I have already reviewed this property and have returned to it four times in the past year and a half. I am not fond of San Juan del Sur but I make the journey just to stay at Pelican Eyes. I decided to honeymoon in Nicaragua and one of the prime reasons was this unique hotel. I made my reservation months in advance and informed the clerk (via telephone) that it was my honeymoon and that I wanted a special room. I also asked to be booked on a Pelican Eyes sail during our stay. We checked into the hotel only to find that no one had booked us on the sailboat and the room they assigned us was one of the least appealing that I had stayed in over the course of my visits. The front desk did book us on a Friday sail but on Friday morning, over breakfast, before the departure, we were told that a private group had reserved the boat and didn't want additional passengers. We did end up going but it required some very stressful moments and hurt feelings. The front desk could have been more professional in handling this. The other issue I experienced during this stay is that the hotel charged us two massages when we had already paid for those services. Make sure to review your bill carefully.
As some have mentioned in the past, if you don't like animals, you probably shouldn't stay here. We were delighted to have the company of a wonderful kitty that spend each night with us in our room. We love animals and love that Piedras y Olas actually does something for the neglected animals of San Juan. Also, be aware that the electricity does go out at 7pm each night- Pelican Eyes has a generator, so it won't affect you there. This may mean having to eat more meals there than at some of the good (and cheaper) restaurants in town. Also, San Juan is not a particularly nice place to visit. If you travel to Nicaragua, make sure to visit the beautiful areas like Granada, León, Laguna de Apoyo, Little Corn Island. The beaches aren't too impressive in San Juan (though the sunsets are special).
I still think this is a unique property in Nicaragua and I hope the management provides more hopitality training to ensure a pleasant stay for all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa offers a stunning hillside location and panoramic views of San Juan del Sur and the ocean beyond. Our infinity pools, spacious accommodations, romantically lush gardens, wonderful restaurants, open air bars, and one-of-a-kind San Juan Del Sur coastline sailing adventure are a unique experience.A visit to our Tranquila Day Spa is an experience of sheer indulgence. We offer a menu of massage and body treatments to ensure that you truly relax on your romantic Nicaraguan getaway. Experience more of Nicaragua with day trips to Granada or the artisan markets in Masaya. Here at the resort, open air yoga classes, water aerobics, and active local excursions (arranged by our concierge) help keep you fit while visiting paradise. Even our brick stairs—winding up the hillside — contribute to the cause!Our San Juan del Sur hotel’s mission is to provide a unique and memorable Nicaragua vacation experience in every aspect of your stay. Our friendly staff endeavors to fulfill every possible need or special request (and to predict those wishes perhaps not yet even realized!)No request is too big or too small. Let us know what we can do to enhance your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Eyes Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hotel Pelican Eyes
- Resort Pelican Eyes
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur