We just returned from our second visit to Nicaragua and our second visit to Hotel Pelican Eyes. This is simply an amazing hotel. The views from the casas and pools are gorgeous; the staff could not be more friendly and helpful; the rooms and casas themselves are elegant and roomy (many with beautiful views); breakfasts are fabulous; and prices are reasonable when you consider all the amenities and views you are getting. The hotel is within walking distance of the town so you can interact with local people. Most importantly, you can feel good about the money you are spending because the hotel generates money for a foundation that supports all sorts of worthy local projects, many of them educational. One project involves providing veternarian care for injured, abandoned or orphaned animals, including caring for some wild animals who cannot be returned to their natural habitats. Many of these animals live around the grounds, so animal lovers in particular will enjoy this place.
We are not resort-oriented people, but we will keep coming back to Pelican Eyes. I think it would be a particularly great place to come with extended family, as it would appeal to all sorts of people. Adventurous family members could go off to explore remote beaches; hike in rainforests; try a zip line; and practice their Spanish in the local shops. More sedentary family members could relax by the three fabulous pools. If anyone in the family has a problem with stairs (there are lots of them), choose a casa that is accessible by car, and the hotel staff will shuttle them back and forth. In our experience, this is one of the few hotels in Nicaragua where you can get by with very little Spanish, so that's another consideration if you're traveling with some non-Spanish speakers.
Don't miss the sailing trip, which offers cocktails and the chance to swim at a remote beach (we heard howler monkeys while swimming). Also, if you are traveling during July or August, don't miss the opportunity to see endanged sea turtles lay their eggs. It was the most moving experiences of my life.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa offers a stunning hillside location and panoramic views of San Juan del Sur and the ocean beyond. Our infinity pools, spacious accommodations, romantically lush gardens, wonderful restaurants, open air bars, and one-of-a-kind San Juan Del Sur coastline sailing adventure are a unique experience.A visit to our Tranquila Day Spa is an experience of sheer indulgence. We offer a menu of massage and body treatments to ensure that you truly relax on your romantic Nicaraguan getaway. Experience more of Nicaragua with day trips to Granada or the artisan markets in Masaya. Here at the resort, open air yoga classes, water aerobics, and active local excursions (arranged by our concierge) help keep you fit while visiting paradise. Even our brick stairs—winding up the hillside — contribute to the cause!Our San Juan del Sur hotel’s mission is to provide a unique and memorable Nicaragua vacation experience in every aspect of your stay. Our friendly staff endeavors to fulfill every possible need or special request (and to predict those wishes perhaps not yet even realized!)No request is too big or too small. Let us know what we can do to enhance your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Preferred Hotels, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Eyes Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hotel Pelican Eyes
- Resort Pelican Eyes
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur