We stayed here for over a month and enjoyed it immensely. The grounds are well kept, but still natural feeling, the staff is very friendly and the resort blends top notch attentiveness and responsiveness with the easy, unhurried pace that you want in a place like this. The restaurant was once run by one of the best gourmet chefs in Nicaragua and it has retained the presentation and flavor that he instilled there. Every meal was enjoyable. We taught the bar staff how to make ice-coffees, which they wrinkled their noses at, but eventually got quite good at.
I think the most universally enjoyable aspect of this place was the people. From the front desk to the guard gate, to the groundsmen and shuttle driver - everyone was friendly, easy to ask a question or just to shoot the breeze with in my poor but improving spanish (thanks to the fact that this whole part of the world has only partially adopted the English lingua franca.)
The pool was clean, the views were amazing from the upper two rows of rooms, the yoga platform we enjoyed frequently under the instruction of excellent US and local teachers and the free shuttle to and from town was quite a perk. The low cost of everything only adds to the feeling of value and enjoyment. This place also has the most thorough maid service I have EVER experienced. Our cleaning person would arrive and spend up to the three hours cleaning each day. We got spoiled leaving our dishes in the sink and clothes on the floor only to find everything in its place on our return. Of course there is a little more to clean here during the rainy season with the bug invasions and dirty shoes but without fail the place was good as new each day.
The units themselves are really well done with nice finishes (but there was a little to be desired on the "fit" raising the electricity bill if you choose to use A/C), decorations and a sufficient collection of appliances, utensils and dishes for a family of four. I accidentally drank the water from the sink the first week mistakenly remembering that it was filtered but did not get sick (did not get sick at all during the whole month here, actually) despite the roughly two gallons I gulped down each day to allow the sweat to pour out while cycling (great road quality and great mountain bike terrain out the back door door), hiking (also out the back door) or hanging out at the pool where I was more likely to enjoy a Victoria served ice-cold or brought down from our own refrigerator.
If I had to find a fault it would be with the Internet service which, despite the management's attempt to provide redundancy was often down and always slow at 500 kb/sec. But each unit did have its own wireless router with free service. The whole town's Internet and electricity for that matter was often down while we were there which we was told was becoming much more infrequent after recent regional upgrades.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palermo Hotel and Resort is located in San Juan del Sur, a city that bridges Costa Rica and Nicaragua on the Pacific Ocean. The hotel features 50 villas, poolside spa, flexible in-room work spaces, full-kitchens and room service, wireless broadband connectivity throughout the property, as well as both large and small, air-conditioned conference and meeting spaces. Villas are for rent by the day, week or month, as well as for sale as vacation homes. Terraza de Palermo Restaurant and Bar offer a dramatic dining experience overlooking the tropical pool and sunsets into the Pacific Ocean. Locally sourced, vegetarian, vegan, healthy and Nicaraguan meal service available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas De Palermo Hotel And Resort
- Villas De Palermo Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Villas De Palermo Hotel & Resort Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur