can get a 2 bedroom, 2 story villa with a full kitchen, beautiful views and excellent pool! The food is not superb though and the restaurant staff could be a little friendlier, but other than that, great place!

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa #31 and it was a great location, not too far from the pool/clubhouse but offered...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
VillasdePalermo, Director of Sales at Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to Villas de Palermo. Yes, prices in Nicaragua are a fraction of those in in LA. And discounts are available for returning hotel guests so we hope that you will visit again. Thanks.
Chinandega, Nicaragua
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Thanks for getting us all set up. We all enjoyed it very much. The place was spotless and very comfortable, even with 4 people and the staff took care of us in a friendly and efficient manner. We'll be back soon.

• Stayed May 2013
Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay, found the staff friendly and the rooms spotless. We strive to make your stay as relaxing and comfortable as possible. Discounts are always available for returning guests so come back any time!
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Driving up to this place, it didn't look like much...but the staff was very friendly and our villa (21) was quite lovely! 2 story, bed/bath upstairs, full kitchen/living/bed/bath downstairs. Here's tip #1, The villa has great central air for all but the downstairs bedroom...it has it's own wall a/c and it is awesome! The place would lose power once or twice per night and the central a/c would reset itself back to 81 degrees...hot hot hot...but the single unit kept to where I'd set it at very cold. Had a few bugs creep in...a small spider a line of ants (which housekeeping caught the next day and eradicated) and a caterpillar, nothing too scary. A very nice kitty, that we named Ginger, was hanging around our patio. She was so skinny, I couldn't help but give her some leftovers...I'm sure mgmt frowns on that, but she was a sweetheart and sat in my lap every time I was outside reading. Lots of butterflies and hummingbirds buzzing around all the hibiscus on property, which is built on a mountainside. It was a pretty steep (downhill) walk to get to the pool/restaurant area, but it was doable. The pool area is very nice and clean...no umbrellas and little shade, so make sure your sunblock is fresh!! Ours was not and we got fried. No giftshop or anything on property, so you have to catch the van into town if you forgot anything. The restaurant on-sight was terrific and since we chose the option to receive $250 room credit, we ate every meal there. We ended up catching a ride back uphill every night in their little moped/rickshaw looking thing. lol, don't know if it was just because we were drunk or if everyone gets it? It's my understanding that it's off season there in the beginning of may...it wasn't busy, and so we didn't have to reserve a place on the van into town. -And then the driver just asked us what time we wanted picked back up. The staff was great, they arranged all of our taxi/van needs for us.
**Keep reading for transportation/border crossing info!**

We were headed to Guanacaste, Costa Rica for a wedding, found this hotel on Groupon and decided to check it out. On a wednesday, We flew into Liberia, grabbed a red taxi and I want to say it was about an hour and a half to the border/$50 total for 3 people. Getting across the border was a little harrowing...we each paid $1 to one lady in a booth, then $12 each to exit Costa Rica...Bring lots of small bills because they wanted US dollars and then didn't have change for a $20. Luckily we had it and made a lot of change for others. Loads of people trying to get you to change/buy their money or give money to their disabled relative. Sad..and as I was actually about to give this woman a dollar, but she got all attitude on the people in front of us because only one person of the group gave her anything. She lost that freebie! Anyway, we just followed the backpackers in front of us, several hundred feet, across dirt/rocks, dodging semi trucks and in the blazing sun. I think a couple guys tried to help us carry our bags, but our limited spanish could't get that conversation finished and we had no idea where we/they were going anyway. We also had a guy, not in any kind of uniform, come up and give us the next piece of paperwork we'd need to enter Nicaragua. Of course, he then wanted a tip. We'd already taken it from him and filled it out before we realized he was not official (l guess the knock-off Polo shirt should've been our first clue) but we pretended not to know what a "propina" was and he eventually gave up on us. We finally make it to the Nicaragua border and there we had to pay again...$10 this time. Villas de Palermo had sent a driver and he had a sign with my name on it, which was reassuring....well, until he disappeared. Another fellow kept trying to take our bags and get us to follow him....seemed sketchy, but driver guy was nowhere, so we followed him. It turns out the waiting cabs have to wait on the other side of the wall, so guy was there with a/c waiting. nice. btw, There weren't any lines or delays leaving Costa Rica. Upon our return, on a tuesday, we breezed through leaving Nicaragua...I want to say we paid $6 this time? Lots of people there selling pens, food, etc. There was a bit of delay getting back into CR, and they make you wait outside in the heat. I think the delay was trying to get all the people who didn't speak spanish to show the Customs officials proof of when they were leaving CR. My friends showed their airline printout and I showed them my eticket from my phone. We used LAR Transport for our trip to Guanacaste, but that was arranged by our hotel. There were a lot of busses and waiting taxis for people to use. I won't, but if I were going to go to SJDS again, I would probably fly into Managua and take the longer taxi ride and avoid the border crossing.

Room Tip: If you have any trouble waking, I'd ask for a villa close to reception. And make you snag the s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Angela M
Thank you for the very detailed input on your recent visit and the border crossing from Costa Rica. I am sure that many travelers will find your input helpful. We hope you consider a return visit to Villas!