“Best trip I have ever taken”

Hotel Park Avenue Villas
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I have traveled, with the military, all around the world and this was the most beautiful, relaxing and enjoyable trip I have ever taken. The rooms were large, clean and very livable. The views from our room were breathtaking. The staff were courteous and always willing to help. I would and have recommended this place to my friends and co-workers. The best paradise trip and the least expensive you will find.

Pack your bags today and book it. I know I am:)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lncret

Reviewed May 16, 2009

I stayed at the Park Avenue Villas in March 2009. I was visiting my daughter and her boyfriend who were living there. She had checked out all the hotels for me and decided this one best suited my needs. It has a wonderful courtyard area with a wonderful swimming pool. The second level has an enormous shared balcony area that overlooks the bay and allows for wonderful sunset watching. Just 2 blocks from the water.
We had a suite with ceiling fans, air conditioning, kithen and a private balacony. Wonderful and comfortable.
The hosts and owners Ralph and Renda are very social and accomodating making sure you are taken care of. They can always be found in the late afternoon on the balcony watching the sun go down.
Do bring a flashlight and be prepared for power outages. They do have propane lamps in every room just in case!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2009

My 16 year old daughter and I spent 9 days at Park Avenue Villas during spring break. I initially chose Park Avenue Villas solely as they were the only place that replied to all of my emails and the price was right. After visiting San Juan, I felt confident that I had chosen the best option in town based on our preferences.

We rarely stayed in our room when at the hotel, except when watching TV or movies, as the front viewing deck was such a pleasant place to be. Watching the sunset was a daily event. The view was fantastic and we often met other guests here. Internet reception was usually best on the deck as well.

The hosts, Ralph and Renda from Texas, were friendly and very knowledgeable on local restaurants and tourist attractions. The rest of the local staff were wonderful as well. All spoke English but to varying levels.

The rooms were like new and the whole facility was always totally spotless. We chose a junior suite which was perfect for us - a small kitchenette that we used mainly for heating up leftovers and for keeping drinks and snacks. There were plenty of electrical outlets.

The location was only about a block and a half from the beach and up on the hill slightly which gave us the wonderful views. It was very quiet and peaceful although at times there were children playing in the park below. There were numerous excellent restaurants nearby from a few minutes to about a 10 minute walk away.

The pool was adequate for the size of the place although the deck area was not that large or inviting. Much of the pool area was shaded being in the centre of the hotel. The pool didn't have too much chlorine and appeared to be very well maintained.

There was a watchman at the front door at all times. I felt perfectly comfortable with leaving valuables in my room and very secure at night as the front gate was locked and watched. Not that San Juan is a not a safe place to be however!

The price was right. As opposed to many of the other places in town no breakfast was served. Some days it might have been nice to have had breakfast prepared for me and to have eaten on the front deck but in general I appreciated the reduction in price compared to the other accommodation and the opportunity it gave us to try out all of the excellent and well priced breakfast locations in town.

The hotel has about 10 rooms and was the perfect size for us. The hotel was not full during our visit. While we missed out on meeting other travellers, we also received more personal attention and the atmosphere was closer to a smaller bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2009
2  Thank sixtysix66_66_66
Reviewed January 26, 2009

There is no better place to stay in San Juan del Sur. The prices are very reasonable - each room is basically a mini apartment. We stayed in a midlevel suite with living room, tv, kitchen, 5 gallon water jug, air conditioning in every room, plentiful hot water, etc etc. There were dishes for us to use, and room service cleaned and put everything back for us. There is a nice pool in the middle of the hotel that is open to the sky, which is great to just float around in at night. At the time I went, we were the only people in the hotel since it was a slow time. Ralph and Renda, who stay in one of the larger suites, were amazing hosts - setting up zip lining tours, taking us around the town, and helping us in every way possible.

We considered some of the other hotels in the area (Pelican Eyes, Villa Isabella, etc) but we were so glad that we picked Park Avenue Villas. The other hotels were about the same price, if not more expensive, and they required a lot more walking up hills to get to. This hotel is located a block from the beach, right by the best restaurants (El Timon, Iguana), and there is a great atv rental spot ($20 for an hour, on your own, go wherever you want - awesome!).

San Juan del Sur is an extremely safe town (walking around at night was not a problem at all), and the Park Avenue Villas have a security guard at night with a locked gate, so safety was never an issue.

I'm definitely staying there again when I go back to Nica.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank doki8
Reviewed December 4, 2008

We recently spent a week at the Park Avenue Villas in San Juan Del Sur and had no expectations of what we would find. On a scale of 1 - 10 this hotel is a 20!! We went all around town and saw other hotels and none had the view of Park Avenue Villas. The accomodations are very nice and spacious and modern with a Central American flare. The owners Ralph and Renda helped us plan and schedule activities and have hired a wonderful staff that are more than willing to get you whatever you need. The beach was a very short walk from the hotel and there is no need for transportation while you are there because you can walk everywhere!! It gives you an opportunity to talk to the locals and see what this quaint little town has to offer. We were lucky to see 3 cruise ships come and go during our stay as well as a very expensive yacht!! I wouldn't stay anywhere else and am planning a return trip next year!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank loushcu
Reviewed December 1, 2008

We arrived in San Juan thinking we'd just stay for 2 - 3 days. But we just couldn't tear ourselves away from San Juan. The town was wonderful but our stay wouldn't have been the same if we didn't find Park Avenue Villas. The value of this hotel cannot be understated - we wanted to be comfortable and close to the beach. Ofcourse a view from the premises would be nice - and we found all that we wanted at this fine hotel. Ralph and Renda as the proprietors of this establishment are top notch. There may be other fine hotels in the area, but I believe you won't find a better value in all of San Juan Del Sur. And to not mention the friendly and helpful staff I couldn't forgive myself. Go ahead and stay awhile at the Park Ave Villas - you won't be sorry!!

Erik, Eileen & Kyle Bean
Healdsburg, CA

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Erikb1006
Reviewed November 17, 2008

Like many travelers, I maniacly search the internet for THE place to stay when I go on vacation. Our trip to San Juan del Sur was no exception. So if you are like me and you HAVE to read a million tripadvisor reviews and exhaust every known search engine before you choose your lodging, go ahead....or you could work smart and not hard and follow the advice of everyone who has reviewed Park Avenue Villas. This is THE best place to stay in San Juan del Sur, without a doubt.

The hotel is immaculately clean, inside the rooms/suites and out. You get a kitchen, which is a huge bonus. The high end, tiled, outdoor pool is perfectly maintained and extremely refreshing. Safety is not an issue, because there is a friendly gentleman working the gate 24 hours a day. The rooms have great a/c, ceiling fans, and tons of cable tv channels. Everything is within walking distance...the market, the beach, every restaurant and bar, coffee shops, surf shops...everything...And maybe the best feature is the huge common area overlooking the town and the sea and perfect for sunset watching and reading.

Ralph and Renda, owners of Park Avenue Villas and Texas natives, make you feel at home immediately. They are as gracious as hosts can be. You feel like you are a guest in their home as opposed to their hotel. Not only do they run a great hotel, they are also extremely active in the community, which is another excellent reason to support them.

Book it!